• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels call up Miguel Del Pozo, send Suarez down

mmc

11 hours ago, totdprods said:

One thing encouraging about Barria is he’s increased his K rate a good bit and cut back on walks. He’s just been too hittable and prone to walks. Seems like he’s getting a bit too much of the plate avoiding walks and pounding the zone, perhaps a bit too much, but it’s a step in the right direction. He just needs to learn to balance that a bit more. 

Suarez is pretty similar in that regard. A lot of strikeouts, decent walk rate for a rookie that young, but getting stung by the HR ball and catching too much of the plate. 

Canning is definitely further ahead - once he learns to avoid mistakes and keep a few more in the park he’ll be cruising. Sandoval has looked much further along than I expected too.

Really encouraging stuff from all four so far this year. 

Really encouraging on Suarez and Barría? Both have ERA’s above 6 and just got sent down....Both are young and have potential (particularly Suarez) but you can't ignore the fact that they have both been pretty terrible....it might get better but cherry picking stats to ignore their struggles is a reach....not trying to be snarky, I just think you're reaching....

10 hours ago, DMVol said:

Really encouraging on Suarez and Barría? Both have ERA’s above 6 and just got sent down....You tend to live in your own little fantasy world sometimes....

There you go with ERA again. Did you love Parker Bridwell? These guys have like 50 IP on the year. Obviously they aren’t producing results yet. Arguably neither should have even reached the majors yet. 

The underlying numbers are encouraging. Rookie SPs tend to give up a lot of home runs, walk a lot of guys, and struggle with strikeouts. Barria and Suarez check one of those - the HR allowed - but Barria has made big strides in his BB:K, and Suarez is at least exhibiting the ability to strike guys out. These are good indicators and suggest that they’ll improve with some experience and have a better shot at settling into the rotation than someone like Bridwell. 

Lucas Giolito had an ERA over 6 last year at age 23, and his first few games at age 21. Robbie Ray? At age 22, his first taste, an ERA over 8, strikeout rate of only 6, and he allowed 43 hits (5 HR) in his first 29 IP. Matt Boyd’s ERA was 7.53 in his first dozen starts at age 24. He gave up 17 HR in his first 57 innings, struggled to strike guys out, walked a ton, allowed a bunch of hits. Blake Snell has similar issues. 

Its encouraging that Barria has boosted his Ks and cut walks (in limited games), and it’s encouraging that Canning, Suarez and Sandoval are both striking guys out a rate better than guys like Boyd and Ray and Giolito did. Parker Bridwell had an ERA in the 3.00s but gave up quite a few hits for someone who didn’t strike enough out, had an average HR rate, and an average BB rate. It blew up for him.

45 minutes ago, totdprods said:

There you go with ERA again. Did you love Parker Bridwell? These guys have like 50 IP on the year. Obviously they aren’t producing results yet. Arguably neither should have even reached the majors yet. 

The underlying numbers are encouraging. Rookie SPs tend to give up a lot of home runs, walk a lot of guys, and struggle with strikeouts. Barria and Suarez check one of those - the HR allowed - but Barria has made big strides in his BB:K, and Suarez is at least exhibiting the ability to strike guys out. These are good indicators and suggest that they’ll improve with some experience and have a better shot at settling into the rotation than someone like Bridwell. 

Lucas Giolito had an ERA over 6 last year at age 23, and his first few games at age 21. Robbie Ray? At age 22, his first taste, an ERA over 8, strikeout rate of only 6, and he allowed 43 hits (5 HR) in his first 29 IP. Matt Boyd’s ERA was 7.53 in his first dozen starts at age 24. He gave up 17 HR in his first 57 innings, struggled to strike guys out, walked a ton, allowed a bunch of hits. Blake Snell has similar issues. 

Its encouraging that Barria has boosted his Ks and cut walks (in limited games), and it’s encouraging that Canning, Suarez and Sandoval are both striking guys out a rate better than guys like Boyd and Ray and Giolito did. Parker Bridwell had an ERA in the 3.00s but gave up quite a few hits for someone who didn’t strike enough out, had an average HR rate, and an average BB rate. It blew up for him.

