• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

A Jason Vargas trade is close...

mmc

The Angels need innings but I think paying 8 million for them was too rich for their blood.  Vargas definitely would've saved the bullpen a bit, but he hardly would've been the ideal candidate to keep around next year.

But it's great that he cost nothing in return.  The Angels better have options a lot better than Jason Vargas moving forward in 2020, otherwise this would be an opportunity missed. 

Lol like an hour ago they were saying it was St.Louis. 

Well, that’s another trash pitcher off the market. I think the Angels will either make an exciting move or more likely they won’t do anything.  I’m thinking it’s like 90% they don’t anything worth an AW thread.  Which means that it’ll definitely be a 7 page thread.  Looking forward to it !

Jason Vargas is one of only 20 pitchers to pitch a shutout.

You blew it, Eppler.

Seriously though, he's owed a few million more this year, will either cost an $8M option next year or $2M buyout. So it is either $11M for a year and a third of Vargas, or $5M for a third of a year. Either way, not worth it.

It's about the money, Lebowski.

6 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Vargas was fine like 4 years ago.  He’s not helpful.  I don’t give a shit that they didn’t get him.  I’d rather they give the innings to a league minimum guy.  Dillion Peters, whoever.  Vargas is not good. 

He wasn't very good in the year we had him.

He'll also be 37 years old when the season starts next year.

Glad we passed on him.

3 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Lol like an hour ago they were saying it was St.Louis. 

Well, that’s another trash pitcher off the market. I think the Angels will either make an exciting move or more likely they won’t do anything.  I’m thinking it’s like 90% they don’t anything worth an AW thread.  Which means that it’ll definitely be a 7 page thread.  Looking forward to it !

That's what I'm thinking too.  Getting Greinke would be awesome.  Getting Boyd or Ray would be cool.  Getting Archer would be interesting at best.  But the likeliest route appears to be standing pat in my opinion.  They aren't going to overpay for Syndergaard, they won't take on the payroll for Grienke, so the aces are out of play.  My guess is Eppler is in on both Boyd and Ray, but he's pretty firm on what prospects he's willing to offer, and I'm guessing some competing team will likely be ok with paying more than the Angels.  And Archer....it's too much of a risk to take on salary and pay prospects. 

So I suspect we're going to see a heavy dose of Suarez, Barria, Heaney, Pena and some random minor leaguer.  And the bullpen....they'll need to cover a lot of innings, so I think the opener thing will end, the Angels will just keep shuffling arms back and forth between Salt Lake and Anaheim to keep the bullpen fresh enough to handle 4 innings a night. 

8 minutes ago, Second Base said:

That's what I'm thinking too.  Getting Greinke would be awesome.  Getting Boyd or Ray would be cool.  Getting Archer would be interesting at best.  But the likeliest route appears to be standing pat in my opinion.  They aren't going to overpay for Syndergaard, they won't take on the payroll for Grienke, so the aces are out of play.  My guess is Eppler is in on both Boyd and Ray, but he's pretty firm on what prospects he's willing to offer, and I'm guessing some competing team will likely be ok with paying more than the Angels.  And Archer....it's too much of a risk to take on salary and pay prospects. 

So I suspect we're going to see a heavy dose of Suarez, Barria, Heaney, Pena and some random minor leaguer.  And the bullpen....they'll need to cover a lot of innings, so I think the opener thing will end, the Angels will just keep shuffling arms back and forth between Salt Lake and Anaheim to keep the bullpen fresh enough to handle 4 innings a night. 

I'd be happy with Boyd and Ray, pass on Grienke we already rented him once before.

13 minutes ago, Second Base said:

If this is the plan for 2020, I won't be happy with it.    And they likely won't get any closer to a WC spot, since the starting rotation will still only be going 4-5 innings at a time. 

5 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Maybe we'll draft some fine young pitchers in the next several years who will be ready to give us quality innings by 2025-28.

I can wait, but not too much longer after that. I'm starting to get up there age-wise. 

It'll probably be yet another OF/IF in rounds 1-2 in 2020 and 2021.   If Eppler doesn't begin to trade from the OF/IF excess, then how will they ever get QUALITY pitching in here?