• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels promoting Detmers and Rodriguez to AAA

mmc

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I was curious why they promoted them to AAA and someone on twitter said because of covid protocols you can’t promote from AA at this time.  Not sure if that is true or not, but if it is then it makes perfect sense.  

Good catch - almost certainly feels like a pre-cursor to a MLB call-up then.

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I was curious why they promoted them to AAA and someone on twitter said because of covid protocols you can’t promote from AA at this time.  Not sure if that is true or not, but if it is then it makes perfect sense.  

Interesting.  I hadn't heard that.  Seems odd.  But, yeah, sure hope this is just a quick stepping stone.  Definitely don't want them spending much time in that environment.

3 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but has there ever been any talk of the Angels moving their AAA out of a high-elevation city?

I think during the minor league re-org this winter all affiliates started a new ten-year deal, so it won't be for awhile...

Also, these moves were just announced on the Angels PR Twitter account.  Generally speaking, they only mention minor league news if it's a) about someone winning a "Player of the Week/Month"-type award, or b) a move that also impacts the big league club, like someone getting sent down from the Angels when someone else gets called up.  Could be another sign that both Detmers and Rodriguez will be on the active roster very soon.

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/covid-related-rules-for-prospect-callups

Before the pandemic, a player could be called up from any level, though they obviously came mostly from Triple-A. Now, only players from that highest level of Minor League competition are allowed to be brought up directly to the big leagues, because those players and coaches have had to adhere to the same Tier 1 protocols that are being utilized at the highest level.

For players getting promoted from Triple-A, getting a rapid test is strongly recommended.

It’s not completely impossible to call someone up from, say, Double-A, as used to happen on occasion. But that player would have to quarantine, in effect, for an extended period, before being allowed to join the big league roster, a tough hill to climb for a big league club that has an immediate need.

14 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but has there ever been any talk of the Angels moving their AAA out of a high-elevation city?

MLB teams have contraxts with specific minor league teams. When those contracts expire, they either move or they negotiate an extension. A few years back, the Angels didn't like how the park in Rancho played (for rehab and development purposes), so they allowed that contact to expire and made a deal with Inland Empire. Obviously that's been shaken up a little since MLB impressed minor league realignment.

More recently, Cedar Rapids chose not to renegotiate an extension with the Angels in the Midwest League because of several consecutive losing seasons and they felt the Angels rarely kept their best prospects in A Ball for long. So the Angels settled with Burlington. Again, that changed with realignment too. 

A few years ago, it was talked about finding a different AAA home for the Angels, but at the time, Portland was the only cost possibility and they came to terms with another team. Sacramento had very close ties with the A's and now are even closer with the Giants. Las Vegas was taken. It got so selective that the Padres ended up funding an entirely new stadium in El Paso just to have a team and circumstance they're looking for. The Angels and Salt Lake have a long working relationship and worked out a long term extension if I'm not mistaken, through 2027 I thought. 

But that may have changed with the realignment too. 

Edited by Second Base

Also I don't know if this is a good move or not, but it's just another sign that the Angels are going to begin the process of selling soon. 

Oddly enough, this team will likely improve once they sell. Replacing Heaney with Barria is a small step forward, and improves things financially. They'll need a sixth starter soon, and Rodriguez is the perfect option for that because it limits the amount of exposure he gets as a starter and limits his innings which is what you want in 2021. They'll probably get a solid offer for Alex Cobb and when they trade him, replacing him with Reid Detmers is about as good as it gets. 

If they jettison Bundy and Quintana, they can probably improve their bullpen too. 

3 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Also for anyone who missed it in the prospect thread, Keith Law just ranked Reid Detmers as his #7 prospect in all of baseball in his most recent top prospect list

E66tNccVUAcMosx?format=png&name=small

Did I blink or did someone just say "could be an ace"..... Did Keith Law forget he's writing about the angels??

All joking aside, that's pretty awesome.

Just now, Stradling said:

If Detmers is an ace, then in short order, we could have a very respectable rotation.  Ohtani, Sandoval, Suarez, Detmers is a good start.  I would still love to see Adell moved as part of a package to really solidify the rotation.  

2022 rotation.
Ohtani
Thor or someone we trade Adell for
Detmers
Bachman
Sandoval
Suarez.

Honestly not too bad..... very cost effective too.