• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fly Fishing

I have tried many times to to like fly fishing but it just eludes me. I have fished using bait an lures since I was about 6 years old and about 20 years ago my father started fly fishing and my oldest brother latched on to it.

He also does river floats. One of his favorite is the San Juan River and uses little specs of flies you wouldn't think would even be visible to the fish. He also ties all his own and has a wide collection to cover the hatch of the various places he fishes.

Like I said, I've tried to like it. For my 50th birthday my father bought me a beautiful 3 piece traveling pole with a very nice reel. I've used it on multiple occasions, even caught trout with it but the cast is always more difficult for me to manage. I'm like the Blash of fly fishermen, too many moving parts and the line is often just tailing back when I jerk it back, snapping off the fly. That's when you know you suck at this, when your cast whips the end like a locker room towel fights and makes that crack sound.

BTW I was born in Bozeman and it is that mid to Eastern part of Montana I've never fished. Spent most of my summers on the west side on the Bitterroot, Missouri, Blackfoot, Big Hole, Gallatin and Jefferson rivers and the streams around there.

I haven't gone out in over 7 years. Looks like I need to dust off the gear, oil some gears, thread up some new line and try it again. That and practice dropping some nymphs in the pool without hooking the fence or dogs. OK, maybe practice without hooks, safer for everyone.

11 minutes ago, red321 said:

Something I want to do more of. Tried a few years ago up along Bishop Creek...spent more time getting my fly out of the bushes behind me than fishing, but it is on my list of shit to do when you get older list.

The casting technique is nothing like baitcasting which I can pinpoint the hook and sinker to just about anywhere within 10 yards. Casting from under trees to spots under overhanging tree branches with just a wrist flick.

But fly fishing is different and, like you, I've spent almost as much time untangling the line from nearby foliage as I have spent with the fly on water. My brother has it down to pure artistry and rarely hangs a fly up. Every movement is smooth and looks effortless. 

But that is sometimes the easier part. Controlling the fly on or under the water requires skill and if you ever hook up to a good sized fish you are not using the reel to bring it in. It's a hell of a lot more challenging to bring one ashore or net. 

Then there is the frustration of having the right spot at the right time of a hatch and having the wrong nymph on the line. It's like offering a piece of tofurky at a Brazilian BBQ. Not going to get many takers. 

7 hours ago, Blarg said:

I have tried many times to to like fly fishing but it just eludes me. I have fished using bait an lures since I was about 6 years old and about 20 years ago my father started fly fishing and my oldest brother latched on to it.

He also does river floats. One of his favorite is the San Juan River and uses little specs of flies you wouldn't think would even be visible to the fish. He also ties all his own and has a wide collection to cover the hatch of the various places he fishes.

Like I said, I've tried to like it. For my 50th birthday my father bought me a beautiful 3 piece traveling pole with a very nice reel. I've used it on multiple occasions, even caught trout with it but the cast is always more difficult for me to manage. I'm like the Blash of fly fishermen, too many moving parts and the line is often just tailing back when I jerk it back, snapping off the fly. That's when you know you suck at this, when your cast whips the end like a locker room towel fights and makes that crack sound.

BTW I was born in Bozeman and it is that mid to Eastern part of Montana I've never fished. Spent most of my summers on the west side on the Bitterroot, Missouri, Blackfoot, Big Hole, Gallatin and Jefferson rivers and the streams around there.

I haven't gone out in over 7 years. Looks like I need to dust off the gear, oil some gears, thread up some new line and try it again. That and practice dropping some nymphs in the pool without hooking the fence or dogs. OK, maybe practice without hooks, safer for everyone.

You aren't missing much.

11 hours ago, Blarg said:

We went floating which is the first time I've done that.  So you've got to manage your casting relative to others in the boat as well.  

I feel like if you have a good guide, they'll really help get your basic technique down.  dry fly casting is tough.  using an indicator makes it much easier. 

5 hours ago, Blarg said:

The casting technique is nothing like baitcasting which I can pinpoint the hook and sinker to just about anywhere within 10 yards. Casting from under trees to spots under overhanging tree branches with just a wrist flick.

But fly fishing is different and, like you, I've spent almost as much time untangling the line from nearby foliage as I have spent with the fly on water. My brother has it down to pure artistry and rarely hangs a fly up. Every movement is smooth and looks effortless. 

