Sign in to follow this  
Punk

Official Boxing Thread

It's official. Mayweather to fight Canelo Alvarez in September. The fight will be fought at a catch weight of 152 pounds.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9323856/floyd-mayweather-jr-fight-canelo-alvarez-sept-14

This time the fight that boxing fans want to see most got made.

Pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. and junior middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez signed on Wednesday night to fight Sept. 14 in the main event of a Showtime pay-per-view event at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in the biggest fight boxing has to offer.

"I chose my opponent for September 14th and it's Canelo Alvarez," Mayweather tweeted to break the news. "I'm giving the fans what they want."

2yllfzo.gif

22 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Apparently, some are thinking that a bit of a revival started Saturday night in boxing.    Sounds far fetched, but wondering if Fury's WWE time gave him more recognition going into this fight?  

No, it didn't. 

The first fight did. 

58 minutes ago, Lou said:

No, it didn't. 

The first fight did. 

The controversial draw decision from the first fight no doubt added fuel to the interest in the second fight. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

Yeah, there is no WWE connection to the boost.The first fight was epic. You have a bunch of dudes in the heavyweight division that can throw down, unless Ruiz decides to eat tacos and party. You also have dudes like Crawford and Spence that are animals plus GGG and Lomanchenko that destroy. Plus you have Canelo still in the mix. Boxing is on a nice revival.

15 hours ago, Brandon said:

Yeah, there is no WWE connection to the boost.The first fight was epic. You have a bunch of dudes in the heavyweight division that can throw down, unless Ruiz decides to eat tacos and party. You also have dudes like Crawford and Spence that are animals plus GGG and Lomanchenko that destroy. Plus you have Canelo still in the mix. Boxing is on a nice revival.

It is nice to see, after the fiasco that was Mayweather/Pacquiao.     I saw more punches in P.E. class, than in that fight.

Edited by Angel Oracle