• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Mike Trout admits to ‘frustrating’ Angels season

AngelsWin.com

The Angels came into 2020 with reasons for optimism. A new manager, high-profile off-season acquisitions and an expanded postseason gave them a reason to believe they would be playing meaningful October baseball.

Instead, the Angels entered Thursday’s game against the San Diego Padres with a record of 12-25, tied with the Boston Red Sox for the worst in the American League.

Center fielder Mike Trout repeatedly described the 2020 season as a frustrating one in his pregame availability on Thursday.

“Spring training, you come in, you got a great team. You had some big free agents with [Anthony] Rendon and some guys that can help this team win,” Trout explained. “Then we get shut down and we come back and they expand the playoffs. To see where we’re at now, it’s definitely frustrating, because we got a great team.”

The reigning A.L. MVP is in the second season of a 12-year contract extension he signed last spring. At the time, he expressed confidence in the front office’s ability to build a winner around him.

After 2020, Trout will still be in search of his first playoff game win, and his first playoff appearance since 2014. He said on Thursday he doesn’t pay attention to the chatter around the sport that the Angels may be wasting the best years of his career, but he did reiterate his trust in the Angels’ front office.

“I got 10 more years on this contract so we got to move forward,” Trout said. “I said it when I signed, I got trust in the guys upstairs and we’ll see where it goes.”

Part of the frustration for Trout comes from the fact that, in a normal season, the Angels would have four more months to correct their issues, such as leading the majors in two-out runs allowed. Manager Joe Maddon described this as “a grande problem” on Thursday.

Instead, the Angels have already passed the trade deadline and dealt away infielder Tommy La Stella, catcher Jason Castro and outfielder Brian Goodwin to teams making a push for the playoffs.

“Obviously all three of them guys were unbelievable teammates. They came to the ballpark every day with a smile and they helped this team,” Trout said. “Obviously it’s a different direction we’re going in, obviously had to make some moves. The time I had with ‘Goody’ in the outfield was one of the best. … It’s just tough seeing them go.”

And then the realities of how the pandemic has affected the team’s day-to-day life doesn’t make things any easier.

“Being in the clubhouse, it’s a lot different. Really don’t spend that much time together,” Trout said. “The team chemistry plays a big part in all this. Not being able to do things together in the clubhouse, play cards or have a little group setting, it’s tough.”

FLETCHER TO THE IL

The Angels placed infielder David Fletcher on the 10-day injured list with a left ankle sprain. The move is retroactive to Aug. 31.

Fletcher missed the last two games after injuring the ankle in Sunday’s loss to the Mariners. Prior to the injury, he had played every inning this season for the Angels.

“Probably a lot of us or most of us have sprained an ankle in the past. It’s pretty nasty, it burns, it just does not want to go away,” Maddon said. “So whatever it takes to get him right, I’m into it.”

In his place, the Angels called up outfield Taylor Ward from the alternate training site.

View the full article

3 minutes ago, cvdog said:

I just don't think Trout's heart was that much into playing this mini covid season. With the birth of his son and all his obvious health concerns for his family, he probably didn't have that spark he normally has. He's also not dumb. He knows he can't carry this team with only Rendon. I think once March comes around we'll see that fire again. So Billy boy stop crapping the bed and find better pitchers.

Seems like he has no sense of urgency to win soon. With a decade ahead of him he seems to assume that the front office will eventually put a winner together. Maybe in two years, maybe in seven. In the meantime he goes to work and does his individual thing.