• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

No relief in sight

Glen

Seriously. We can't trade for anyone, nobody in the farm system is ready to make a difference. The only hope is for the guys currently on the team to get their shit together.

It's gonna be a long end of the season. We could easily end up in last place.

This ownership and management flat out sucks...  What a dumpster fire.  This team consistently underachieves and the Dish Network blackout is a blessing in disguise.  Now Arte is stuck with a wannabe manager as no quality manager wants to work for meddling Arte.  This will likely get much worse.  This organization has a losing mentality and has had for the better part of the last decade.  Light at the end of the tunnel is ownership change.

2 hours ago, BESCFAN said:

This ownership and management flat out sucks...  What a dumpster fire.  This team consistently underachieves and the Dish Network blackout is a blessing in disguise.  Now Arte is stuck with a wannabe manager as no quality manager wants to work for meddling Arte.  This will likely get much worse.  This organization has a losing mentality and has had for the better part of the last decade.  Light at the end of the tunnel is ownership change.

46 minutes ago, calscuf said:

If you fanboys aren’t ready to start pointing the finger at ownership, perhaps you would be better served thinking about that option rather than troll-tagging the newbies post.

Any team that sustained the problems with pitching that we have this year would suck. Any. Team. 

- Best pitcher misses the entire season because of TJS

- Next best pitcher literally dies. 

- Both FA acquisitions crapped the bed, performing significantly worse than career norms. (Yes, other teams deal with this. E.g. Sonny Gray in NY and Eovaldi this year.)

- The next two best pitchers are currently on the IL 

- The next best pitcher’s knee blew up. 

That is our seven best pitchers. Who do you think we should run out there? Do you think the Yankees have seven extra aces sitting in their farm system ready to take over for this apparently perfectly normal scenario? The genius Astros would obviously be prepared to replace seven pitchers. 

You can whine about Harvey and Cahill, but they were one year contracts in a year where we weren’t expected to seriously compete. Everything else was out of everyone’s control. Blaming anyone, whether that’s Arte, Billy, or Aus, just makes you look dumb.

Yeah, it sucks watching the team get blown out. But this is pure, ignorant jackassery. Seriously, get a clue. 

5 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Any team that sustained the problems with pitching that we have this year would suck. Any. Team. 

- Both FA acquisitions crapped the bed, performing significantly worse than career norms. (Yes, other teams deal with this. E.g. Sonny Gray in NY and Eovaldi this year.)

That is our seven best pitchers. Who do you think we should run out there? Do you think the Yankees have seven extra aces sitting in their farm system ready to take over for this apparently perfectly normal scenario? The genius Astros would obviously be prepared to replace seven pitchers. 

You can whine about Harvey and Cahill, but they were one year contracts in a year where we weren’t expected to seriously compete. Everything else was out of everyone’s control. Blaming anyone, whether that’s Arte, Billy, or Aus, just makes you look dumb.

Yeah, it sucks watching the team get blown out. But this is pure, ignorant jackassery. Seriously, get a clue. 

Why try to understand what is actually happening when you can rage like an imbecile?

2 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Why try to understand what is actually happening when you can rage like an imbecile?

I mean I’m as frustrated as anyone here...8 STRAIGHT LOSSES?! But like what can you expect... Sean-Regan broke it down perfectly. This isn’t even a major league team right now. This is a .500 team patched together with minor league scotch tape. 

23 minutes ago, TroutField said:

I mean I’m as frustrated as anyone here...8 STRAIGHT LOSSES?! But like what can you expect... Sean-Regan broke it down perfectly. This isn’t even a major league team right now. This is a .500 team patched together with minor league scotch tape.

This is reason we're struggling

"- Best pitcher misses the entire season because of TJS

- Next best pitcher literally dies. 

- Both FA acquisitions crapped the bed, performing significantly worse than career norms. (Yes, other teams deal with this. E.g. Sonny Gray in NY and Eovaldi this year.)

- The next two best pitchers are currently on the IL 

- The next best pitcher’s knee blew up

That is our seven best pitchers."

Now, we'll be getting Heaney (hopefully healthy) and Canning back so that's two to help but Suarez and Barria, while talented, are struggling and can't really be counted on for much more than 5 IP 3 ER per start.  Sandoval can miss some bats but will have his ups and downs as well.  Even good teams go through offensive slumps like this but they also have good starting pitching to lean as well which the Angels, at this point, do not.

I think the top three changes, through a signing (hopefully Cole but definitely a vet), a trade (someone with 2/3 years of control in exchange for some of our AAA talent) and health (Ohtani).  Due to Ohtani, you are still looking at a 6 man rotation meaning three more of Heaney, Canning, Peters, Pena, Barria, Suarez, J.C. Ramirez, Tropeano and Sandoval will be leaned on to provide that depth and, as usual, options will be important.

24 minutes ago, MacNasty said:

Because pitching falling apart is a new thing right?

