• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Batting second Part 2

I think you can almost count out Callaspo and Iannetta as candidates. I've heard a lot of talk on the radio for HK47 in that spot. Torii drove in a boatload of runners batting second last season. If you have guys like Trout, PB, and Aybar getting on base and Pujols/Hamilton behind him it could be a very nice situation for Howie. He should see plenty of good pitches to hit ... maybe a 80-90 rbi season.

I stopped reading at "PB getting on base"

But in all seriousness I think we have tried Howie in the second spot enough times to know it doesn't work.  Feel like it should be Callaspo but it will probably end up being HK or EA.

I like kendrick in the two spot.  Dude can rake fastballs.  If he swings at the slider outside the zone, trout gets an easy SB.  The dynamic has changed with pujols, hamilton, trumbo behind the two spot so we can't really assume he'll perform similarly to the way he did. 

I've always thought Howie would be great batting 2nd but it hasnt seemed to materialize yet. Last season in 92 PA batting 2nd he hit .273 avg / .717 OPS. In 127 PA batting 7th he hit .322 avg / .816 OPS

Im not totally against seeing how he performs there this spring or the early part of the 2013

I like kendrick in the two spot.  Dude can rake fastballs.  If he swings at the slider outside the zone, trout gets an easy SB.  The dynamic has changed with pujols, hamilton, trumbo behind the two spot so we can't really assume he'll perform similarly to the way he did. 

Yeah, Kendrick raked in the #2 spot last year until pitchers realized Pujols wasn't Pujols to start the season.  When I think about it, I am ok with them trying it again, just skeptical.

Kendrick is comfortable hitting lower in the order. 

Callaspo had a lower OBP last year than 12 of the 19 qualifying 3rd basemen. His slugging was the lowest and his OPS was second to last. His average was 15th. He scored the third fewest runs, 17th in 2B, and was tied for 16th of 19 in HR. The guy has not been what everyone seems to think he is, an OBP machine who plays good defense. His 53 walks are a low total, granted this team doesn't walk alot, but he's not putting up the 100 walks and 30-40 HR that justify a low average. His career shows plenty of evidence to support that 2011 was an outlier. He's more likely to hit .250/.330/.360 again than .280/.365/.375.

Callaspo actually does hit well against lefties, so I'd be fine with him in the #2 spot, but I don't even think he should play against right handers. His defense is an asset yes, but not if the team has 4 extreme fly ball starters.

I like Aybar in the spot due to his .290 average, which is 4% more hits than Callaspo, and while he will likely walk 20 times less, the OBP will then be about the same. Aybar will get .50 points higher slugging, which is more doubles, more triples, and similar home run totals. Aybar also doesn't show a dramatic split against lefties or righties and killed the ball in the #2 spot last year. Seeing more fastballs isn't a huge positive for a really patient hitter like Callaspo but for a guy trying to hit the ball the way Aybar does, that's a positive.

Yet I feel that the guy for the long run in the #2 spot is Bourjos. He is about to be 26, with one successful year starting full time and two other years where he didn't hit well. Okay, but his speed is a bigger asset than most believe. He's been great this spring, posting a .545 On Base Percentage. Yes it's only spring and yes it's only 11 PA, but 4 hits, 3 walks, is pretty good to start.

Bourjos' good year in 2011, he has BABIP's of .415, .243, .411, .364, .333, and .290 in each of the six months. I do not expect him to have a .400 BABIP, but averaging a .360 BABIP would be great.

What that would mean is that he gets a hit 36% of the time when the ball is put in play. Should he walk 50 times and hit 15 HR to go along with 100 strikeouts that would result in a line like: 650 PA, 600 AB, 174 hits, .290 average. His OBP then would be around that same .360, assuming he gets hit by a pitch as often. Plus he'll steal 30+ bases, And if he serves up a similar slugging percentage, he'd end up with 30 2B, 10-15 3B and 10-15 HR. All of these are better numbers than Callaspo has shown in his career. And to top it off, Bourjos's defense will really matter.

It should be Bourjos and Aybar to start the year, with Bourjos being the guy there down the stretch.

Or as Lyle Spencer put up, Trout in the #2 spot and Bourjos leading off. Not traditional, but to face 2-3-4-5 MT, AP, JH, and MT…that's a murderers row.

I have a really hard time getting on board with batting Kendrick 2nd.

He just doesn't have the skillset for a tablesetting role.

You only guaranteed to bat second once a game. It worked well for Torii as a rbi guy. Sosh believes that Howie is a rbi guy ... if not second I wouldn't be surprised to see him batting fifth in front of Trumbo.

You only guaranteed to bat second once a game. It worked well for Torii as a rbi guy. Sosh believes that Howie is a rbi guy ... if not second I wouldn't be surprised to see him batting fifth in front of Trumbo.

True, but he'll be guaranteed to bat behind Trout every time

let's remember that at the beginning of last season not one person stated that Torii should bat 2nd

then again, that might be due to his .642 OPS from the #2 spot in 2011

Another reason why you can't always let the stats dictate certain players from one year to the next. I still like Aybar in that spot but Howie might be the perfect fit.