• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

New car

11 hours ago, Tank said:

not gonna lie, buddy, it's the sweetest ride in my hood. my neighbors always stop what they're doing and point at you whenever you drive by. I think it's because of envy.

Unknown.jpeg

One of my past vehicles was a 1982 Dodge 400. Basically the two-door sedan version of this. Sales manager's demo, two-tone paint, gold and brown, with tan leather interior and every conceivable option, had the Mitsubishi 2.6L engine. Sweet car - except that the transmission dumped out three times while I owned the car. After the third time, I parted ways with it.

My car was basically like the car in the photo - except with the brown and gold reversed.

File:Dodge 400.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

On 6/28/2020 at 9:47 AM, Tank said:

not gonna lie, buddy, it's the sweetest ride in my hood. my neighbors always stop what they're doing and point at you whenever you drive by. I think it's because of envy.

Unknown.jpeg

Ballsy move Tank to get out of that beauty and take a pic while you were at Lion Country Safari.  

Even crazier to go there with the top down.  Insane

3 hours ago, PattyD22 said:

Ballsy move Tank to get out of that beauty and take a pic while you were at Lion Country Safari.  

Even crazier to go there with the top down.  Insane

well, i like to live on the edge. anyone who knows me can testify to that.

one time at an angels game in the mid-90s they played the "CHARGE!!" song on the organ, and i said charge first before anyone else inside the ballpark. that's how prepared i was that night (and every night since).

12 minutes ago, Tank said:

well, i like to live on the edge. anyone who knows me can testify to that.

one time at an angels game in the mid-90s they played the "CHARGE!!" song on the organ, and i said charge first before anyone else inside the ballpark. that's how prepared i was that night (and every night since).

You probably start standing up with 2 outs in the top of the 7th inning also In giddy anticipation of Buttercup.

Preparation is the key.

Edited by PattyD22

2 hours ago, PattyD22 said:

You probably start standing up with 2 outs in the top of the 7th inning also In giddy anticipation of Buttercup.

Preparation is the key.

preparation is exactly the key, and that's why i stand up early and leave so i don't have to hear buttercup. i've discovered that the 7th inning is a good time for some ice cream.

So, I got the car Sunday. I ended up getting a higher end model. They took $14,000+ off the MSRP.  I asked the salesman if I could just buy the car at that price. He said no, the huge discount included incentives only available for leases. But once you have the vehicle, you can buy it out for whatever you owe on the lease. So I can convert my lease to a purchase by taking out a loan with my credit union, and I still get the benefit of the lease price. I doubt I’ll do that, but it’s an easy way to purchase the vehicle at a massively discounted price.

• 1 month later...

Bought my first new car in 15 years. First time in my life I didnt go cheap, bought a toy. Special edition.

Got zero benefits from covid. Spent way too much, and pissed I have a car payment again.

But like the first week i had it, two young women walking down the street from my house went "whoa, nice!" They were like 4s at best. But so what. Thats how the beetles started. Made it all worth it.

On 7/7/2020 at 8:26 AM, wopphil said:

So, I got the car Sunday. I ended up getting a higher end model. They took $14,000+ off the MSRP.  I asked the salesman if I could just buy the car at that price. He said no, the huge discount included incentives only available for leases. But once you have the vehicle, you can buy it out for whatever you owe on the lease. So I can convert my lease to a purchase by taking out a loan with my credit union, and I still get the benefit of the lease price. I doubt I’ll do that, but it’s an easy way to purchase the vehicle at a massively discounted price.

That's what I did.

Buddy wanted a car and I was mildly in the market. He found a way to strike a two auto deal/discount. I generally have always worked from home or down the street from my office....so my miles were always limited. I believe I did a three year lease at the end of 2014 for a 2015 vehicle. Expected to dump it back to them at the end, but because my miles are so low I was in the rare situation where my car value was more than the residual owed. Went in to my credit union and got something like 1.7% a couple years ago.

No lie, I still have this car and it was picked up in August or September of 2014 with about ~300 miles and to this day I think I have maybe just over 35k miles in almost a full six years....full six being this month or the next. Looks like roughly 5.8k miles per year.

Also, for future buyers. Chick Im dating works for a dealership (shady b word, just the say pike em). She walked me through it.

Essentially, you can get a way better deal lowballing them. Dont be polite. I shaved like 3K off. Which doesnt sound like a lot, but the truck i got is super popular, so i didnt have a ton of leverage. 

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Also, for future buyers. Chick Im dating works for a dealership (shady b word, just the say pike em). She walked me through it.

Essentially, you can get a way better deal lowballing them. Dont be polite. I shaved like 3K off. Which doesnt sound like a lot, but the truck i got is super popular, so i didnt have a ton of leverage. 

Still reminds me of my greatest personal coupe buying a car.

Skip all the bullshit, but I was young but also did my homework. I did this copy and paste message to all dealerships in a 25 mile radius which brought me to Infiniti Mission Viejo in 2004 for a 2005 G35 when those were the rage. I walk in selling some Chevy S10 beater for their high end sports model G35.

