• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Conger Improving His Receiving?

ettin

Just saw this article on BP: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=20882

At the top of the "best" list, as far as out-of-zone strikes and in-zone balls, is none other than Baby Hank!?!?

This is interesting because I noticed Hank, in his last start, was really making an effort to frame the balls when he caught them and I even thought in my head at the time that he appeared to be making a more conscious effort to improve his receiving.

Hope he keeps it up as he definitely has a bat that can play in a starter's role!

Conger has a bat? Would have never known by those two straight failures PH'ing at the end of games last week and his current hitting statistics. Conger is another journeyman who is suited for emergency work in the majors, while shuttling to and from AAA throughout his career.

Conger has a bat? Would have never known by those two straight failures PH'ing at the end of games last week and his current hitting statistics. Conger is another journeyman who is suited for emergency work in the majors, while shuttling to and from AAA throughout his career.

You do realize he has better hitting stats than 5 starters in the lineup?

Well I have to disagree with you on this one ED. As of today:

Iannetta: .209 AVG/.727 OPS

Conger: .260 AVG/.746 OPS

This is, of course, a small sample size and both have BABIP issues (Iannetta bad, Conger good). Beyond that though Hank has shown in the minors that he can hit for average, ability to get on base, and has some pop in his bat. Iannetta probably has a better eye but the differences aren't quite as wide as some would think.

I think Conger still needs to prove that his defense is improving (and he has made some blunders this year too) but if he makes those improvements he is not just a back up catcher, he belongs in our starting spot moving forward.

Conger is 25 years old and since this season is pretty much sunk, they should give him most of the starts from here on out. Iannetta is 30 years old and I don't see him progressing to become an All Star / GG type catcher anytime soon. If he was that good he would still be with the Rockies but he was pushed out by a 21 year old kid.

Conger is 25 years old and since this season is pretty much sunk, they should give him most of the starts from here on out. Iannetta is 30 years old and I don't see him progressing to become an All Star / GG type catcher anytime soon. If he was that good he would still be with the Rockies but he was pushed out by a 21 year old kid.

I agree with this and they need to bring up Calhoun, put Pujols on DL and see what he can do in the majors.

This year is pretty much done and they need to think about the future.

Well I have to disagree with you on this one ED. As of today:

Iannetta: .209 AVG/.727 OPS

Conger: .260 AVG/.746 OPS

This is, of course, a small sample size and both have BABIP issues (Iannetta bad, Conger good). Beyond that though Hank has shown in the minors that he can hit for average, ability to get on base, and has some pop in his bat. Iannetta probably has a better eye but the differences aren't quite as wide as some would think.

I think Conger still needs to prove that his defense is improving (and he has made some blunders this year too) but if he makes those improvements he is not just a back up catcher, he belongs in our starting spot moving forward.

Well, you are probably right. Perhaps if he had regular playing time his stats would look pretty good. Needs to develop a better understanding of the strike zone, though.

I just don't think Conger is ready for key late inning pinch-hitting just yet.

It's a skill that very few younger players can handle.

But because the bench has been mostly a turd this season, they've had to count on Conger for a skill that he likely will get better at down the road but not now.