I wasn't talking about Canning and Sandoval, lots of upside there....On Suarez and Barria, certainly both could improve, particularly Suarez....I think there was a lot of concern after last year that Barria could be another Bridwell ....so far, it looks like he might be, as some predicted (not me, I was hopeful, probably too optimistic)....Like any stat, ERA can be deceiving but you can't just gloss it over with other indicators, I don't think....but back to where we started, I think Parcells got it right....Barria was good last year, even if the peripherals weren't encouraging...he won and he kept runs to a minimum....it appears big league hitters (and AAA hitters) may have figured him out this year, regardless of his peripherals...and therein lies the rub....Snell and Giolito got better, Suarez may too...that's normal...but Barria got worse, which is a concen....maybe hitters figured him out, we'll see...sorry if I was snarky, good discussion....

So, is Peters another Bridwell? I can't tell to be honest...

On 8/19/2019 at 10:19 AM, DMVol said:

I wasn't talking about Canning and Sandoval, lots of upside there....On Suarez and Barria, certainly both could improve, particularly Suarez....I think there was a lot of concern after last year that Barria could be another Bridwell ....so far, it looks like he might be, as some predicted (not me, I was hopeful, probably too optimistic)....Like any stat, ERA can be deceiving but you can't just gloss it over with other indicators, I don't think....but back to where we started, I think Parcells got it right....Barria was good last year, even if the peripherals weren't encouraging...he won and he kept runs to a minimum....it appears big league hitters (and AAA hitters) may have figured him out this year, regardless of his peripherals...and therein lies the rub....Snell and Giolito got better, Suarez may too...that's normal...but Barria got worse, which is a concen....maybe hitters figured him out, we'll see...sorry if I was snarky, good discussion....

So, is Peters another Bridwell? I can't tell to be honest...

Last year's Barria/Bridwell concerns were based on the fact that his ERA (3.41) significantly outperformed his FIP (4.58) much like Bridwell did the year prior - a 3.64 ERA with a 4.84 FIP. Neither posted big strikeout numbers 5.4 K/9 for Bridwell, 6.8 K/9 for Barria, which was the biggest red flag, given that Barria walked quite a few still (3+) and both allowed around a hit every inning. Both limited the HR ball to an average rate, which wouldn't be a big deal - if they were better at limiting walks or striking guys out. 

And that's exactly the point I'm making about Barria - this year, he's dramatically increased his strikeouts - up to nearly one per inning (8.9) while also cutting down on his walks - still allowing 3 per inning, but he's shaved off a half-point, down to 2.8 from 3.3. 

And again, I'm brought back to sample size, and why ERA is a really poor indicator in Barria's case. Here's his game by game:

• 4/10: In relief, 2.2 IP, 4 H, ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 0 HR - perfectly acceptable results
  • 4/16: 5 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 HR in a traditional start - a vintage 2018 Barria GS, not bad, not great.
  • 4/21: 5 IP, 4 H, ER, 0 BB, 3 K - paired with an opener, a very good start.
  • 4/27: 1.2 IP, 10 H, 7 ER, BB, K - paired with an opener, a total disaster. Still, zero HR allowed, only one walk, just a ton of hits.
  • 6/6: 5 IP, 3 H, ER, 2 BB, 6 K, HR - long-relief, pitched very well.
  • 6/26: 5 IP, 3 H, ER, 2 BB, 6 K, HR - identical to last appearance, strong start.
  • 7/3: 5 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 8 K, HR - another similar strong start
  • 7/19: 3.2 IP, 9 H, 10 ER, 4 BB, 4 K, 2 HR - followed a 2 IP Taylor Cole opener, and an absolute shitshow. Hits, walks, home runs.
  • 7/24: 5 IP, 3 H, ER, 2 BB, 3 K, HR  - traditional start, another vintage 2018 Barria GS, not bad, not great.
  • 7/29: 5 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 2 HR - traditional start, allowed two solo HRs, otherwise perfectly solid start.
  • 8/4: 3.2 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 6 K, 3 HR - traditional start, stung by three solo home runs despite many walks and hits.
  • 8/9: 5 IP, 6 H, 5 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 2 HR - traditional start, done in again by home runs and inability to strike guys out.
  • 8/20: 5 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HR - traditional start, and another typical Barria outing.
  • 8/25: 5.1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, 0 HR - traditional start, and yet another typical Barria outing. 

