• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Strange times, so many good teams looking to dump?

floplag

There just aren't a lot of buyers out there.  Not 30 like there were in the past.  Now there's Houston and the Angels (Oakland can't afford to buy), Cleveland isn't buy or selling, they're in a holding pattern because there's no one challenging them.  Minnesota is buying as I understand.  Chicago isn't yet.  The Red Sox and Yankees are buying, the Rays can't afford to.  The Phillies, Braves and Nats are buying.  The Cards and Cubs are buying.  The Dodgers and Padres are buying.  

That's it. 

12 teams are buying. 

I mean sports team are businesses, if they aren't making money then they are bad at business. My guess is that most owners aren't finding value in ballooning payrolls while staying home in October where additional revenue isn't being made. Seems as though the same 6 teams are in contention every year with a couple new teams sprinkled in.

I think teams are going to be a little more proactive at turning over their expiring assets regardless of where they were in the standings the previous years.  Especially when those assets still have value and are on the wrong side of 30.  

It could just be market forces as well in that the NL has some parity and there are several young teams that are going to try to open a window soon.   

On top of that, I think a lot of teams are much more confident in their player evaluations due to advanced metrics so there is less (abeit still a fair amount) in turning over someone like Kluber who is entering his age 33 season with some control left but he's showing subtle signs that he's not the juggernaut he used to be.  If you could get Forrest Whitley and Kyle Tucker/Yordan Alvarez, that could be hard to pass on.  

I agree that other teams are seeing what it's going to take to beat the top tier teams.  

Cleveland probably also sees that their path to the division title probably doesn't become that much more difficult without Kluber although not sure that's the right approach imo.  

1 hour ago, floplag said:

It kinda feels that way doesnt it?  I mean Cle of all places?   Ari was was right there too in the NL.  

Cleveland has to prepare for large contracts to Lindor and Ramirez. Their farm system is not great so they may look to trade Kluber or Bauer for a haul. They have 2 quality catchers so they xan trade one. It won’t be as hard to rebuild when you have Lindor and Ramirez to build around. 

Boston finished below .500 in 2014 and 2015 while Houston was under .500 in 2014.  They both filled out their rosters with FA and trades but also have younger players they developed or acquired when they were still unproven.  I think teams realize their window is only so big and then they face the reality of going all in to chase the ring or start retooling.  If you go all in once the dust settles you're committing to at least a 3-5 year rebuild and in some cases it could take longer.  At least one article I read said Cleveland doesn't have any intentions of trading Lindor, Ramirez or Bauer.  For the right price I'm sure one of them can be had but building around guys like those gives Cleveland a chance to retool if they don't think their current group will get it done.

22 minutes ago, TroutTrumbo said:

Cleveland has to prepare for large contracts to Lindor and Ramirez. Their farm system is not great so they may look to trade Kluber or Bauer for a haul. They have 2 quality catchers so they xan trade one. It won’t be as hard to rebuild when you have Lindor and Ramirez to build around. 

True, but in the process losing some quality too.

12 minutes ago, floplag said:

True, but in the process losing some quality too.

most likely but it depends on when you pull the trigger.  maybe Kluber's age catches up with him next year and a throws 180 innings to a 4.00 era.  That's a lot more replaceable.  It's a huge risk though considering their proximity to the playoffs.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

most likely but it depends on when you pull the trigger.  maybe Kluber's age catches up with him next year and a throws 180 innings to a 4.00 era.  That's a lot more replaceable.  It's a huge risk though considering their proximity to the playoffs.  

If Cleveland is selling Kluber, I'm not buying.  I doubt they'd sell unless they thought his bets days were behind him.  He's getting to that age where pitchers fall off the proverbial cliff. 

6 hours ago, floplag said:

In the last couple days ive heard that Cle, Ari, and more are now looking to dump salary or rebuild.
This cant be good for the game that teams in the post or nearly in the post are suddenly saying screw it. 

There is no way in hell Cleveland is rebuilding. Wherever you read that is full of horseshit.

Arizona on the other hand....

51 minutes ago, floplag said:

They are not rebuilding. Will they try to move large salaries off their roster? Yes. But they are not rebuilding, they have to fantastic of a core. Literally their entire rotation is the envy of every team in MLB.

So Encarnacion, Kipnis, maybe one of Bauer or more remotely Kluber might be pushed in trade talks. The rest stay.

If they can unload one of the first two they will be perfectly fine in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, ettin said:

They are not rebuilding. Will they try to move large salaries off their roster? Yes. But they are not rebuilding, they have to fantastic of a core. Literally their entire rotation is the envy of every team in MLB.

So Encarnacion, Kipnis, maybe one of Bauer or more remotely Kluber might be pushed in trade talks. The rest stay.

If they can unload one of the first two they will be perfectly fine in my opinion.

I said dump or rebuild.  

14 hours ago, NJHalo said:

WFAN was discussing the possibility of the Yankees signing/trading for 4 starting pitchers! They have the money, and were embarrassed by the Red Sox. 

Kluber, Keuchel, Corbin, and Paxton. 

A Yankee move would be trade Judge for Kluber and pick up Harper to shut the fans up about losing their court. After all, it's only money.