• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Easy off-season to fix a rotation

Erstad Grit

On 9/25/2019 at 7:32 PM, Second Base said:

If I'm Eppler, I throw everything and the kitchen sink at this problem. There is absolutely no reason why a team with Trout and Ohtani, in beautiful Southern California, with a high budget and a stronger farm system should not be in the playoffs.

Meaning go out and spend 35 million on starting pitching, get Ohtani back healthy and even dangle La Stella, Thaiss, Ward, Barria, Suarez, Goodwin... Anything fringe that we have in order to acquire even more starting pitching via trade.

If you can come away with a rotation fronted by Cole, Ohtani, Wheeler and someone like Robbie Ray and rounded out by Canning and Heaney, then I firmly believe the offensive component of Trout, Ohtani, Upton, Adell, Fletcher and Simmons can handle the rest. Not to mention what can be expected to be another stronger bullpen.

There is no reason why the Angels shouldn't be a playoff team next year.

Unfortunately, I think it will cost a lot more than 35 million to fix the problem.  I actually believe that Cole will demand around 30 million himself, and Wheeler will want another 20 million.  I just don't see us getting both, but I hope to hell I am wrong.  

This is what I hope we do ... 

We sign Cole for whatever price we can get him.  And depending on how much we have left, we go after a second tier pitcher (if you have the money for Wheeler he's obviously my first choice but I just don't see it).  So I say you offer a 15-18 million dollar deal to someone like Odorizzi or maybe 12-15 million to someone like Kuechel.  But, with this staff I do not think that will be enough.  

So, instead of trading our farm for Thor, I think we could to the opposite.  I think we could package Simba, Rengifo, and Thaiss and see if you can't get some young quality pitching that is currently in AAA and a year away from being MLB ready.  The Mets have a couple of guys like that.  Then you move those guys into a rotation with Suarez, Sandoval, and Pena.  This means our rotation will look like Cole, Odorizzi, Heaney, Canning (until he gets Tommy John at least), Ohtani, and whoever is best between Suarez, Sandoval, Pena, and the two quality AAA guys we just traded for.  This way, we'll have a lot of depth in case Canning's arm issue continue to linger, and if we get less than 100 innings from Ohtani.  And oddly enough, if we remain relatively healthy we'll have strengthened our farm system. 

On 9/25/2019 at 5:39 PM, tdawg87 said:

I agree, and I think the $35 million should be expanded. Make it $50 million and Cole and Strasburg are realistic possibilities. 

Not my money.

Strasburg is 31 and he's leaving 4 years at 25 mil per on the table. You're willing to pay him more? Try and trade for Thor in the off seasonn and sign Cole and we look good. I think we could get it done without trading Adell. Maybe Jahmai Jones, Marsh, plus Heaney and maybe another pitching prospetc.

5 hours ago, tchula said:

Unfortunately, I think it will cost a lot more than 35 million to fix the problem.  I actually believe that Cole will demand around 30 million himself, and Wheeler will want another 20 million.  I just don't see us getting both, but I hope to hell I am wrong.  

That’s why you backload it to after this year/after Pujols and Upton are off the books. 

While I'd love three starters, I think they're gonna get two.

I just hope they go after Mad Bum and Cole. Those two will cost somewhere around 60M. I think if they backload the first two years, they can squeeze it in.

But they may also exercise Calhoun's option and try to trade him for a starter.

7 hours ago, Hubs said:

While I'd love three starters, I think they're gonna get two.

I just hope they go after Mad Bum and Cole. Those two will cost somewhere around 60M. I think if they backload the first two years, they can squeeze it in.

But they may also exercise Calhoun's option and try to trade him for a starter.

it's not gonna cost that for those two.  50m AAV at most.  

Cole could look to break Greinke's 34.4, and MadBum could easily get 25.

I think $50 is more likely, too. I think Cole will get what David Price got, and I think Bumgarner will get say 22.5 / 5. Whomever gives him that extra year, whether it's 4 or 5th year's gonna get him. He seems like the guy that values stability.

The two guys are only a year apart. Cole is 29, and MadBum is 30.

MadBum does have more years and innings on his arm, but that and a slow recovery from Shoulder Injury in 2017 is why he's not the top guy on the market.

So I could see 18 for MB in his first year and 27 in Cole's first, but I could also see AAV's closer to 55 or 60 for the pair.

On 9/27/2019 at 2:44 PM, Blarg said:

Who plays shortstop and 2nd base? 

You're right, and I got a little head of myself.  Substitute Rengifo with someone like Hermosillo and even throw in Jahmai Jones.  The key here is we package Simba and some MLB ready role players or player for a couple of really good solid AAA arms.  La Stella would play second, and Fletcher would play short.  If you keep Rengifo then he can play 2nd and move Fletcher over to third.  Surely, Simba, Thiass, Hermisillo, and Jones could land us two quality AAA arms or a quality AAA arm and a good AA arm. 

Here is my hope for the rotation. Sign Cole (best fit for us on the market in years), Yes he will be pricey. Sign MadBum (the man is a bulldog and can teach that to our young pitchers). Yes he will be pricey as well. Make a trade for Ray (it will cost some of our depth but I would not touch Adell or Marsh. I expect we could see both Adell and Marsh up and productive by midseason.). That would give us a rotation of Cole, MadBum, Ohtani, Ray, Heaney, and the kids (Canning, Sandoval, etc). That rotation would compete with any team in the league. I also would say we need to pony up Arte's money and pay for Grandal.

On 9/26/2019 at 7:51 AM, yk9001 said:

I love Ohtani.  He is by far my favorite player since the 2002 group.

I looked at the urban dictionary definition of novelty act:

A artistic performer with an act that is strongly linked to some particular gimmick that makes it stand out from the crowd, even though it has little intrinsic value, and is therefore likely to wear out its audience quickly.

I didn't think about the part that says he has no intrinsic value.  Ohtani has a lot of value.  But he's been here for two seasons, and he hasn't come close to being a full time two way player.  Not even close!

I would love to see him pitch 26 sundays, and DH Tuesday through Friday.  I have zero faith in that happening.  Penciling him in as in integral part of the 2020 rotation seems farfetched.

well, he did have tommy john surgery. that's kind of a big deal during the course of a two year period.