• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquisition that made you the most excited?

mmc

Jim Abbott, 1988 draft, 8th overall pick.  A lot of hype but also questions about him in the spring BA issues about him leading up the to draft.  He was one of the biggest wildcards in the history of the MLB draft, and he ended up going to my favorite team.  As a draft geek, this was as exciting as it got.

https://baseballhall.org/discover/short-stops/jim-abbott-scouting-reports

jim_abbot_bacover.jpg

I will say that when the Angels signed Vlad, I thought to myself... "We just got the best player in baseball." I used to think about that all the time... of course, I now say that about Trout.

Vlad was the reason we bought season tix.

But Hunter will always be my favorite.

Drafting and signing Weave was pretty special too. Go Dirtbags!

7 minutes ago, T.G. said:

I will say that when the Angels signed Vlad, I thought to myself... "We just got the best player in baseball." I used to think about that all the time... of course, I now say that about Trout.

Vlad was the reason we bought season tix.

But Hunter will always be my favorite.

Drafting and signing Weave was pretty special too. Go Dirtbags!

I, too, was psyched about getting Weaver.  I thought for sure he wasn't going to sign though.  

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I, too, was psyched about getting Weaver.  I thought for sure he wasn't going to sign though.  

Yep.  I was just looking at those 1st round signing bonuses from 2004 (below), and those Boras clients at #12 and #15 stand out.  But I kind of thought, well, maybe Weave kind of paid the team back with that team-friendly extension later on.  Good thing we took the right Boras client at 12.  Stephen Drew...ugh.

2004d.gif

Vlad's 2004 MVP season was really special. He carried the team the last few weeks into the postseason. It was one if the most impressive stretches I've ever seen. He was a wrecking machine; especially against Texas, if I remember correctly. 

That is probably my all time favorite season by a player wearing an Angels uniform. He had the swagger and that menacing swing.

Trout's MVP seasons have been special, but Vlad's was more memorable to me because it had so many big moments.

Edited by T.G.