• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cops Are Great: The Sequel

Adam

10 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I understand that police have a very difficult job and that someone has to do it.  But more and more it’s hard to justify that with what we actually see.  The advent of camera phones and social media is proving that these things are not isolated incidents.  The whole blue lives matter campaign and the attitudes associated with it.  It speaks to a horribly grotesque and violent culture that apparently permeates American policing.  Not just in words and thought.  But in actual acts.  Constantly.  

I think that isolated incidents is till the norm, I think we just see more of it now because of reasons you stated above. Almost all departments are using the body cams which is great as it allows for transparency, accountability and what kind of additional training that cops need. For sure there are departments that are littered with corruption and poor policies but I think 90% of the cops out there are good at their jobs and are doing the best they can. It's a job where you can make a mistake which results in death and the cop ending up in prison.  

I know that you’re just saying 90% as an example.  But imagine if that was something that was accurate.  10% bad apples is extremely bad for this kind of thing. 

and it’s not just corruption.  It’s a poisoned mindset.  That’s what concerns me.  I saw a video of these two cops choke holding this guy over a drug offense.  Why do cops use chokeholds so often ? It’s bad man.  Like it’s worse then I think a lot of us want to believe. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

Like people joke that cops are the idiot bully jock morons from high school.  But I’m not sure that it’s a completely inaccurate joke.  I think this kind of job, and the power that comes along with it.  It is appealing to a certain type of person who is unfit for the job.  It seems to me that we do a bad job filtering those types. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

I know that you’re just saying 90% as an example.  But imagine if something that was accurate.  10% bad apples is extremely bad for this kind of thing. 

and it’s not just corruption.  It’s a poisoned mindset.  That’s what concerns me.  I saw a video of these two cops choke holding this guy over a drug offense.  Why do cops use chokeholds so often ? It’s bad man.  Like it’s worse then I think a lot of us want to believe. 

yes, 10% is a problem and much of it is a training issue. Many departments do not allow things like choke holds and hog tying because of the dangers associated with them. I don't know if it's worse than what think unless you live in certain areas. 

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Like people joke that cops are the idiot bully jock morons from high school.  But I’m not sure that it’s a completely inaccurate joke.  I think this kind of job, and the power that comes along with it.  It is appealing to a certain type of person who is unfit for the job.  It seems to me that we do a bad job filtering those types. 

This I agree with. Only a HS diploma is required 

the rambo cops need to be filtered out and either retrained or moved out of the system.

but there's also an issue with people being a whole lot more brazen in interacting with police. i don't know if that was the case here, but in general, people are more bold in dickish behavior to the cops. 

3 hours ago, Tank said:

the rambo cops need to be filtered out and either retrained or moved out of the system.

but there's also an issue with people being a whole lot more brazen in interacting with police. i don't know if that was the case here, but in general, people are more bold in dickish behavior to the cops. 

I don’t know about that.  But even if that were the case.  People are dick heads to the clerks at Walmart.  That obviously doesn’t sanction violent reprisal from the Walmart clerk.  Cops have to deal with people that’s the job.  It can be dangerous.  If a police officer isn’t able to reconcile those risks with appropriate behavior then they simply can’t be Police.  Being rude or belligerent to a police officer doesn’t give them a free hand to assault you.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

15 hours ago, Tank said:

The fact that they were all firing on a suspect on a crowded street and taking cover behind civilians is one of the worst things I’ve seen. This is a department wide issue for Broward County. Rule #4 of basic firearm safety “know your target and what is beyond it”. They just skipped that one 

Edited by Jason

• 2 weeks later...