Right off the bat, a quick observation yields he was shelled in two of his starts with an opener.
In those cases, the Angels have already used a reliever and are counting on their SP to eat up innings, especially with the injury issues we've had this year. Had it been a traditional start, he might not have lasted long enough to allow 7 and 10 earned runs respectively, but they didn't have much choice. That's the risk of using an opener. It also leads one to think that maybe Jaime Barria really shouldn't be paired with an opener, as he's fared much better in starts without one. 

Second, he's been stung, like so many, by the home run ball this year. Most rookie SPs have higher-than-average HR rates, often coupled with high walk rates, high hit rates, and low strikeout rates. Two of those ring true for Barria - hits and homers - but two have reversed course over last year - walks are down, strikeouts are way up. That tends to happen as a rookie SP adjusts and improves. 

Obviously, Barria is struggling of late, but he's only 22, and never had a sky-high ceiling as is - he always projected as a #3-4 at best, and is only two years removed from A+, and four years from AZL/Orem. Throughout his minor league career, he always allowed a fair number of hits, but was pretty good at limiting home runs. He walked around 2 per 9, and struck out around 6-8 per nine. For him to be trending closer to 9 strikeouts an inning in the bigs, with his walks coming down, is a good sign. He just needs to limit the HR and his mistake pitches to big-league hitters. And stop being used with an opener.

Edited by totdprods

34 minutes ago, totdprods said:

....And that's exactly the point I'm making about Barria - this year, he's dramatically increased his strikeouts - up to nearly one per inning (8.9) while also cutting down on his walks - still allowing 3 per inning, but he's shaved off a half-point, down to 2.8 from 3.3. 

So he's increased his strikeouts and cut down his walks...but he's still been terrible with the Angels and at SLC, where he was just optioned.....methinks we're missing the forest for the trees....but we can agree to disagree....

What about Peters?  Bridwell Part Deuce or some hope for the long term?

26 minutes ago, DMVol said:

So he's increased his strikeouts and cut down his walks...but he's still been terrible with the Angels and at SLC, where he was just optioned.....methinks we're missing the forest for the trees....but we can agree to disagree....

What about Peters?  Bridwell Part Deuce or some hope for the long term?

Pretty much every pitcher has been horrendous in the PCL/SLC so I’m not even really looking at numbers there anymore. For hitters or pitchers. Everything’s radically inflated.

And yeah, I guess agree to disagree. I’m not going to judge Barria too harshly when his two worst outings came in unfamiliar circumstances. Overall I think he’s been solid and has trended the right way on two key aspects in strikeouts and walks. I’m confident he’ll improve on limiting the hits and home runs with experience as most MLB SPs do. I still think he’ll wind up a durable #4 SP, 160-180 IP, 4.50 ERA. Occasionally, he’ll have a rough stretch and may hover around 5+, but think he might pull together a 3.50 every now and then too. Sort of like a Mike Leake/Ivan Nova type. 

I like Peters a lot more than Bridwell. His peripherals are much better than Bridwell, and like Barria, his overall stats don’t paint an accurate picture. Since Peters started being used in a starting role, he’s reeled off 34 IP, 35 hits, only 6 walks to 29 strikeouts, and 6 HR. Like everyone else in baseball this year, more homers allowed than you’d like at 1.6 a game in that span,  but a 1.6 BB/9 is great and offers him just enough breathing room for allowing an hit per inning. And, when matched with a 7.6 K/9, it’s a decent ratio. Like Bridwell, he’s probably better served as a spot-starter and doesn’t have the regular starter ceiling like Barria, but also like both, he could probably drop in and give you 20 GS of 4.00 ERA ball if you got lucky with him for a year. I like what he offers from the left side in contrast to Suarez and Sandoval.

