• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

DSLR Cameras

Spencer

I've pretty well decided on the Canon SL1. Good portability, no serious lack of features compared with other APS-C type cameras, plus I really like that it takes full-size EF/EF-S lenses, for which Canon has a good reputation of quality.

It has been interesting to read about al of the new mirrorless models that are on the market.

Canon lenses are tough to beat, but you'll start spending a pretty penny on them if you aren't careful (as my wife mutters to herself...said the guy who has 8 lenses, most of them L, laying around). Traveling with lenses is a pain in the butt and I find myself relying more and more on just one lens, a 24-105L, + a small prime (see below). It's a little slow, f4, but with the light sensitivity of the new sensors I can get by now a lot easier with it, and with a 20+ megapixel capture I have some room to play with the crop. The 24-105, with the cropped sensor, that is going to give you a decent zoom, but poor wide angle. 

The 18-135 gets good marks from what I can tell. The downside to the lens though, it won't grow with you if you move to a full sized sensor and it looks a little big to walk around with. I would suggest you also pickup a 40mm f2.8 or the 50mm f1.8. They are both inexpensive lenses (around $100-140 and even less if you look around). Nothing fancy...but they give you a very small profile lens to walk around...great for street and snap shots. In certain environments have a big lens on the camera looks intimidating and suspicious.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/rebel-sl1.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/18-135mm-stm.htm

I doubt I ever 'move up' to a full-sized sensor, or at least not for many years, and by then I would assumedly be making enough coin to invest in a whole new batch of lenses, if need be, and actually have the experience necessary to use them.

I have read alot of good things about the 40 and 50 mm lenses, and will likely invest in the 40.

My question about that one is that the APS-C will crop images to the equivalent of a 64mm lens.

Does this mean that it will zoom like a 64mm?

Or will the focal length of 40mm still hold true, but the edges will be cut off?

No it will not zoom. The crop factor is just that, it relates to the effective crop area. It does not effect focal length. In other words, ifyou took a picture with a 50mm lens on a full frame camera, and then took another from the same spot with a cropped sensor, the image would be the same distance perspective but the viewable image would be a smaller amount of the space. A smaller amount like you would see if you zoomed in, but without actually getting closer to the image (or magnified). To illustrate, imagine looking through a small square tube at something across the room. You can only see what is inside the tube opening. Now look at the same thing with a larger square tube. You see more of the space but the items still appear at the same distance away.  

Got it.

I would also guess the what appears on your screen prior to taking a photo is exactly the image your sensor captures.

Conversely, would the image you see through the viewfinder end up being cropped like in your tube analogy?

So why the hell do people on the interwebz get all bent out of shape over the fact that XXmm lens will be cropped to look like a YYmm lens?

If what you see on the screen or in the viewfinder is the same as what you get after you download them or print them, then why make such an issue over the edges of your photo being cropped?

I swear, the more threads I read about lenses, filters, flashes, and gadgetry, the more I think that people easily lose sight of basics like composition.and what you put in your frame.

I think I have all the info I need.

I have an SL1 and 18-55mm kit lens on order, and to round things out I will be getting myself a telephoto like a 55-250 or 70-300, and a 40mm pancake lens.

If I can't take some killer shots with this setup, then odds are I've suddenly gone blind.

Because some people don't know what the hell they are talking about...and some people are better talking about technology than actually taking photos.

Your setup is just one small piece of the puzzle...technique/style/composition/vision, etc. is the most important component.

Go check out Craft and Vision (http://www.craftandvision.com). Great site that offers some fantastic ebooks and all sorts of various topics. There are a number of free books and most of them are $5. The books are shorter than here's everything you ever wanted to know about photography encyclopedia...but they offer great information on the specific topic it's covering.

They are having a 20% off sale through July 4th.

Use the promotional code SHARP4 when you check out and pay only USD $4 OR use the code SHARP20 to get 20% off when you buy 5+ products from the Craft & Vision collection. These codes expire at 11:59 PM (PST) July 4, 2013.

• 2 weeks later...