• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

DSLR Cameras

Spencer

I'm in the market for a good camera to take with me on an upcoming hunting trip to Africa.

I figure time not spent hunting will be spent taking some awesome photographs.

I would also probably end up using the camera at work for taking photos of job sites, construction-type stuff, and on any future vacations.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Canon EOS Rebel line, and in particular the SL1, t4i, or t5i, but this is based mostly on a few of my friends' opinions, internet reviews, and the fact that these models utilize a sweet touch screen that will focus the camera on whatever object you touch.

Technical specs are what baffle me, and I don't know much of anything about lens pros/cons, apertures, ISO, shutter speed, f-stops, or any other photog mumbo jumbo.

Anybody have any lengthy experience behind a DSLR, either professionally or for fun?

What is your budget?  I have a 7d and love it.  I have heard really good things about the T4i.  Basically the higher up you go in the range the faster the camera will be and the better it can handle lower light situations.

With a T4i you can buy a good lens with it and still be at about the price of a 7d.

I use my camera for my daughter's sports and performances so I appreciate the faster speed and excellent 1080p video capabilities.

T4i is a good choice. If you are going to shoot wildlife, get a 70-200 f4 minimum. Faster lens will do better in low light (70-200 f2.8) but it's more expensive. The 100-400 is a great lens too, but expensive.

If you want a better body, you can go with the 60D. It's plenty fast for shooting sports or wildlife and handles low light very well.

I'd buy the T4i and spend the extra money on a good lens for what you're doing.

I have a friend with a 60D and it is really nice as well.  Often times the lenses cost more than the camera.  Keep that in mind.  You probably don't need the professional lenses (with a L designation) unless you have plenty of money to spend. 

My budget for a body and lens is around $800-1000, or more or less or whatever it takes to get a good package that I will be happy with for a long time.

LT: you're talking about 'speed' and looking at faster lenses. Are you referring to focus speed? The larger the aperture, the more light you can let in, hence the better you do in low light? So everything else being equal between two lenses, f2.8>f4.0 because I will very likely be shooting in low light situations?

I've looked at the 60D a bit, but not the 7D.

I think I will stay away from full frame cameras. Yes they are supposed to be 'better' in many ways, but they are also much larger and heavier, and I'm not experienced enough to take advantage of their improved capabilities.

The 60D felt heavy to me, as compared with the t4i and especially the SL1.

It uses the same sensor, same processor, and shares alot of the same features as the Rebels. Anyone care to explain where it significantly excels?

Here's a question: what features or specs will allow me to shoot in low light, and to shoot quickly such as to capture a moving object or sports game?

If that is your budget I would definitely go T4i.  Check Amazon and Costco to see what kinda deals they have.  I know Costco will do some nice packages.  What ever you do, don't buy from Best Buy or any retail place like that.

Speed also would mean frames per second.  For example the T4i and 60D get about 4 where the 7d gets about 8.  Having a kid, the speed of the 7d is great where I used to miss shots because of how quickly she is moving.

I've looked at Costco and Sam's Clubs for packages. They are all the same, for the most part: camera body, 2 lenses, carry bag, memory card, for about the same price that Fry's, Best Buy, or Amazon sells just the body and 1 lens.

I don't think I will be taking so many motion shots to justify the extra cost of a camera that can capture them.

Nate- have you carried your 7D around for long periods of time, like on vacation? Does it's size and weight become a pain to deal with?

I know DSLRs are inherently larger than other camera types, which is probably why I have held off on getting one for so long.

The fact that I don't want to deal with hauling a bulky unit over my shoulder all day probably means I will end up going with a t4i or SL1, and sacrifice the ability to snap alot of in-motion photos.

Seems like a fair trade-off to me.

I really wish there was more feedback out there on the SL1. I'm amazed that it does 95% of what a t4i/t5i does, but it a much smaller and much lighter package.

So for my purposes, it sounds like I can't really go wrong with the EOS Rebel line, but I should really look into getting lenses with a low f-number to be able to shoot in low light?

Last questions about lenses:

It seems to me that using a 'pancacke lens' with a fixed focal length of say 50mm or less would be great while walking around a cramped city or marketplace, where objects will likely be close by.

Ultilizing such a lens would also make any camera less bulky and less of a hassle to protect when shouldering through a crowd of people.

These are n00b questions but:

Do lenses with a fixed focal length lack the ability to zoom in on an object, but are still able to be adjusted for focus?

Imagine a marketplace where you have an object 10 feet away from you and another that is 20 feet away.

Could I take a clear photo of each object, just by manipulating the focus on the lens?

I assume the difference between the two photos would be the size of each object and the total area captured within each photo?

