• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

USGA & R&A presser tomorrow re: Anchoring ban

Unless I'm mistaken, they are NOT going to grandfather guys in, correct? That is going to seriously mess with the game. Of the premier guys who anchor - Scott, Simpson, Keegan, Els (who am I forgetting?).... one or more of those guys are going to drop off the face of the Earth.

Vijay... oh you said premier.  He is used to cheating anyway.

They are not grandfathering anyone in.  They are going to put it into effect in 2015 or 2016 I think, giving everyone time to switch away.

Long putters will still be allowed but it will not be allowed to anchor to your body in any way.

ok, someone, anyone, go ahead and explain to me why there is such opposition to an anchored putter. the outcry over this has been worse than casey martin and the golf cart (or at least it feels like it sometimes). i don't get why there is such outrage over this.

ok, someone, anyone, go ahead and explain to me why there is such opposition to an anchored putter. the outcry over this has been worse than casey martin and the golf cart (or at least it feels like it sometimes). i don't get why there is such outrage over this.

I think it is weak to anchor. That said, the young guys particularly have always been able to do it. Making the transition will be incredibly daunting. I don't see everyone being able to putt with the same efficiency. 

There is some crazy stat like 4 of the last 5 or 6 majors have been won by guys using the anchored putter.

Tank, the only reason is the R&A (and USGA) want to keep the rules of golf exactly like they have been for the last 100 years (or whatever the timeframe is).

Science.

You can look it up or even talk to golf heads. When you anchor your putter you are taking out the hands and the club simply swings like a pendelum. It's also why you see it referred to as legalized cheating. With no hands in the putting motion you don't have the chance to open or close your putting swing to push or pull.

Anchored putting is robotic and has no to minimal room for error like regular putting.

Purists claim that you have to swing all 14 clubs in the bag and when you are anchoring you are not swinging.

As AIR mentioned, 4 of the last 6 majors have been won by an anchor putter.

I agree, I think it is lame and takes away from the human element of the game.

Agree. Agree. Agree.

It still sucks that guys have been following the rules to this point and will have to make an insanely HUGE adjustment. It wouldn't surprise me if we never see Keegan Bradley, Adam Scott or Webb Simpson win again after the change takes place. That would suck.

Hopefully they can make the transition.

useful answers, everyone. thanks.

after posting the question i gave it a little more thought and was figuring that there was something to the idea of not swinging with your own hands and thereby removing one of the elements of human skill from the game. 

while in this same vein of thought, i'd like to see them eliminate the practice of having a caddy tell his guy if the putter is aimed the right way. you're a pro - aim it yourself.

Agree. Agree. Agree.

It still sucks that guys have been following the rules to this point and will have to make an insanely HUGE adjustment. It wouldn't surprise me if we never see Keegan Bradley, Adam Scott or Webb Simpson win again after the change takes place. That would suck.

Hopefully they can make the transition.

I'm in this camp too. Some of these dudes simply grew up playing like this and I feel for them. It's also why I'm kind of indifferent on the topic. But, I do see where there are so many kids coming up only learning or using an anchored putter because of the edge. I think this is mainly what they are going after, it's just that these guys on tour now will be casualties. I hope they can make the adjustment, all are really good guys and good for golf. I'd hate to see them just disappear like David Duval.

I like the change, those putters are an unfair advantage. Everyone should have to compete on a level playing field, and putting is one of the most crucial areas of the game.

I've tried both and can say its much much easier to get your tempo almost perfect and you pretty much never mishit

The PGA TOUR has not backed it yet. 

http://www.pgatour.com/news/2013/05/21/statement-pga-tour-on-adoption-of-rule-14-1b.html

The TOUR will have to collapse on that subject because the British will follow the R&A's lead and not allow people to play it at The Open and the USGA will not allow players to use it at the US Open.  The Masters has a lot of USGA people at their tourney so they will not allow it either.  There is no way that the TOUR separates itself from the three biggest tourneys and lets players use it at their own events throughout the year.  I would imagine the PGA will follow suit and ban it at the Championship too. They already are the lesser of the four majors, they will follow the three big tourneys.  The TOUR will look like complete idiots if they go against the the Four majors, R&A, USGA, and the PGA.

That hesitancy to announce the ban by the TOUR has to be a total PC move by Finchem trying to show the players that he really feels sorry for them.  He will then probably do a survey or say that they majority of the players on the Tour are in favor of the ban....blah, blah, blah

Got an email from USGA today... The ban/rule change will go into effect in 2016.

I've practiced with the belly-putter, and found it as difficult to adjust to as these Pros might find it going back to traditional putting.  On the golf course I putt as much as possible around and off the greens, so it's almost half of my game.  The Pros practice and play SO much that it shouldn't affect their game too much.  It might take some time for them to get comfortable, but I don't expect them to drop-off their games much.

I disagree, I honestly see Adam Scott going back to the middle of the pack and rarely ever competing again. 

Completely agree. There is a reason these guys anchor. It is because they're much better anchoring than not. Sucks for those guys. It really does. I feel like the belly guys will have a better shot at making the transition than the guys using the boat oars 

Nate.

It is just a regular putter, but you know... He's not tall

Lol... dick.

In reality, I got a new putter fairly recently and the shaft is 34 inches which is a couple inches longer than the old one... and I usually choke up on it a bit lol.

I have never written a sentence with so much innuendo in my life.