I’m also not convinced that Bridwell would have been all that bad - he has had a ton of injury issues since that fluke year, probably a partial result of his conversation back to starting. You don’t get that bad that fast just because you outpitched your peripherals for 20 starts. 

Edited by totdprods

17 minutes ago, totdprods said:

....I’m also not convinced that Bridwell would have been all that bad - he has had a ton of injury issues since that fluke year, probably a partial result of his conversation back to starting. You don’t get that bad that fast just because you outpitched your peripherals for 20 starts. 

Thought the same thing....maybe his results were some smoke and mirrors in 2017 but he might have settled in to a decent back end of the rotation guy, without the injuries....maybe something like Nolasco in a good year....

16 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Thought the same thing....maybe his results were some smoke and mirrors in 2017 but he might have settled in to a decent back end of the rotation guy, without the injuries....maybe something like Nolasco in a good year....

He also pitched well against everyone except Oakland, and they claimed/signed him at one point, which leads me to believe they had an idea how to help him. But I think ultimately something health or mechanics wise has been off since. 

Crazy to think these guys shouldn’t even be here. Our 2019 rotation was almost certainly always intended to be Ohtani, Richards, Skaggs, Heaney, and Shoemaker with Tropeano and Ramirez for depth as recently as last May 2018. It’s a good reminder how patient we should be with Canning, Suarez, Barria, and Sandoval. They’ve been rushed, and as such, any promising indicators should be encouraging. Their struggles are only enhanced by the lack of arms ahead of them. 

Edited by totdprods

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He also pitched well against everyone except Oakland, and they claimed/signed him at one point, which leads me to believe they had an idea how to help him. But I think ultimately something health or mechanics wise has been off since. 

Crazy to think these guys shouldn’t even be here. Our 2019 rotation was almost certainly always intended to be Ohtani, Richards, Skaggs, Heaney, and Shoemaker with Tropeano and Ramirez for depth as recently as last May 2018. It’s a good reminder how patient we should be with Canning, Suarez, Barria, and Sandoval. They’ve been rushed, and as such, any promising indicators should be encouraging. Their struggles are only enhanced by the lack of arms ahead of them. 

Especially since all 4 of them are no older than 22, and all have had at least 3 MLB starts already.

18 minutes ago, totdprods said:

...Crazy to think these guys shouldn’t even be here. Our 2019 rotation was almost certainly always intended to be Ohtani, Richards, Skaggs, Heaney, and Shoemaker with Tropeano and Ramirez for depth as recently as last May 2018. It’s a good reminder how patient we should be with Canning, Suarez, Barria, and Sandoval. They’ve been rushed, and as such, any promising indicators should be encouraging. Their struggles are only enhanced by the lack of arms ahead of them. 

Not sure how Eppler could have prepared for all the injuries, except sign or trade for somebody other than Cahill and Harvey....and obviously Skaggs was a total body blow from nowhere...but I guess the bright side is that maybe the 4 of the them take their lumps and get better....sometimes getting thrown into the deep end isn't the worst thing....and pitchers have a shelf life...injuries are part of it so maybe getting them started early isn't as bad as it may seem right now...

Get two solid FA starters in here, and then there is a LOT of depth after them in 2020: Canning, Ohtani, Heaney, Barria, Sandoval, Suarez, Peters, and maybe Pena once healthy.   Takes some pressure off of those 7-8 guys after the two new solid FA starters. 

I would prefer to focus on those two solid FA starters plus one late innings FA in the off-season.

There is enough hitting and defense here, with more on the way (Adell, Marsh).

I missed Del Pozo yesterday - how did he look? 