The guy says, "Do we have a deal?" and I say I think so, but my family is in finance and I'd like to call them before I sign anything. I had two people on speaker phone and as the sales guy comes back they are literally saying, "Fuck that, get out of there. This guy from Ontario just said he has that car for x amount"....not sure if this was true or not, but the guy panicked. He even said, "I thought we shook on it?" to which I said, "I thought you were being cordial for allowing me to make this call before signing."

Guy comes back and says, we can give you what you want and I say it seems like a fair deal. Looking back, these twats wanted to stick me on the financial side (which is where they really make their money anyway) after giving me the best deal for that car in OC and Riverside County. This guy was a straight queen, but this deal meant so much to the dealership they had the sales guy and the sales manager in there with a finance manager. I had great credit in the 800 range and this guy says, "Oh nice! Looks like you qualify for 8.8%"

I say, "Great! Let me make another phone call and see if we can strike a deal." I call the same people in finance on speaker phone and the look on everyones face was priceless. The queen literally flips over a few pages and just says, "You're right, you actually qualify for 2.3% (or some bullshit for that time)"

That poor bastard of a sales rep shook my hand and said something to the effect of, "I can't believe you just did what you did. You got a steal on this car and financing."

The only thing better was the car I mentioned above. They fucked up the paperwork at VW Orange (which is no longer there, surprise, surprise) and I had a family member telling me about a thing called "kissing the paper".....basically in auto finance terms it's something like the owner holding the note until they figure out the financing and how to fix the issue. I was riding around in a car for free before I went back in to sign paperwork. I'll never forget standing up and the finance manager saying, "Looks like we are done here. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I hope I never see you again." Just glorious.

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

Still reminds me of my greatest personal coupe buying a car.

Skip all the bullshit, but I was young but also did my homework. I did this copy and paste message to all dealerships in a 25 mile radius which brought me to Infiniti Mission Viejo in 2004 for a 2005 G35 when those were the rage. I walk in selling some Chevy S10 beater for their high end sports model G35.

The guy says, "Do we have a deal?" and I say I think so, but my family is in finance and I'd like to call them before I sign anything. I had two people on speaker phone and as the sales guy comes back they are literally saying, "Fuck that, get out of there. This guy from Ontario just said he has that car for x amount"....not sure if this was true or not, but the guy panicked. He even said, "I thought we shook on it?" to which I said, "I thought you were being cordial for allowing me to make this call before signing."

Guy comes back and says, we can give you what you want and I say it seems like a fair deal. Looking back, these twats wanted to stick me on the financial side (which is where they really make their money anyway) after giving me the best deal for that car in OC and Riverside County. This guy was a straight queen, but this deal meant so much to the dealership they had the sales guy and the sales manager in there with a finance manager. I had great credit in the 800 range and this guy says, "Oh nice! Looks like you qualify for 8.8%"

I say, "Great! Let me make another phone call and see if we can strike a deal." I call the same people in finance on speaker phone and the look on everyones face was priceless. The queen literally flips over a few pages and just says, "You're right, you actually qualify for 2.3% (or some bullshit for that time)"

That poor bastard of a sales rep shook my hand and said something to the effect of, "I can't believe you just did what you did. You got a steal on this car and financing."

The only thing better was the car I mentioned above. They fucked up the paperwork at VW Orange (which is no longer there, surprise, surprise) and I had a family member telling me about a thing called "kissing the paper".....basically in auto finance terms it's something like the owner holding the note until they figure out the financing and how to fix the issue. I was riding around in a car for free before I went back in to sign paperwork. I'll never forget standing up and the finance manager saying, "Looks like we are done here. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I hope I never see you again." Just glorious.

I have a number of auto dealer clients, and have learned a lot about the finance process as a result. As you say, dealerships make their money on finance (and service). I have learned three important things about how they operate: first, the markup on the warranties is insane. That $2,800 warranty they are trying to sell you probably cost them $1,100. There is tons of room for movement on warranties.

Second, and related to the first, the F&I person is fully commissioned. And they are likely going to get half of whatever they up sell. So they are highly motivated to sell, and they are much better off selling you that warranty for $1,300 (and making $100 off you), then watching you walk out without buying any warranty at all. 

And third, as you say, they mark up interest rates. That number is negotiable. If they tell you five percent, they might actually be getting it for three. And then you pay the two percent difference and they profit. Though I will say, one of my clients has an internal policy whereby they aren’t allowed to increase the rate by more than two percent. Nothing in the law prevents them from going beyond two percent, but they don’t want to screw people over. 

• 8 months later...

Ended up buying a new VW Tiguan today. They didn’t have the exact trim level/exterior color/interior combo I wanted on the lot, but will probably get it in for me this coming week. Test drove a few different makes/models today and the Tiguan was leaps and bounds better on the infotainment/interior features than anything else I looked at.

13 hours ago, Don said:

Ended up buying a new VW Tiguan today. They didn’t have the exact trim level/exterior color/interior combo I wanted on the lot, but will probably get it in for me this coming week. Test drove a few different makes/models today and the Tiguan was leaps and bounds better on the infotainment/interior features than anything else I looked at.

great, now you and @cals can go on road trips together!