• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Report: Angels owner Arte Moreno pulled plug on proposed trade with Dodgers

AngelsWin.com

The trade that would have brought Joc Pederson and Ross Stripling to the Angels was apparently scuttled by owner Arte Moreno.

According to a report in The Athletic, Moreno was frustrated by the delay caused while the Dodgers spent more than five days hammering out the Mookie Betts deal that needed to happen before they could make their deal with the Angels.

General Manager Billy Eppler issued a vague statement about the incompleted deal.

“There are a lot of components in deals that need to be satisfied before you get to a point where you are calling players and informing them,” Eppler said. “We weren’t able to get to that point and, in fairness to our players and players with other organizations, we won’t comment further than that.”

Moreno declined to elaborate on Eppler’s statement on Monday. He traditionally addresses members of the media during one of the first days of spring training. Pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report on Tuesday, with the first full-squad workout on Feb. 17.

Last Tuesday night, multiple outlets reported that the Dodgers, Boston Red Sox and Minnesota Twins had agreed to a three-way deal that would send Betts and David Price to the Dodgers.

Around the same time, there were reports of a related deal between the Dodgers and Angels, one that would send Pederson and Stripling to the Angels in exchange for Luís Rengifo. Each team was adding at least one other prospect.

However, the initial Betts trade didn’t happen, reportedly because the Red Sox had issues with the medical reports on Twins prospect Brusdae Graterol.

It wasn’t sorted out until Sunday, when the three teams finally agreed to make two separate trades, rather than one three-way deal. But by then Moreno had reportedly become so irritated with the delay that he pulled the Angels out of their deal.

The breakdown angered Angels fans, and left the club to open spring training with a rotation that many observers believe is a little shallow.

Shohei Ohtani, who will be on an innings limit after coming back from Tommy John surgery, is the best pitcher of a group that also includes Dylan Bundy, Griffin Canning, Andrew Heaney and Julio Teheran.

The Angels could still try to work a trade for a pitcher such as Matthew Boyd or Jon Gray, but so far their asking prices have been higher than Eppler is willing to meet.

Pederson didn’t necessarily fill a need for the Angels, but he would have provided extra pop in the middle of the lineup, at least against right-handed pitchers.

Now, the Angels have Brian Goodwin as their right fielder, with top prospect Jo Adell waiting in the wings.

View the full article

26 minutes ago, Throwman91 said:

Rendon hasn't played yet Ohtani was Eppler's baby.  Trout, okay but what big market team wouldn't sign him to that deal?

Vlad. Colon. Hunter. Matsui. Ohtani. Trout. Rendon. I mean if you want to go over all the free agent and signing wins we can but every owner has loses. No owner is 100%. Arte has had some mess ups but I’ll take him over the other owners in our division. And I’d probably take him 2nd or 3rd in the American League. That’s saying something. I’d put the Yankees and Dodgers ownership group over Arte and maybe Boston but them trading Mookie is idiotic. So 3rd in all of baseball is pretty good as an owner. 

2 minutes ago, Throwman91 said:

I agree there's some good ones from over 10 years ago, but I'm talking about the last decade, you also can't say Arte is one of the most successful GMs dollar per win.

Huh he’s the owner. But regardless. Please tell me 5 owners better and who have spent more consistently than Arte over the last 10 years. 

3 minutes ago, Throwman91 said:

I told you I appreciate him spending big, he's a cool owner but I guess I'm a troll for saying what I think.

No ones calling you a troll. At least I’m not. I’m not even defending his actions on what some would call a boneheaded play. But even with this misshap is still call him a top 5 owner in baseball. Would you disagree?

2 minutes ago, Throwman91 said:

I made a post yesterday stating that I think this team is playoff bound but people only remember the bad things I said about this team from last year, it's too late to redeem myself.  

Ehh don't beat yourself up. At the end of the day it's only a message board. Plus no matter how much they dislike someone R Munkee is still number 1 on the leader board of hate.