If I wanted something to appear larger, would I need to physically walk up to it?

Lastly, does a fixed focal length mean that objects which are both further away AND closer up than the lens' focal distance both suffer in image sharpness, or is that only the case with objects that are too close to the lens?

Fixed focal length means no zoom.  So they are really just good for portrait type stills.  You have to move the camera closer or further away to frame the shot.  I have never found the 7d to be that heavy except if I am shooting video with it and have to hold it up in place for a few minutes.  I got a tripod for those situations.

Also, keep in mind, all of these cameras take very high resolution images so you could in theory crop the image and still have a high quality.  Are you using this for print or digital display?

If you are worried about portability, check out the Sony NEX cameras, they are amazing for a compact camera.

Lower f number does mean it will work in lower light but that isn't the end all spec.  For the most part the lower end the camera is the worse the sensor is in low light.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Compact-Interchangeable-Camera-18-55mm/dp/B005IKZU8O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370811295&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+nex+7

The NEX has been shown to take better pictures than many of the DSLRs on the market.

Also, if you are going purely for portrait you could also try to look for a used 5d Mk2.

My budget for a body and lens is around $800-1000, or more or less or whatever it takes to get a good package that I will be happy with for a long time.

LT: you're talking about 'speed' and looking at faster lenses. Are you referring to focus speed? The larger the aperture, the more light you can let in, hence the better you do in low light? So everything else being equal between two lenses, f2.8>f4.0 because I will very likely be shooting in low light situations?

$800-$1000 budget is going to limit what you can afford. The 7D is out. 

When talking about faster lenses, the lower the F-stop the faster the lens. Lower F-stops have larger apertures and therefore allow more light on the sensor. More light on the sensor translates into faster shutter speeds for proper exposure. The larger apertures also allow lower ISO settings in low light situations which help to reduce noise (or fuzziness). Faster lenses aren't as important if your subject is fixed and not in motion. Then you can use slower shutter speeds to get the exposure you need and mount the camera on a tripod to avoid camera shake blurring. Another thing to keep in mind is that the larger the aperture (lower f stops) the less depth of field you have so you have to keep that in mind depending on what kind of subject you are shooting. Add to this, the aperture to depth of field ratio is effected by the length of the lens. The longer the lens, the narrower/shallower the DOF will be at a given f-stop.

I've looked at the 60D a bit, but not the 7D.

I think I will stay away from full frame cameras. Yes they are supposed to be 'better' in many ways, but they are also much larger and heavier, and I'm not experienced enough to take advantage of their improved capabilities.

The 60D felt heavy to me, as compared with the t4i and especially the SL1.

It uses the same sensor, same processor, and shares alot of the same features as the Rebels. Anyone care to explain where it significantly excels?

Here's a question: what features or specs will allow me to shoot in low light, and to shoot quickly such as to capture a moving object or sports game?

Neither the 60D or the 7D are full frame sensors. They can be a bit heavier, but I haven't found either the 60D or the 7D to be overly heavy. The T4i is lighter due to the materials used for the body and it is a little bit smaller.

All cameras can shoot in low light. Some cameras handle it better than others. More specifically, they handle noise better. The key to shooting moving objects in low light is having a large enough aperture to allow a shutter speed that is fast enough to stop the action (again, a faster lens).

For a pretty good what should I buy comparison, watch this video: 

In looking at these two further, both the t4i and the 60D handle low light noise about the same so that's not a deal maker. 

I've looked at Costco and Sam's Clubs for packages. They are all the same, for the most part: camera body, 2 lenses, carry bag, memory card, for about the same price that Fry's, Best Buy, or Amazon sells just the body and 1 lens.

I don't think I will be taking so many motion shots to justify the extra cost of a camera that can capture them.

I would buy online from either B&H Photo and Video or Adorama as they typically have better pricing. But do comparisons, sometimes you can find the same or similar pricing deals through Costco or even Best buy if there is a sale. But don't rule out these online choices when doing your comparison shopping. Those two are pretty reputable compared to many of the other online options. 

Nate- have you carried your 7D around for long periods of time, like on vacation? Does it's size and weight become a pain to deal with?

I know DSLRs are inherently larger than other camera types, which is probably why I have held off on getting one for so long.

The fact that I don't want to deal with hauling a bulky unit over my shoulder all day probably means I will end up going with a t4i or SL1, and sacrifice the ability to snap alot of in-motion photos.

Seems like a fair trade-off to me.

I've carried both the 60D and 7D for long periods with big lenses. They are definitely bulkier than point and shoot cameras to carry around so you have to decide what is best for you. 

