• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Extensions for Bundy and, possibly, Heaney?

Warfarin

Given our need for pitching, and given both Bundy and Heaney have looked great to good this year, would you consider extending them?

With the pandemic impacting finances moving forward, I have to imagine both can potentially be re-signed to reasonable deals, given their own histories (Bundy being an average SP prior to this year, and Heaney having a history of injuries).

Obviously it depends on the deal, but I imagine Bundy can be re-signed to perhaps a 4/60 type deal, and Heaney to perhaps something like a 3/40 type deal.

Part of the problem with extensions for both is it could increase the ‘21 payroll, which already figures to be tight, as they’d likely be getting more on the year through an extension than they would through arbitration.

Off top of my head, let’s say Bundy will warm around $8.5m in arb, and Heaney around, I dunno, $6.5. They’re likely not taking extensions for a dollar amount similar annually to that. They’ll be seeking $10m+ at a bare minimum to sign before hitting open market. The Angels could backload that, yes, and keep the pitchers first year on the books comparable to what they would have made in arbitration to keep the spending amount close to the same, but it would take 1) Bundy and Heaney being motivated to not only sign an extension over open market (usually a monetary sacrifice already) but an interest in backloading it purely for the team benefit in ‘21. Further, backloading could mean both pitchers are making an amount later on that starts to hamper their value, to the team or in trades. 

If these guys were true aces, set to make $10m or even $15m in arb and were set to make big contracts (like, 5/$85m or more) then the extensions make a whole lot more sense, but I’m not sure the financial benefits are enough for either party to really pursue it. Doesn’t mean it won’t happen or can’t happen, just would need some major interest from both parties to cross the line.

2 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

Isn't Bundy a free agent after next season? If so, I would see if he can pitch like this next season before trying to give him a contract during 2021. Heaney has never looked good ever since he got hurt in 2016. Before that, he was looking solid on the mound. 

Sometimes you gotta gamble. If he is just as good next year his price will only go up.

59 minutes ago, Bronson said:

Sometimes you gotta gamble. If he is just as good next year his price will only go up.

Yeah - that'd be the rationale for extending him now.  It's a gamble as to whether he'll be this good moving forward, given his track record.  He may be willing to take less money to gain financial security, and if he continues to pitch well, it should/would be a good discount.

Same rationale applies to Heaney in that regard, too.

2 hours ago, Game 6 said:

Yep. I would Sign Trevor Bauer, extend Bundy and Heaney and then head to the golf course...

Ha!  Well, I am assuming we won't sign Bauer, and if that's the case, we could consider extensions for Bundy and Heaney.

If we signed Bauer, though, then we'd likely just extend one of those two and move on from the other.

9 hours ago, Game 6 said:

I think we could sign both Bundy and Heaney to Lance Lynn type deals. We have Pujols and Upton coming off the books the next two years and there is a lot of uncertainty in the FA market. 

I think if we can sign Bundy to a 4/60 type extension this offseason, I'd be all for it.  He's been durable and, of course, he's had a monstrous breakthrough this season.  That's more than a Lance Lynn-type deal, but he's a few years younger than Lynn was when he signed his deal.

Heaney, given all the injuries he's had, would probably sign for something less than that.  Still, if we had the intent of pursuing a Bauer, then I imagine we probably wouldn't consider an extension for Heaney.

Bauer, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, and Barria, with possibly Ohtani, looks incredibly solid to me.  Lock down Bauer + Bundy for the long-term, have Detmers "replace" Heaney in 2022, and move forward with a core of Bauer, Bundy, Detmers, Canning, Barria (or whomever), and possibly Ohtani for the years thereafter.  Maybe Chris Rodriguez will surprise us and emerge as a solid SP candidate in the upcoming year or two, too.