And @DMVol, another solid start from Barria, who is looking like he is typically a lock for a 5 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 HR performance almost every time he takes the mound, which in a #5, would be pretty damn good. Steps in the right direction.

Barria doesn't miss enough bats to avoid the occasional 7 ER shelling, but most of the time, he's been pretty reliable, and he continues to show some improvement in generating strikeouts and cutting back walks. 

16 minutes ago, totdprods said:

And @DMVol, another solid start from Barria, who is looking like he is typically a lock for a 5 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 HR performance almost every time he takes the mound, which in a #5, would be pretty damn good. Steps in the right direction.

Barria doesn't miss enough bats to avoid the occasional 7 ER shelling, but most of the time, he's been pretty reliable, and he continues to show some improvement in generating strikeouts and cutting back walks. 

Would love to see Barria settle in and finish strong...he got pounded at SLC in his last start so I'm a little surprised he pitched as well as he did yesterday (short but effective).  Not sure about Suarez....you have to worry a little about his confidence, at 21....same with Sandoval....Barria had a full year in the bigs last year so not worried about running him out there, even if struggles a little....

What about Peters' start Monday?  A little disappointing but certainly not bad....

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

Would love to see Barria settle in and finish strong...he got pounded at SLC in his last start so I'm a little surprised he pitched as well as he did yesterday (short but effective).  Not sure about Suarez....you have to worry a little about his confidence, at 21....same with Sandoval....Barria had a full year in the bigs last year so not worried about running him out there, even if struggles a little....

What about Peters' start Monday?  A little disappointing but certainly not bad....

What happened to his command on Monday?    First 37.1 innings produced just 9 BBs, Monday alone (4 innings plus) produced 4 BBs.

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

What happened to his command on Monday?    First 37.1 innings produced just 9 BBs, Monday alone (4 innings plus) produced 4 BBs.

Not sure....but as every manager and pitching coach says---they'll kill you.....

16 minutes ago, RBM said:

Barria has pitched in 11 games as a SP(8) or following an opener (3). He has had 6 good games and 5 bad games. He has yet to pitch more than 5 innings or face more than 23 batters in a game. I don't think he is a "lock" for a typical performance or "pretty reliable".

I feel the bad games need a little further definition - there's a big difference in allowing 3-4 ER across 4-5 innings, and 7 and 10 ER in a couple innings. 

He's gone 5 innings exact 3/4 of his 'starts', and allowed 2 ER or less 7 of those times. 75% of the time, he's giving us something very close to a quality start, posting almost an identical line every time - 5 IP, a hit per inning, 1 or 2 ER on 1 or 2 HR, 1 walk, and a strikeout per inning.
The other 25% of the time? Half of that, he's shelled, half of that, just average/mediocre.

Overall, considering his age, his ceiling, how fast he's moved, and his lack of any real dynamic strikeout stuff in the minors or majors, getting a 3.60 ERA out of him in 75% of his appearances is pretty decent, all things considered. 

Ideally as he matures, those 5 IP, 5 H, 2 ER appearances start becoming 6 or 7 IP, 3 ER more often. He's always going to have a handful of games where he gets blasted to the tune of 7-8 ER - most SPs do. 
It's the 5 IP, 4 H, 5 ER, 3 BB, 3 HR type-outings he needs to improve upon, where he walks too many and gives up the usual young-pitcher above-average HR rate.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

he looked like a lefty specialist.  faced two lefties and threw 5 curves and one fastball.  got a couple outs.  tough to tell if he can stick.  

Another vintage Barria start...I don't think he's ever really had a single start where he's dominated, but I swear it seems like he's always dropping a line very close to a 5 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 1 HR. 

Barria was rocked for 17 ER in 5.1 IP in two games, a 28.69 ERA. 
In the rest of his appearances, 12 games, 56.2 IP, he's allowed 25 ER, a 3.97 ERA.
His ERA might currently be 6.10 - but to me, it's pretty clear he isn't a 6 ERA pitcher, even though that is his current earned run average

Edited by totdprods