But that is sometimes the easier part. Controlling the fly on or under the water requires skill and if you ever hook up to a good sized fish you are not using the reel to bring it in. It's a hell of a lot more challenging to bring one ashore or net. 

Then there is the frustration of having the right spot at the right time of a hatch and having the wrong nymph on the line. It's like offering a piece of tofurky at a Brazilian BBQ. Not going to get many takers. 

You should stop fly fishing by trees and shrubs.

youre welcome.

?

On 7/22/2018 at 8:35 PM, Dochalo said:

just got back from Bozeman doing floats on the yellowstone (river).  So freakin' awesome.  

going to Oregon in August.  

been doing it off and on for about 20 years now but getting more into it lately.  

Experiences?  thoughts?  

Never have. But Bozeman is awesome. That whole area is a gem if youre a city kid.

I am primarily a bass fisherman. 

Not many places in So. Cal t go fly fishing.  Took a lesson once, but I would rather just catch and release bass.  Then again - any fishing is basically fun.

I hate our lakes though.  You can't just drive up to one and go fishing.  Every lake is heavily regulated. Fee's, only open certain hours or certain times of the year, no bodily contact for some, and on and on... Plus our lakes are small and crowded.

I still go though - "the tug, is the drug."

On 7/22/2018 at 10:35 PM, Dochalo said:

just got back from Bozeman doing floats on the yellowstone (river).  So freakin' awesome.  

going to Oregon in August.  

been doing it off and on for about 20 years now but getting more into it lately.  

Experiences?  thoughts?  

Absolutely love it.  I fly fish for brown trout and northern pike when the weather permits.

6 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

Bozeman is my favorite town in Mt.  It is simply beautiful and there is a lot to do.  It also isn't far from Billings if you need to travel.  

Im not super familiar with the area. I went a few years back and road tripped yellowstone. One of the coolest trips ive ever taken.

We flew in to bozeman and left from there. The last night or whatever we stayed in Bozeman, and my buddy and I (city kids) were both pretty suprised/impressed. Started talking about how cool it would be to retire there someday. 

Id seriously consider it, but id probably be a lost idiot and die when the snow comes.

I've been fly fishing for about 4 years now. I'm not any good but it is really fun. My usual places are North Lake, Bishop Creek, the Upper Owens River and I've recently discovered the Virginia Lakes near Bridgeport. I think I want to try a Tenkara style set up for the small creeks. That would help folks like myself and @red321 with the bushes :) 

On 7/23/2018 at 6:56 PM, Dochalo said:

We went floating which is the first time I've done that.  So you've got to manage your casting relative to others in the boat as well.  

I feel like if you have a good guide, they'll really help get your basic technique down.  dry fly casting is tough.  using an indicator makes it much easier. 

I've had very little success with dry flies. What has worked for me is a dry dropper setup. You tie a leader to the dry fly and then tie a nymph to that. I'll usually get the strike on the nymph. 

6 hours ago, Jason said:

I've been fly fishing for about 4 years now. I'm not any good but it is really fun. My usual places are North Lake, Bishop Creek, the Upper Owens River and I've recently discovered the Virginia Lakes near Bridgeport. I think I want to try a Tenkara style set up for the small creeks. That would help folks like myself and @red321 with the bushes :) 

My wife bought me one of those! Haven’t had the chance to use it. We might head up there in a month or so of schedule permits. 

Virginia Lakes is gorgeous....if you take the trail behind the cabins the lakes above Virginia are spectacular.  

1 hour ago, red321 said:

My wife bought me one of those! Haven’t had the chance to use it. We might head up there in a month or so of schedule permits. 

Virginia Lakes is gorgeous....if you take the trail behind the cabins the lakes above Virginia are spectacular.  

I’m going to check those lakes out. The family makes a yearly trip in October. Very beautiful fall colors and little fishing pressure. Just got to look out for the photographers in the streets. 

55 minutes ago, Jason said:

I’m going to check those lakes out. The family makes a yearly trip in October. Very beautiful fall colors and little fishing pressure. Just got to look out for the photographers in the streets. 

Yeah, those damn photographers are assholes. 

If your fit enough, from south lake at the end of bishop creek road southern section you can take a trail back towards bishop pass. One spectacular lake after another. Long lake looks great for fishing and there are some others on a spur trail. Chocolate lakes I think. Parsons lodge is a great place to grab a bite to eat or get a cabin.