• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2013 Draft Thread

A two-sport star at Lane, Middleton averaged 11 points and 4.6 rebounds as the Titans starting shooting guard before sliding over to the mound in March. He has the skills to play Division I college basketball, but his professional future is as a baseball player. Middleton has easy velocity, throwing his fastball in the low-90s and touching 95 mph this spring. He also throws a slider, curveball and changeup. Middleton’s elite athleticism, size (he’s listed at 6-foot-3, 210 pounds) and tools mean he has plenty of upside, but he is understandably raw on the mound.

Baseball America has Middleton ranked way down at #319.  Angels must see something else in this kid.

He'll probably be our go-to-scorer on the Angels Winter League men's basketball team. Looking forward to seeing his jumpshot.

Baseball America has Middleton ranked way down at #319.  Angels must see something else in this kid.

Maybe getting the guy to sign below slot to save up money

Interesting to see he Halos go for a lot of projectability in this draft, I thought Wilson was a fan of the college type/fast move through the system kind of guys who might not have as large an upside, but could potentially help quicker

6'04" 210lbs DOB: 04/26/92Morris missed his freshman season after undergoing Tommy John surgery in 2011. He pitched just 24 innings last year and eased back into pitching this season, but seemed to have regained his best stuff by the end of the spring. Morris throws in the low-90s and has touched 96 mph. He also throws a changeup and curveball, though both need more work. Morris benefitted from all the talent in Washington this year and rose to the occasion with all the extra scouts in the stands. He is committed to Lewis-Clark State, an NAIA school in Idaho.

Elliot Morris, 4th round pick

Wanted to congratulate Michael Lorenzen for getting picked 38th overall. Youngest of four brothers that me, my brother and cousins all played against. He was actually the baby of the four and remember him playing t-ball and sitting in the stands watching his older brothers play with and against my family and I. Had no idea how good he became until a couple years ago.

I was actually coached by both his dad and his mom in separate years and his oldest brother is still a friend of the family and had been drafted by the Dodgers over a decade ago. Nice to see somebody I knew personally continue to succeed.

Don't let some other sources of rankings upset you all regarding the draft. What other organizations think and how they rank players isn't as important as what the talent is that we get on the field. I recall some organizations ranking Trout lower than where we picked him. That turned out okay. In fact, all the other organizations that drafted ahead of us had Trout ranked lower than where he should have been picked. Not all of these picks are money saving moves--it's just a desire on the Angels part to get the best talent they can overall. The Angels do their own talent evaluations and rankings, and it is clearly different than BA's. Just because it is doesn't make it wrong.

Wanted to congratulate Michael Lorenzen for getting picked 38th overall. Youngest of four brothers that me, my brother and cousins all played against. He was actually the baby of the four and remember him playing t-ball and sitting in the stands watching his older brothers play with and against my family and I. Had no idea how good he became until a couple years ago.

I was actually coached by both his dad and his mom in separate years and his oldest brother is still a friend of the family and had been drafted by the Dodgers over a decade ago. Nice to see somebody I knew personally continue to succeed.

That's a cool story. Congrats. That was a very nice post. I'm having a brutally long day and needed a refresher on civility.

Raw projectable arms with upside. Gonna be a boom or bust draft. They had to try and get some guys with potential without much money. Tough situation. First wave ready 4-5 yrs from now.

To me this means they continue the free agent route for the next couple years at least.

McGowin, Kyle Savannah State University (GA) RHP R/R JR 6'04" 185lbs DOB: 11/27/91There should not be much issue with signability when it comes to McGowin, who has indicated that he is attending school primarily to play baseball and reach the professional level. The tall, lean right-hander has good physical projections as a fringe No. 5 starter. His fastball sits in the high-80s with sink and the occasional sharp cut, but his curve has inconsistent rotation. He's listed at 6-foot-4, 185 pounds.