• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquisition that made you the most excited?

mmc

Throughout all of your years of being an Angels fan, which player were you the most excited about when the Angels acquired him?  Please don't list players that came up through the Angels system, this is strictly about free agent signings/trades.  For me, as someone who did not follow baseball transactions heavily until 2013, it's Rendon.  Though if we got Bauer or someone like Castillo, they might become my #1.

Pujols, easily. The old forum was on cloud 9. When CJ Wilson and LaTroy Hawkins happened in the following hours everyone wanted to suck Dipoto's dick.

That didn't turn out so well.

The happiest i've been outside of that was Mike Trout's extension.

12 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Mo Vaughn, Vlad Guerrero, and Bartolo Colon 

Yeah, pretty much this. 

Vlad was the biggest one... he was my secret mancrush... guy who wasnt an angel who was my favorite player... was so excited when we signed him.

Colon almost more so... was a bigger vladdy fan, but thought colon was a beast. Signing him gave us our first legit 1 in years...

Getting both the same year was unreal

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea this is pretty close but I’d put Mo 5th, Shohei 3rd and Rendon 4th. 

It was the surprise element for me on Vlad, Pujols and Mo. We kind of knew we had a good shot at Ohtani being that he narrowed it down to just a few teams prior to selecting the Angels. That wasn't the case for the first three for me.

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

It was the surprise element for me on Vlad, Pujols and Mo. We kind of knew we had a good shot at Ohtani being that he narrowed it down to just a few teams prior to selecting the Angels. That wasn't the case for the first three for me.

With Mo, while I was a fan, I was too busy to be as engaged with all of it, plus it was before my introduction to places like this to experience it with others. 

This article appeared in the newspaper just as spring training was coming to a close.

The Long Beach Independent reported that the New York Yankees had traded center fielder Mickey Mantle to the Los Angeles Angels. In return for Mantle, the Yankees received "$1 million dollars, half interest in radio station KMPC and a player package of Ned Garver, Del Rice, Aubrey Gatewood and Gene Leek."

The Article was written on April first, 1961. My first big Angel disappointment. Obviously, there would be many more in the years to follow.

1961mantle_lg.jpg.72e704cc76ac7a724ef771be63436519.jpg

Vladdy, no doubt - I was appalled we weren't in on him, (and appalled we got him on a fluke) - which might've made it better - I'd given up on the idea we'd get him, then out of the clear blue!

After that,  Ohtani then Vaughn or perhaps Hunter?  Maybe Carew lands in there somewhere, but honestly, I don't recall anything more than "cool."  

I couldn't get excited over Pujols - as "big" as it seemed, and as happy as I thought I was supposed to be, it felt like a big mistake - kinda like this:  

AAOP 2018-19: I've made a huge mistake. - Amazin' Avenue

Vlad by far. At the end of the century, everything in the national media was Jeter and ARod, with a fair amount of Nomar love, too, back when he looked like he was on a HOF pace. 

I thought Vlad was better than any of them and I was beyond thrilled with that acquisition.