• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This guy....

DMVol

3 hours ago, John Taylor said:

Numbers are looking pretty solid so far, WHIP in A/AA below 1.00. i'm sure the Sabermetrics people will find some xBFAKP9 statistic that shows his spin rate is 39 percent below the league average or something:

But not before some baseball neanderthal points to his ERA as proof of his success.

3 hours ago, DMVol said:

Pitched well at SLC last night and has solid stats as a minor leaguer. To the scouting gurus, is he a legit prospect? He isn’t on the MLB.com top 30. 

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=676755#/career/R/pitching/2019/ALL

Edit: Just noticed he was picked for the Fall League....

Anyone that has two pitches they can throw for strikes and can generate Ks is a RP prospect -- Mattson has that and he's actually performed well.. 

Mattson throws a fringe FB and solid cuve -- his control has been his calling card since college.   Still, despite the lack of pure gas he's always put up solid periphs and he was very good in the ACC which at the time had some of the best bats in college. 

He's not in the 30, but that's more of an indication the improving system depth -- last time I looked none of the top 30 were pitching out of relief.

10 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Anyone that has two pitches they can throw for strikes and can generate Ks is a RP prospect -- Mattson has that and he's actually performed well.. 

Mattson throws a fringe FB and solid cuve -- his control has been his calling card since college.   Still, despite the lack of pure gas he's always put up solid periphs and he was very good in the ACC which at the time had some of the best bats in college. 

He's not in the 30, but that's more of an indication the improving system depth -- last time I looked none of the top 30 were pitching out of relief.

His K rate is outstanding....kind of a head scratcher with a fringe FB?

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Dude puts it where he wants.  It's not like he struggles to hit 90, he's routinely at around 92-93, but he hits his spots with both pitches.   

Basically, he's Cam Bedrosian with excellent control.

any indication that his FB might be playing up a bit now that he's out of the pen?  

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

any indication that his FB might be playing up a bit now that he's out of the pen?  

I've seen him flash mid 90s, but he's pretty consistently 92-93.   Thing is he can throw that curve for a strike on any count which makes the FB "play up" for different reasons.  

Watching him a few times, his walk totals aren't really indicative of his control.    I've seen the catcher set up 4 inches outside the plate and he hits the glove.   It bears watching if he continues to have that sort of control now that he's using the MLB balls in AAA, particularly if he can still drop the CB for strikes the way he has.

I don't really know what to predict from him but he's an interesting guy to watch and someone that could do really well paired with the right catcher.

Edited by Inside Pitch

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

I've seen hin flash mid 90s, but he's pretty consistently 92-93.   Thing is he can throw that curve for a strike on any count which makes the FB "play up" for different reasons.  

Watching him a few times, his walk totals aren't really indicative of his control.    I've seen the catcher set up 4 inches outside the plate and he hits the glove.   It bears watching if he continues to have that sort of control now that he's using the MLB balls in AAA, particularly if he can still drop the CB for strikes the way he has.

I don't really know what to predict from him but he's an interesting guy to watch and someone that could do really well paired with the right catcher.

I think of a guy like Will Harris who has had a very effective career without a blazing fastball.