No, it's not.  However, no team can plan for catastrophic physical failure of its pitchers similar to what the Angels have experienced.  You would be putting too much money and resources into the pitching staff alone if you could design it, and this would lead to catastrophic failure among the position players and their development.  Until this team can identify 8-10 starting pitchers with enough durability to get through a season, it will remain almost impossible to accomplish their goals. 

The one part I am frustrated about is Eppler not getting any starting pitching before the deadline. Heck, Jordan Lyles would have done wonders for this rotation. There was/is no way this season will end pretty.  It seems like Eppler, more times than not, ends up just short on trades and signings, at least in the last year. 

Getting Cole and a durable #3/#4 in here would do wonders for the others.

Less pressure on them, and someone to lead them by example

It’s as simple as that.

They have enough depth after them with 6-7 different guys in Ohtani, Canning, Heaney, Sandoval, Suarez, Barria, and assuming being healthy by ST, Pena.

38 minutes ago, jordan said:

The one part I am frustrated about is Eppler not getting any starting pitching before the deadline. Heck, Jordan Lyles would have done wonders for this rotation. There was/is no way this season will end pretty.  It seems like Eppler, more times than not, ends up just short on trades and signings, at least in the last year. 

But would Jordan Lyles make this team a WC competitor? 

I don't get it personally. I am totally on board with the frustrations, and throwing some shade at Arte and Eppler is understandable. But the ONLY way this team becomes a legit WC contender at the trade deadline is if we got Greinke, and Bauer. You see what those guys cost, right? We literally didn't have the assets to do that and if we did it would have completely destroyed our farm system (Bye bye Adell and Marsh, and also Bye bye Cole next year).

So trading assets for a pitcher to keep us afloat to maybe finish with 83-85 wins doesn't really make sense to me. Neither does completely destroying our already depleted farm system to MAYBE win the 2nd wildcard spot.

Also, pitchers like Robbie Ray might still be available in the off-season, and they won't cost as much because there isn't a huge demand like there is at the deadline. 

I think the Angels can compete with Ohtani coming back, a pitcher like Cole fronting the rotation, and a solid number 3 starter to replace Skaggs. That's a tall order but it's what needs to happen. Arte needs to open up his wallet and go all out to try to get Gerrit Cole, not to mention another pitcher like Bumgarner or Odorizzi. Eppler has his work cut out for him. Let's just say if they fail to bring in legit starters this off-season, then I'll be as pissed as you guys are. No more excuses. 

Edited by tdawg87

For the Angels current starting staff, three started at AAA this year and one started at AA.  The Angels are using four pitchers who began the season in the minors.  Sandoval started the 2018 season in AA, Suarez started the 2018 season in A also where Barria started the 2017 season.   The Angels are obviously using the only pitchers they have available and they appear to need some more development before being counted on.  This is my gripe, What the F*ck is Doug White doing?

Edited by eligrba

3 minutes ago, eligrba said:

For the Angels current starting staff, three started at AAA this year and one started at AA.  The Angels are using four pitchers who began the season in the minors.  Sandoval started the 2018 season in AA, Suarez started the 2018 season in A also where Barria started the 2017 season.   The Angels are obviously using the only pitchers they have available and they appear to need some more development before being counted on.  This is where my gripe, What the F*ck is Doug White doing?

I assume Doug White is like a manager at Walmart working 80 hours a week training new employees after 3 of them quit and 1 died. The new employees have severe learning and physical disabilities and one of them keeps going to the snack machine every 10 minutes. He's dead on the inside and wishes he was at Target.

55 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

But would Jordan Lyles make this team a WC competitor? 

I don't get it personally. I am totally on board with the frustrations, and throwing some shade at Arte and Eppler is understandable. But the ONLY way this team becomes a legit WC contender at the trade deadline is if we got Greinke, and Bauer. You see what those guys cost, right? We literally didn't have the assets to do that and if we did it would have completely destroyed our farm system (Bye bye Adell and Marsh, and also Bye bye Cole next year).

So trading assets for a pitcher to keep us afloat to maybe finish with 83-85 wins doesn't really make sense to me. Neither does completely destroying our already depleted farm system to MAYBE win the 2nd wildcard spot.

Also, pitchers like Robbie Ray might still be available in the off-season, and they won't cost as much because there isn't a huge demand like there is at the deadline. 

I think the Angels can compete with Ohtani coming back, a pitcher like Cole fronting the rotation, and a solid number 3 starter to replace Skaggs. That's a tall order but it's what needs to happen. Arte needs to open up his wallet and go all out to try to get Gerrit Cole, not to mention another pitcher like Bumgarner or Odorizzi. Eppler has his work cut out for him. Let's just say if they fail to bring in legit starters this off-season, then I'll be as pissed as you guys are. No more excuses. 

I totally agree on not blowing up the system for a small chance at the wild card.  The only trade I wanted to see happen was one that could just help this team make it through this season just so this season isn’t a complete embarrassment. This current team is about as desperate for pitching that I can ever recall. One arm could have helped to ease the burden a little bit. But it probably wouldn’t have made a big difference. Overall, this is just a frustrating season. 

9 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

Zip it, Pollyanna.

barack obama the world is burning GIF