I really wish there was more feedback out there on the SL1. I'm amazed that it does 95% of what a t4i/t5i does, but it a much smaller and much lighter package.

So for my purposes, it sounds like I can't really go wrong with the EOS Rebel line, but I should really look into getting lenses with a low f-number to be able to shoot in low light?

Here's what I am going to suggest you consider rather than an DSLR. Look into the Canon Powershot G1X. It runs about $700. This is a very good "point and shoot" that also has a lot of features a DSLR for more advanced shooting if you want to experiment. This is a great camera, smaller profile to lug around, and within your price range. http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/pro_ps_digital_cameras/powershot_g1_x

The Canon SX50 HS is also a good choice. Less pixels but more zoom range. Worth a look. http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sx50_hs

Both of these take great images. I would give these serious consideration over a DSLR for you. 

Whatever camera you decide to buy, get it well in advance of your trip to Africa so you can get comfortable with how it works and what the different settings are and how they work. 

It's a good choice also, but the recommendations I made were with the idea of staying away from multiple lenses. I wouldn't say the NEX 6 destroys the Powershot in every single aspect either. Overall, DPR (which does a pretty thorough review) gives it a slightly higher rating (2%) over the G1 X. The Sony is a good choice to that will produce good images - more expensive as well. B&H has the Sony @ $798 with a zoom lens (16-50) included (and a few extras in the kit). The Canon is listed @ $599 (and a few extras in the kit). I haven't read any reviews on the Sony NEX 6 lenses so I can't speak for their quality. But count on adding between $200-1,000 per lens (depending on the lens) to the price of the camera.

By the way, the link you showed on Amazon is for the Nex 6 with one lens (16-50) not a 16 and a 50.

yes, that's right.

also worth mentioning here, I am a Canon DSLR shooter, have been for many years. Shot on Canon film SLR cameras before that. To steer me away from Canon, it has to be a marked difference and increased value for me to consider. That said, if I'm choosing a walk around all in one camera for high quality images and video, I'm going with the G1X. Especially for the money, it's hard to beat.

You might want go the mirrorless camera route instead of a dSLR. From a wildlife shooting perspective, unless you are sticking a fast 400+ zoom lens on there you really aren't going to get shit...and based on your budget you couldn't afford the lenses....unless you considered renting a lens for your trip.

I am a canon shooter, but have not heard impressive things about the canon mirrorless option and would probably lean towards the nikon.

If you are going to go mirrorless, another option you should consider is the Panosonic Lumix DMC G6. It's a very good option and within your price range. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=968554&is=REG&Q=&A=

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2013/06/05/panasonic-g6-review/

I have purchased a couple Panasonic Lumix cameras for my wife and have been very impressed with their quality images and ease of use for the non-photog user. 

Lots of replies! Thanks fellers!

For the record, YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF NERDS!!!

So I went and had a look at cameras again today.

On the DSLR front, I'm getting to like the SL1 more and more due to it's size and feel, coupled with my perception that I'm not going to be sacrificing anything important to get so small.

I had a look at the G1X and the NEX.

Specs-wise, and this is based off what I can understand by reading a specs sheet and looking at Snapsort's side by side comparison, here: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-G1X-vs-Sony-NEX-7

It would seem that the NEX blows the doors off the G1X, yet Snapsort gives the G1X a significantly higher rating, so what the hell do I know.

The NEX has a lot of the same features as the SL1, compared here:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-Rebel-SL1-vs-Sony-NEX-7

However a couple of big drawbacks for the NEX are the price and lack of available lenses.

I also looked at the Canon EOS-M, which is Canon's leading, or maybe their only mirrorless offering.

It is a good looking camera with nice features.

Let's talk about autofocus and focus points.

1. What is phase detection and how does it differ from contrast detection?

2. The mirrorless cameras all have more 'focus points'. I also happened to read on a forum, where somebody was asking about the SL1 vs the t5i, that a big drawback of the SL1 was that of it's 9 focus point, only the center point is cross-type, while the other 8 are only 1 directional. If I understand this right, the 1 directional focus points will only detect contrast while scanning vertically across an image.

- How important is this wrt to autofocus speed and capability?

- Would you say this difference is such a huge drawback as to make me forget about the SL1 altogether?

Here is the comparison between the SL1 and the t4i:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-Rebel-SL1-vs-Canon-Rebel-T4i/score

Unfortunately not all of the specs of the SL1 were fleshed out at the time this comparison was done, but based on what is here, is there anything that jumps out at you which would swing either of them in your favor?

The SL1 has loosely been described as having like 95% of the features of the t5i, but in a size which more closely resembles the mirrorless models.

I would like to know whether this statement holds water.

• 2 weeks later...