• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will the Angels try for a 6-man rotation again?

Second Base

This concept caused quite the stir last offseason, and it didn't come to fruition given the sheer amount of injury the Angels rotation sustained. So I suppose the precursor to a 6-man rotation would be dependent upon having six healthy, capable starters, 

Eppler really seemed on board with it, how the extra rest would be really beneficial and so forth. 

I wonder if the Angels will try for it again.

2 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

This concept caused quite the stir last offseason, and it didn't come to fruition given the sheer amount of injury the Angels rotation sustained. So I suppose the precursor to a 6-man rotation would be dependent upon having six healthy, capable starters, 

Eppler really seemed on board with it, how the extra rest would be really beneficial and so forth. 

I wonder if the Angels will try for it again.

I think it's hard enough to find 5 quality starters, (better than 50% chance of winning), let alone 6. Since the main reason for the 6 man rotation was to accommodate Ohtani, I think we should stick with a 5 man rotation. IMO

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

The Angels starting pitchers were good for 29th in the majors in innings pitched, behind only the Rays who would have finished ahead of the Angels if they didn't start relief pitchers for the first inning before bringing in what would have been their regular starting pitcher. The Angels starters average just under 5 innings per start. We never really carried 6 starting pitchers for an extended period of time, but I think we're better off having an extra arm in the pen considering they have to pitch an average of 4 innings everyday. We need a Yusmeiro Petit type in the pen or two. I guess Noe Ramirez kind of filled that role last season, but not quite as good.

If the Angels are content with having a 3 man bench, I rather them carry 8 RP/5 SP rather that 7 RP/6 SP. 

23 minutes ago, vladdy#27 said:

28th behind the Rays and A's. A's starters had 2 less innings pitched than us in the second half. But the A's started copying the Rays. Liam Hendriks started 8 games for the A's in September, 7 of those he went 1 inning and the other he went 1.2.

thanks.

do you have a link for those stats? I couldn't find them in my albeit limited search. 

5 man rotation in 2019.

When Ohtani comes back the following year, basically a five man rotation with one "swingman" ready to make a spot start here and there to help best facilitate the right schedule for Ohtani.

Roughly 4 guys get the normal 32 starts, Ohtani gets like 26 or 27 starts and the swingman picks up the extra 7 or 8.

A six-man rotation doesn’t really mean “six starters pitching in order.” It means, “when possible, we’d like our starters to pitch on five days rest instead of four.”

Eppler said specifically they’d still like to do that sometimes, strategically. 

Whether you want to call that a “six-man rotation” or not is a matter of semantics.

This is a good time repeat what I said many times when the subject of a 6 man rotation came up. . .

I dont believe for a secomd the Angels will have an actual 6 man rotation regardless of the number of times Eppler or Scioscia mention that phrase.  "I will believe it when I see it."

And I was mocked.  Now Fletcher explains it just as i did, and it instantly gets multiple likes.

Vindicated.

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

This is a good time repeat what I said many times when the subject of a 6 man rotation came up. . .

I dont believe for a secomd the Angels will have an actual 6 man rotation regardless of the number of times Eppler or Scioscia mention that phrase.  "I will believe it when I see it."

And I was mocked.  Now Fletcher explains it just as i did, and it instantly gets multiple likes.

Vindicated.

Two. It has Two likes as of the time you commented. I just gave you a like for pointing it out, so you are half way to true vindication.

5 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Vindicated

NO, you're not. Last season the Angels pitched Ohtani on Sundays and made rotation adjustments to make that happen all the way up until injuries prevented then from providing a 6 man rotation. Had the season progressed without starters dropping like flies, including Ohtani, the Angels would have kept with their plan. 

Plan/injuries/attrition/Ohtani DL does not validate your whinny ass statement last off season, mule. 

I think if they feel they have 6 healthy starter that can pitch at that level they will, why not.  
Considering the MASH unit weve put out there the last couple years i dont expect it anytime soon especially with Ohtani on the shelf for 19 but well see.
At this point does it even matter when bullpen games have become en vogue, even in the post, lol.  

20 minutes ago, Blarg said:

NO, you're not. Last season the Angels pitched Ohtani on Sundays and made rotation adjustments to make that happen all the way up until injuries prevented then from providing a 6 man rotation. Had the season progressed without starters dropping like flies, including Ohtani, the Angels would have kept with their plan. 

Plan/injuries/attrition/Ohtani DL does not validate your whinny ass statement last off season, mule. 

Blarg the irrelevant sniper.

7 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

You fantasy is I was wrong when I was 100% correct.

But keep shooting sniper, you miss more than you hit.  But either way you are reliable irrelevant. 

Dude, this whole argument started last off season when you said no team will ever have a 6 man rotation when there already was. You started off wrong, stomping your feet acting like a child, you were wrong about the Angels plan that was outlined by the GM and Scioscia, not some opinionated blogger for fangraphs. And you are still wrong but again, fingers in your ears, going, nah, nah, nah, I'm right as always.

Keep telling yourself you are right but no one else is buying your story. You might as well go back to arguing about the Angels debt ratio and how they should go well over the luxuary tax because you want Machado. 

41 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Vindicated.

Image result for pat yourself on the back meme

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Dude, this whole argument started last off season when you said no team will ever have a 6 man rotation when there already was. You started off wrong, stomping your feet acting like a child, you were wrong about the Angels plan that was outlined by the GM and Scioscia, not some opinionated blogger for fangraphs. And you are still wrong but again, fingers in your ears, going, nah, nah, nah, I'm right as always.

Keep telling yourself you are right but no one else is buying your story. You might as well go back to arguing about the Angels debt ratio and how they should go well over the luxuary tax because you want Machado. 

Can you bother to have one sentence, just one, that is factually correct?

Sniper firing recklessly.

Right now, unless there is a signing or a trade, candidates for the rotation are:

Tyler Skaggs - Was All-Star level prior to Abductor injury and still finished with 24 GS, 125 IP.  He'd benefit from the 5 day rest.

Andrew Heaney - Finished 30 GS, 180 IP, 1 Shut Out.  He pitched his most innings ever a season removed from TMJ surgery. He'll likely be counted on to be a fixture and could see his rest vary between 4 and 5 days.

Jaime Barria - They intentionally limited his innings and he still finished with 147.1 IP, his most ever (pitched 141 IP in 2017) in 31 GS between AAA and MLB.  With the TMJ surgery near epidemic proportions, expect them to limit the 22 year old to under 100 pitches and as much days rest as reasonable.

Felix Pena - I know some are considering him as more a potential BP long-man but the guy has proved his worth as, apart from two starts against SEA and OAK that accounted for 13 ER in 4.1 IP, the guy was among our steadiest starters.  He worked 125 IP between AAA and MLB, his 2nd most in his career and his most since 2015, so I can see them limiting his innings.

Matt Shoemaker - Injury shortened 2018 after the initial surgery in 2017 failed to detect the true forearm issue.  Now apparently healthy, he's still only pitched a combined 115.2 IP the last two seasons so his endurance will be helped by the extra rest.

Nick Tropeano - Tropeano's post-TMJ recovery seemed to follow a similar trajectory to Heaney - some nice starts but mostly a lot of HRs and shoulder inflammation.  He'll also benefit from the extended rest.

Also, Griffin Canning and Jose Suarez will be in the mix for starts at the MLB level and both, due to age and workload, will likely be given the Barria treatment.

Even with Ohtani on the shelf, a so-called "6-man rotation" seems likely.