• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Going For It... Blues Style

Hubs

12 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Skaggs hasn’t been great but Heaney has only had three starts, one of which he gave up 5 runs because the pitcher who relieved him gave up a bunch of inherited runners.

By a bunch of inherited runners you mean none. 

Heaney gave up a three run shot to make it 5-1 in the 6th, then Luis Garcia got the final out.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ANA/ANA201906070.shtml

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

robot wtf GIF

im quoting this simply because I love this gif... 

As far as the topic goes... no, you dont "go for it" so to speak in that you dont make rash or crazy moves that have only that goal in mind.  Do you make a move that helps you make a run and help the future, of course you do thats always true.

AS for who i would look at, its not MadBum or Greinke.  Grienke is too damn expensive and we already went down that road once and he clearly wasnt interested in being here.   Madbum isnt worth what he will cost at this point though i do think we match up well with SF.  They are in desperate need of OF help and we have some to spare

I would see what Bauer would cost before talking to anyone else.  For me you only make the move if you can get a legit guy to lead these kids in the rotation, anything else would be a waste off time and prospects. 

You have to look at teams that are legit out of the race. And by that I mean either 10+ games out of division and wildcard.

AL STANDINGS:

HOU/TEX/OAK/LAA/SEA -- Only Seattle can likely not enter the playoff race at this point. Mike Leake and Wade LeBlanc may be available.

NYY/TB/BOS/TOR/BAL -- Toronto is likely not in the race, and neither is Baltimore. Boston is near our record, and obviously are built to win. Toronto has Stroman and he's likely to get moved, but as is he is cheap and under control, he'll cost a lot.

MIN/CLE/CWS/DET/KC -- Detroit and KC are both out of the race. White Sox and Cleveland are at or near our record. Sox aren't built to win now, but also don't have a lot of tradeable assets. The KC staff is arugably worse than ours, and even Duffy has some concerns.

NL STANDINGS:

ATL/PHI/NYM/WAS/MIA -- Washington and Miami are out of the race. Washington can maybe still salvage their season. Scherzer is a pipe dream. Mets are also under .500. De Grom is a pipe dream.

MIL/CHC/STL/CIN/PIT -- Cincinnati and Pittsburgh are out of the race, likely, but not that far out. Neither really have bad contracts in starting pitching or guys they'd need to part with. I suppose Alex Wood is a guy they could look at, but he's currently injured.

LAD/COL/ARI/SD/SF -- Only SF is out, SD is under .500 and the other teams are only a few games over, but selling Greinke makes sense for the D'Backs, cuz they sold everyone in the offseason and didn't bring back either of their FA.

I'm on MadBum and Greinke still.

7 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

Next year if they have 7 Starting Pitchers of which at least 3 have Options, then they should be able to run a 6 day rotation with minimal impact on the bullpen. 

And plenty of FF Miles to gain.

Ohtani, Suarez, and Canning will have options, Barria too. I suppose they could pull that with Suarez and Barria, but I see them having at least Skaggs and Heaney back as well, so that's 5. Adding a FA starter or A FA starter and one via trade, keeps this intact.

More Likely they have a pen guy they can start if they play more than 6 games a week. Like Pena or Ramirez.

Remember though if they carry 12 pitchers, 12 hitters and Ohtani, that's a 7 man pen, or a 3 man bench.

SP Greinke/Ohtani/FA/Heaney/Canning/ (1 of Skaggs or Suarez or Sandoval)

RP Middleton/Robles/Anderson/Buttrey/Bedrosian/JC Ramirez/Pena

Trout/Upton/Adell/ (1 of Goodwin/Puello/Calhoun/Hermosillio)

Simmons/Pujols/Fletcher/LaStella  (2 of Ward/Cozart/Rengifo/Bour/Thaiss)

Lucroy/Smith

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

You have to look at teams that are legit out of the race. And by that I mean either 10+ games out of division and wildcard.

AL STANDINGS:

HOU/TEX/OAK/LAA/SEA -- Only Seattle can likely not enter the playoff race at this point. Mike Leake and Wade LeBlanc may be available.

NYY/TB/BOS/TOR/BAL -- Toronto is likely not in the race, and neither is Baltimore. Boston is near our record, and obviously are built to win. Toronto has Stroman and he's likely to get moved, but as is he is cheap and under control, he'll cost a lot.

MIN/CLE/CWS/DET/KC -- Detroit and KC are both out of the race. White Sox and Cleveland are at or near our record. Sox aren't built to win now, but also don't have a lot of tradeable assets. The KC staff is arugably worse than ours, and even Duffy has some concerns.

NL STANDINGS:

ATL/PHI/NYM/WAS/MIA -- Washington and Miami are out of the race. Washington can maybe still salvage their season. Scherzer is a pipe dream. Mets are also under .500. De Grom is a pipe dream.

MIL/CHC/STL/CIN/PIT -- Cincinnati and Pittsburgh are out of the race, likely, but not that far out. Neither really have bad contracts in starting pitching or guys they'd need to part with. I suppose Alex Wood is a guy they could look at, but he's currently injured.

LAD/COL/ARI/SD/SF -- Only SF is out, SD is under .500 and the other teams are only a few games over, but selling Greinke makes sense for the D'Backs, cuz they sold everyone in the offseason and didn't bring back either of their FA.

I'm on MadBum and Greinke still.

Rumors already starting on Cle ... thats a conversation that really needs to happen in my opinion 

Side comment, this team, unlike some others in similar standings spot, has the talent to make a run.  Offensively we are doing very well, much better than i had hoped.  Making a positive move would easily be justifiable.  
I look at it like this, if we had gotten just average performance from Allen, Harvey, Cahill we would probably already be in the WC mix since were only 3.5 back and i think those 3 cost us at least 5 wins to date.
If they can make the right move(s) here it could put us in that spot AND carry over to 20.  
But it cants be a rental or other silly move, we cant do that now after all the building that has taken place.

Could Simmons be in play for a trade? 

I like him and his all around game, but his absence hasn't been catastrophic. He is one of the best trade assets with his contract not an immediate issue. He would be an upgrade for many other teams.

We have solid offense, good defense but need serious pitching upgrades. He should bring back an established starter and/or a nice package of younger prospects.

12 hours ago, floplag said:

Side comment, this team, unlike some others in similar standings spot, has the talent to make a run.  Offensively we are doing very well, much better than i had hoped.  Making a positive move would easily be justifiable.  
I look at it like this, if we had gotten just average performance from Allen, Harvey, Cahill we would probably already be in the WC mix since were only 3.5 back and i think those 3 cost us at least 5 wins to date.
If they can make the right move(s) here it could put us in that spot AND carry over to 20.  
But it cants be a rental or other silly move, we cant do that now after all the building that has taken place.

While I agree we should trade for a SP with control, I’d like to see Eppler open to trading for an expiring contract SP now, then be ready to re-trade him before the deadline.  Eppler’s system is good at identifying prospects so he should be aggressive.  We’d probably end up ahead if he’s trading from depth.

9 hours ago, Revad said:

While I agree we should trade for a SP with control, I’d like to see Eppler open to trading for an expiring contract SP now, then be ready to re-trade him before the deadline.  Eppler’s system is good at identifying prospects so he should be aggressive.  We’d probably end up ahead if he’s trading from depth.

Thats an awful lot of effort for basically day trading to gain an extra fringe prospect or two... just get what we need, dont get cute.