• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Athletic article on catchers next season for the Angels

Pancake Bear

Paywall, but a few interesting notes.

Eppler said that the club’s evaluations of its catchers and the position going forward will be more predicated on the “primary tools” of the position – namely fielding (or framing) and throwing – while offensive contributions are secondary. The goal of the position, as Eppler and Ausmus both said, is to make the pitchers better. 

That doesn’t rule out Grandal, since he is an elite pitch framer.

The Angels catchers who have graded out positively in terms of framing are Garneau (0.5 Framing Runs), Bemboom (0.5) and Stassi (3.9 with Angels, 9.8 overall).

When the Angels didn’t acquire a single pitcher at this year’s trade deadline, Eppler countered by pointing to the club’s acquisition of Stassi from the Astros.

(Stassi has three hits in 49 plate appearances in an Angels uniform) but behind the plate he has produced as advertised.)

Despite just 352 innings this season for the Astros and Angels, his 9.8 Framing Runs are the fifth-most in baseball. Given that he is out of minor-league options but won’t hit free agency until after the 2022 season, Stassi currently figures to be the club’s most likely backup catcher going into next year.”

Names listed as possible acquisitions:

FA: Grandal, Castro, d’Arnaud, Maldonado, Avila

Trade options: Hedges, Barnes, Caratini, 

Still don't get the Stassi trade, but I'm willing to give him a shot next year. I think the offense will be good enough overall so they can basically punt the catcher position in the lineup.

Hopefully adding some legitimate pitchers will let Stassi show his value. But regardless, he's going to be Mathis 2: Electric Boogaloo and there will be a lot of bitching. 

At this point, I'll trust the process. 

5 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Still don't get the Stassi trade, but I'm willing to give him a shot next year. I think the offense will be good enough overall so they can basically punt the catcher position in the lineup.

Hopefully adding some legitimate pitchers will let Stassi show his value. But regardless, he's going to be Mathis 2: Electric Boogaloo and there will be a lot of bitching. 

At this point, I'll trust the process. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with a player like Stassi / Mathis in a backup role. Now getting the bulk of at bats is going to cause some bitching for sure.

Maldonado part of the 2020 solution at catcher?

well, we did get Sandoval for him in that trade with Houston.

why didn't we sign Maldonado at the start of this season when he went unsigned all Spring Training until KC finally signed him (almost after the season started) only because Sal Perez suddenly was out for the season.

1 hour ago, disarcina said:

Maldonado part of the 2020 solution at catcher?

well, we did get Sandoval for him in that trade with Houston.

why didn't we sign Maldonado at the start of this season when he went unsigned all Spring Training until KC finally signed him (almost after the season started) only because Sal Perez suddenly was out for the season.

I think you answered your own question.  

let's get Grandal.