• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Tyler Skaggs scratched with fatigue after experimenting with new pitch

TEMPE, Ariz. — Tyler Skaggs worked a little too hard on trying to add a pitch to his repertoire.

Skaggs was scratched from his scheduled start on Sunday after what he said was fatigue in his arm from overdoing it in a bullpen session as he experimented with a new pitch, which he wouldn’t identify.

“I’m not allowed to say what it is,” Skaggs said with a smile. “It’s top-secret stuff.”

In any case, he said he’s going to shelve it for now and get ready for the season by focusing on his main three pitches, a fastball, curve and changeup.

He didn’t seem too concerned with being pushed back a few days. His next start is not determined, but Skaggs said he’s ready to go whenever the staff puts him back out there.

Manager Brad Ausmus said Skaggs had an MRI that came back clean. Skaggs still played catch on Sunday.

“This is more precautionary than for myself and the team to make sure everything is good,” Skaggs said.

Skaggs said he’d been working on this new pitch all winter, but the other day was the first time he tried it in the bullpen with all of the Angels technology there to record it.

“When you work on the pitch-shaping, you really want to go out there and … be as game-like as possible,” he said. “I was throwing it pretty hard.”

If Skaggs can still pitch by Wednesday, he could still be in line to be the opening day starter. He could then pitch on the off day Mar. 18 and then Mar. 23, putting him in line to pitch the March 28 opener at Oakland.

UPBEAT ADELL

Jo Adell returned to the Angels clubhouse in good spirits, but on crutches, on Sunday morning, still awaiting an MRI that would give him more detail about the severity of his injuries.

One of the top prospects in baseball and the Angels’ best prospect since Mike Trout, Adell suffered a strained left hamstring and sprained right ankle while running the bases. He said he felt the hamstring go before he hit second base, and then he hurt his ankle while trying to stop.

“The ankle yesterday was locked up pretty well,” Adell said. “But today I’ve been able to move around a little bit. I can actually even walk on it a little bit like on the toe part. So that feels looser. Hamstring-wise I don’t really know the details yet. But each day hopefully it will get a little bit better.”

Even before the injury, Adell was not likely to impact the major league team until late in the season, or even next season. He is projected to start at Double-A, where he finished last season.

“For me, it’s just a minor setback,” Adell said. “I’m going to be in here every day working trying to get back. The team is great. They’re going to have a plan for me and they already do. I’ll be back before you know it and be ready to roll.”

FIRST CUTS

The Angels sent down pitchers Griffin Canning, José Suarez, Miguel Almonte, Jesus Castillo and Luis Madero as their first round of roster moves this spring.

Canning and Suarez are the Angels’ top two pitching prospects, both expected to contribute to the big league team at some point this season. Suarez pitched only one inning before being slowed by a shoulder problem. Canning, from UCLA and Santa Margarita High, gave up six runs in four innings.

“The thing that stood out was his presence on the mound,” Ausmus said. “He was in a big league atmosphere for the first time and he does not seem to be intimidated at all, which is good.”

ALSO

Justin Bour was scratched from the Angels’ lineup on Sunday with right knee soreness. Bour missed time earlier this spring with a tight hamstring. …

Kaleb Cowart, who is getting a look as a two-way player this spring, faced a few Angels hitters in a workout on Sunday morning. Jahmai Jones, one of the hitters he faced, was impressed. He said Cowart was throwing “firm” and had a slider and a splitter “that kind of disappears. Knowing he’s however many weeks into pitching, not even in full swing yet, is a good sign for him and definitely a good sign for us, knowing we have a guy who can swing and pitch. Outside of the other guy.”…

Shohei Ohtani took another 35 swings of  soft toss on Sunday. He is scheduled to throw again on Monday, for the second time since Tommy John surgery.

View the full article

1 hour ago, AngelsWin.com said:

TEMPE, Ariz. — Tyler Skaggs worked a little too hard on trying to add a pitch to his repertoire.

Skaggs was scratched from his scheduled start on Sunday after what he said was fatigue in his vagina from overdoing it in a bullpen session as he experimented with a new pitch, which he wouldn’t identify.

Fixed.

On 3/10/2019 at 1:29 PM, AngelsWin.com said:

If Skaggs can still pitch by Wednesday, he could still be in line to be the opening day starter. He could then pitch on the off day Mar. 18 and then Mar. 23, putting him in line to pitch the March 28 opener at Oakland.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:51 AM, krAbs said:

Weirdly optimistic take - its spring. Until we see him scratched from a second start, I'll assume that they are telling the truth here. Whats more, I am more than happy with him working on a new pitch above him starting in a spring training game in early March.

Okay, optimism over. This doesn't sound like fatigue thing anymore. Skaggs is probably done for the foreseeable future.