• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Taylor Ward tries to squeeze onto the Angels roster by adding defensive versatility, including a return to catcher

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I mean, I'm not a fan of Ward at all but he is still a first round pick who was developed as a catcher and then took off with the bat when he moved off the position. He was a league average hitter last year, worth half a win over 100 PAs. If he maintains his 2020 levels he is a major leaguer.

I cannot conclude you are wrong.  But being a broken record here, all the optimism that he is a major leaguer is small sample against plenty of evidence he ain’t gonna make it.

I do agree with giving the guy as much of a chance as possible since he was a first rounder.

But if I had to bet money on if was going to be a legitimate major leaguer or not, I am betting not.

It’s not like he is 23. . .

The guy is already 27.

48 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I cannot conclude you are wrong.  But being a broken record here, all the optimism that he is a major leaguer is small sample against plenty of evidence he ain’t gonna make it.

I do agree with giving the guy as much of a chance as possible since he was a first rounder.

But if I had to bet money on if was going to be a legitimate major leaguer or not, I am betting not.

The guy is already 27.

plenty of evidence?  

again with the perception that you're a failed prospect if you're not a full time player in the majors by age 23.  

the spectrum of guys who provide value over the years is fairly broad.  The fact that he was a first rounder stopped mattering about a minute after the draft.  At least it should have.  

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

The guy is already 27.

Fun fact:  Justin Turner didn't have a single season with a wRC+ at or above 100 until he turned 29.

Players sometimes take longer to improve, but it can be done.

Ward, much like the rest of the team, has had to go through multiple managers, GMs, and very likely, organizational swing philosophies.  The lack of continuity can be rough on everyone, but especially young prospects.

It appeared that he made good progress last year.  He was reportedly in the failed Dodgers trade.  If the Dodgers want him, you know he likely possesses some value.

I'm not counting him out.

18 minutes ago, True Grich said:

For every Justin Turner, there are 1,000 guys who just never pan out.

Sure, this is true.  But he had positive value last year, and it's not unreasonable to think he can improve a bit more and be a useful MLB contributor.  Not a star, but certainly a capable bench player, which every team needs.

On 3/8/2021 at 1:08 PM, Angel Oracle said:

It’s weird that when the article talked about pitching, no mention was made of Mayers when talking about the pen.

It’s only ONE bad outing (5 batters).

Does Ward have an option left?  If so, just play him every day in AAA at any of those 5 positions.

Then when Pujols has retired, Ward can become a MLB utility player going forward.

That was a brain lock on my part. Mayers should have been listed. 

2 hours ago, True Grich said:

For every Justin Turner, there are 1,000 guys who just never pan out.

and a 1000 guys in between who provide at least a modicum of value at the major league level.  Sucks to waste a 1st round pick on that but I think we can get something out of him at least.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

and a 1000 guys in between who provide at least a modicum of value at the major league level.  Sucks to waste a 1st round pick on that but I think we can get something out of him at least.  

I hope so.