• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sinclair Broadcast Group has bought Fox Sports West/Prime Ticket

Rico

7 hours ago, Ray McKigney said:

Maybe they'll stop those annoying 5 second ads that they've started showing this season during the middle of an inning. F*ck you, Fix Auto Collision.

Those are here to stay and expect more. 

23 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Those are here to stay and expect more. 

They are absolutely staying.  I think I read that one of the ways of shortening games is to eliminate 15 seconds of commercials between innings and have those 15 seconds be inserted during the innings.  I am all for shortening games especially in a way that has no affect on the game.

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Please do the math, that is not having an impact on game times being an hour longer that they were 20 years ago.

Yea, no shit.  Speaking of doing math the game is 10 minutes longer than it was in 1999 and 17 minutes longer than it was in 1989 (30 years ago), which isn’t an hour.  My point was if you can cut 5 minutes or so from the run time of a game by simply throwing in a little commercial spot in place of Gubi talking about Deep Purple, I am fine with it.

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

Sidenote, its kinda of odd to me that people are so obsessed over game time in a game with no clock when a typical NFL game takes 3 hours of which basically about 10 minutes of that time is the game actually being played. 

Yea Arte was interested but my guess is the cost was too high.  As for length of game, very seldom are football games starting at 7pm local time, with school/work the next day.   Plus I don’t think, and I could be wrong, there has been the increase in game time from one generation to another in football. In baseball it’s very easy to have one game go 90 minutes longer than another game.   It isn’t unusual to have a game go 2:30 and another game go 4 plus hours.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

the games are longer because no one swings the f'n bat anymore.  

Yep.  That and the pitcher doesn’t just get the ball, get the sign, then pitch the ball.  With no one on base the pitcher should be forced to catch the return throw from the catcher up on top of the mound and not at the base of the mound, then not allowed to do his little walk around the mound.  Batters have no reason to step out of the batters box, which has improved.  Lastly, just call the actual strike zone and that includes the high strike.  You start calling the high strike and the game will go much faster.  

27 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea Arte was interested but my guess is the cost was too high.  As for length of game, very seldom are football games starting at 7pm local time, with school/work the next day.   Plus I don’t think, and I could be wrong, there has been the increase in game time from one generation to another in football. In baseball it’s very easy to have one game go 90 minutes longer than another game.   It isn’t unusual to have a game go 2:30 and another game go 4 plus hours.  

True, That could perhaps be the reason i suppose but i dont recall ever seeing that as a talking point. 
But the difference in game time in mlb is to be expected when its a pitchers duel vs an offensive showcase, there is no way to limit that unless you start talking about mercy rules or limits on number of batters you can send up in an inning and that would affect the game in all kinds of ways noone wants to deal with.   If you put a clock on mlb games you would see games ending after 6 or 7 inning at times.  I dont think you can accurately compare the 2 in that regard.  

27 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

the games are longer because no one swings the f'n bat anymore.  

Yep, this is in my opinion a large part of the problem. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

going to be interested to see what triggers or contract stipulations are in place with the various mlb/fox deals upon the assignment to a new owner.  

Sinclair will have to assume all of the existing contract requirements.  I wouldn't expect anything new until those expire.

6 hours ago, Stradling said:

Yea, no shit.  Speaking of doing math the game is 10 minutes longer than it was in 1999 and 17 minutes longer than it was in 1989 (30 years ago), which isn’t an hour.  My point was if you can cut 5 minutes or so from the run time of a game by simply throwing in a little commercial spot in place of Gubi talking about Deep Purple, I am fine with it.

His Bachman Turner overdrive reference last night was the last straw ??‍♂️

8 hours ago, Stradling said:

He said early in the year that while he looked into it -- Disney was looking to sell off the entire thing and not individual regional networks -- so, he was out early.    Disney did just that,