• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

At what point might the team consider just releasing Cozart?

mmc

I want to start off by saying this is not something I'm entirely sure I'm in favor of, but the Reds releasing Matt Kemp made me think this.  Cozart has been incredibly underwhelming and downright terrible this season, did not contribute much before being injured last season, and we have a plethora of infielders that might be MLB options before his contract ends. (La Stella, Fletcher, Rengifo, Jones, Simmons, Thaiss, Ward, etc).  I'm not entirely sure I want Cozart to be blocking some of these guys just to gamble on him becoming somewhat close to what he was before his anomaly 2017 season.  He is still owed a bit more money that we will have to give him regardless, but at what point might the team decide he just simply isn't worth the roster spot?  Might it happen some time this season?  In the offseason?  Some time next season?  Or will we just keep him throughout the remainder of his contract?

My guess is he will be given until at least the trade deadline and possibly until the end of August.  I would be fine if he never played for us again, but I don’t think that is the way it is going to go down.  We will see I guess.  

1 minute ago, Randy Gradishar said:

The Angels really are way too stacked on position players. They should trade a couple for a deGrom-type.

To get those kinds of player you need blue chip prospects going the other way, not just our extra players.

I said during the offseason that the angels should trade him before the season starts and he still has some iota of trade value. Now he's dead weight, and clogging up another valuable roster spot.

There is something seriously wrong when I have better foresight than the angels GM.

1 hour ago, JarsOfClay said:

I said during the offseason that the angels should trade him before the season starts and he still has some iota of trade value. Now he's dead weight, and clogging up another valuable roster spot.

There is something seriously wrong when I have better foresight than the angels GM.

You really think he had any trade value? 

35 minutes ago, Lou said:

You really think he had any trade value? 

Not much, but I think the angels could have enticed potential suitors by saying something along the lines of "He had a down year last year due to injuries, but healthy now and ready to contribute."

Part of a GM's job is to bullshit and sell it as much as possible.

Realistically, I think best bet is the kids outplay him - Fletcher, one of Rengifo/Ward, and La Stella, who gradually settles at 1B, with Cozart becoming the de facto UT IF. He’ll be expensive, but with how cheap the rest of the IF is it won’t be hurt the team too bad. 

I highly doubt they’ll be able to DFA or trade him until July at the earliest - he’s going to need every day up until the deadline to reestablish any value on that front, and I can’t see the Angels eating that money. By the time rosters expand, it’ll be easy for them to start slotting him into 2020 plans as an expensive Pennington, and they can cut DFA him anytime in 2020 without it being too painful. 

I really think one of Ward or Thaiss are dealt within the next year, and no need to rush Rengifo. He’s still really young and we don’t *need* to force him into an everyday role this year or next, especially if the Angels believe he has a good shot at being an above-average regular. Personally I think he’s just just going to be a good UT IF, a la Izturis.

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, JarsOfClay said:

Not much, but I think the angels could have enticed potential suitors by saying something along the lines of "He had a down year last year due to injuries, but healthy now and ready to contribute."

Yes and another part of a GMs job is to smell bullshit and not trade for a guy coming off of shoulder surgery who wasn’t great in the past and is owed $26 million. 

40 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yes and another part of a GMs job is to smell bullshit and not trade for a guy coming off of shoulder surgery who wasn’t great in the past and is owed $26 million. 

I honestly don't understand how this is so difficult to grasp 

2 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

If it were Eppler on the other side of your scenario everyone here would have gone apeshit, including you.

1 minute ago, Lou said:

I honestly don't understand how this is so difficult to grasp 

Cozart was only 1 year removed from a great year - the angels could have blamed his down year on injuries. Also, Before last year he was known as a very good fielding SS with a decent-good bat, and many teams were highly in need of a SS this year.

Of course the angels would have to eat some of the 26 million owed.  But even if you can get the team to eat 3-6 million, it's totally worth it.

1 minute ago, JarsOfClay said:

Cozart was only 1 year removed from a great year - the angels could have blamed his down year on injuries. Also, Before last year he was known as a very good fielding SS with a decent-good bat, and many teams were highly in need of a SS this year.

Of course the angels would have to eat some of the 26 million owed.  But even if you can get the team to eat 3-6 million, it's totally worth it.

Who needed a SS?

3 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

The Angels are going to eat his entire contract at some point. There’s not much Eppler can do about it. Cozart is burnt toast. 

10 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

I can't possibly remember that far lol, but the Yankees, Pirates, Cubs, Drays were a few that come to mind, and there were many others.

Yep, Eppler is going to call his old boss and just ask him to bend over. Easy peasy. 

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Cubs have Baez and spent zero dollars this off season.  Pirates have a very tight budget and let Harrison go.  Yanks have Didi coming back and gave a minor league deal to Tulo. 

and the Rays were going with Adames, who in 200 AB post-ASB in 2018, batted .305 with an OPS of .818

It's funny and confusing to read the replies you guy are making to someone I blocked (since I can't see the original post).

I think Cozart has had some bad luck with injuries and will likely be given every opportunity to rebound whether we like it or not. 

Edited by True Grich

11 minutes ago, True Grich said:

It's funny and confusing to read the replies you guy are making to someone I blocked (since I can't see the original post).

I think Cozart has had some bad luck with injuries and will likely be given every opportunity to rebound whether we like it or not. 

He has for sure been unlucky with the injuries but you have to wonder if that shoulder injury took him from being a mediocre player to being one of the worst in the league. Not his fault, but also doesn't inspire confidence that he'll rebound.

With Rengifo, Fletcher, La Stella playing as well as they have I think it's tough to justify him being given too many chances. I'd also rather give Thaiss/Ward at bats over Cozart down the stretch