• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Winter Meetings Prediction Polls

Second Base

Winter Meetings Prediction Polls  

60 members have voted

1. 1. During the Winter Meetings, the Angels will....

• Not sign any free agents
    • Sign random minor league free agents
    • Sign a catcher
    • Sign a pitcher
    • Sign an infielder
    • Make a small trade
    • Make a Blockbuster trade
  2. 2. If the Angels do sign a catcher, it will be...

• Jason Castro
    • Martin Maldonado
    • Somebody else
    • They won't sign a catcher, they will trade for one.
  3. 3. Will Gerrit Cole sign at the Winter Meetings and with whom?

• Yes, he will sign with the Angels
    • Yes, he will sign with the Yankees
    • Yes, he will sign with the Dodgers
    • Yes, he will sign with another team outside the above choices.
    • He will not sign.
  4. 4. Will Stephen Strasburg sign during the Winter Meetings, and with whom?

• Yes, with the Angels
    • Yes, with the Nats
    • Yes, with another team that isn't the Angels or Nats
    • No, he won't.
  5. 5. How many big leagues additions will Billy Eppler make at the Winter Meetings?

I'm thinking Martin Maldonado, simply because they have a meeting scheduled with him, because that makes it more likely. This has kind of been that off-season where the Angels are getting or bringing everything back. Maddon, Trout, Upton, Simmons, Ohtani. I just think bringing back Maldonado fits the theme, that's all.

As for the pitchers, I dare only dream, but it would make my winter if Wednesday the Angels signed both Strasburg and Cole. Dual press conferences, generates a ton of excitement coming into next year, ticket sales go up, etc...

I also think they may sign a Travis Shaw or Eric Thames type to start playing a lot of 1B and provide depth.

Edited by Second Base

I think we are looking at Maldonado and will sign him during the winter meetings.  Why not sign Maldonado if for no other reason he is respected by Cole.  Then if you lose out on Cole you have a solid catcher that didn’t break the bank and if an opportunity to upgrade the position even more presents itself, pull the trigger.  I also could see us picking up one other piece that will be on the major league team, maybe it is Lindholm or someone similar.  One name I haven’t heard a single thing about is Calhoun.  Not a single rumor of a team being interested.  The longer that is the case the better the chances are he will be back here in some capacity on a discounted deal.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think we are looking at Maldonado and will sign him during the winter meetings.  Why not sign Maldonado if for no other reason he is respected by Cole.  Then if you lose out on Cole you have a solid catcher that didn’t break the bank and if an opportunity to upgrade the position even more presents itself, pull the trigger.  I also could see us picking up one other piece that will be on the major league team, maybe it is Lindholm or someone similar.  One name I haven’t heard a single thing about is Calhoun.  Not a single rumor of a team being interested.  The longer that is the case the better the chances are he will be back here in some capacity on a discounted deal.  

Calhoun seems like he's gonna be plan b, c or d for someone once the dust starts to settle.  I'm gonna go with the indians.  Would be great to have him back at the right price.  We need a veteran OFer to platoon or back up RF.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

Calhoun seems like he's gonna be plan b, c or d for someone once the dust starts to settle.  I'm gonna go with the indians.  Would be great to have him back at the right price.  We need a veteran OFer to platoon or back up RF.  

Yea that is a good call on the Indians, I have thought about them as well.  There are going to be some bargains on the offensive side this year.  I haven’t heard anything about Puig either, but he has the ability to put up a solid OPS and I just have a feeling he is going to be had for $10-15 million a year on a short contract.  You have to deal with the headaches, but some team will get production at a good price.  This isn’t to say it should be the Angels, but another team and it will just lengthen the line up.

This is the year the Angels should go all in. They should sign Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg, Anthony Rendon and Martin Maldonado. It has been mentioned that coming off the books in the next few years is the contracts of Zack Cozart, Albert Pujols, Andrelton A. Simmons and Justin Upton. This would make the Angels a World Series contender and likely winner of a World Series. Bite the bullet financially the next few years and reap the benefits of being a World Series contender in doing so.

10 minutes ago, Stax said:

This is the year the Angels should go all in. They should sign Gerrit Cole, Stephen Strasburg, Anthony Rendon and Martin Maldonado. It has been mentioned that coming off the books in the next few years is the contracts of Zack Cozart, Albert Pujols, Andrelton A. Simmons and Justin Upton. This would make the Angels a World Series contender and likely winner of a World Series. Bite the bullet financially the next few years and reap the benefits of being a World Series contender in doing so.

That would add 100 million in payroll and make the Angels the single most expensive team in baseball with no hope of doing back under the luxury tax for at least 3-4 years.

Ok just looking at the votes, then general consensus is that the Angels will sign either 2 or 3 players, and two of those will be Gerrit Cole and Martin Maldonado. 

Now I can relay this to Billy so that he can know our expectations by the time he leaves the Winter Meetings.

Don't disappoint us, Billy. This fanbase can turn ugly, real fast. I saw it happen to Stoneman, Reagins and Dipoto. 

I think a selling point to Cole was the fact they made public that they were meeting with Maldonado. He caught Cole in 2019 and they both had great success. 
My prediction is they sign Cole and Maldonado. My pipe dream is they get Strasburg as well but that would put them in the $205M range of actual payroll (although it's still less AAV money so they can afford it without being taxed). The second option would be to sign Cole, Maldonado and then trade for a solid number 2 pitcher. 

The Angels better have been saving the money they have made from marketing Ohtani to push way past their typical $180M end of season budget. Arte now owns the entire lot the stadium sits in so he knows big money is coming in his pockets.

He has the chance to really make the Angels the Yankees of the West and this is the year to stomp his foot on the ground.