• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brandon Marsh exits game in 2nd inning UPDATE: jammed finger

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

i do, do you realize we arent making trades to help this club today and keeping them all, right? 

We haven’t made a trade yet.  This season.   It’s still sort of early to be really concerned about them not making any trades.  I thInk anyway. Would I have been happy to see something now ? Sure. 

Also, the Angels really don’t have that many good, high end prospects.  They need to be really cautious about trading top 25 guys. I’m not saying don’t do it period.  But if they’re going to make trades it needs to be for a player that helps the team going forward.  We’re going to overpay.  Keep that in mind also.  Angels playoffs chances are still less then 15% today.  And the “playoffs” we’re talking about is the one game wild card playoff. 

I’m not sure why you dont want them to be  more on the cautious side here.  It’s appropriate.

11 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

You know you've lost it when you see someone running around the bases wearing an over mitt. 

Trout slides head first.  I say make the oven mitt 6 inches longer to get under tags.  That is a half foot longer lead at first and an extra half foot at the slide at second.

9 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

We haven’t made a trade yet.  This season.   It’s still sort of early to be really concerned about them not making any trades.  I thInk anyway. Would I have been happy to see something now ? Sure. 

Also, the Angels really don’t have that many good, high end prospects.  They need to be really cautious about trading top 25 guys. I’m not saying don’t do it period.  But if they’re going to make trades it needs to be for a player that helps the team going forward.  We’re going to overpay.  Keep that in mind also.  Angels playoffs chances are still less then 15% today.  And the “playoffs” we’re talking about is the one game wild card playoff. 

I’m not sure why you dont want them to be  more on the cautious side here.  It’s appropriate.

is it too early?  waiting a month with this bullpen might make it irrelevant.  There is nothing that says you have to wait till July 31. 
I agree, we arent as flush as some think we are, but then ive never been one to hoard prospects.  9 out of 10 never become more than average ML players at best. Most are highly over rated. 

It isnt about not being cautious, though im glad you asked that.  Cautious is good, cautious is wise, but cautious also often means you wait too long and someone else gets the girl you were going to ask to dance.  There is nothing wrong with a little aggression when the situation warrants it, and in this case, with this bullpen, if anything ever did warrant a little aggression, its now.  Let me put it another way, over the next 5-6 weeks between now and the end of July, how many more games could this bullpen cost us? 

I dont want to throw away the future, ive never suggested anything of the sort, but we will have to give up something to get something of value, thats simply the way it works regardless of the date on the calendar.   We have a couple of spots on the farm that have some depth, we can deal from that without significantly hurting the future.  No, i dont like rentals, but im also not opposed to them if the cost is right and that means not dealing a top 10 guy for a moderate upgrade. 

Why do people go to extremes?  wanting them to do something doesn't mean selling off the top guys for something barely better than what we have, it means legit upgrade. 

10 minutes ago, floplag said:

is it too early?  waiting a month with this bullpen might make it irrelevant.  There is nothing that says you have to wait till July 31. 
I agree, we arent as flush as some think we are, but then ive never been one to hoard prospects.  9 out of 10 never become more than average ML players at best. Most are highly over rated. 

It isnt about not being cautious, though im glad you asked that.  Cautious is good, cautious is wise, but cautious also often means you wait too long and someone else gets the girl you were going to ask to dance.  There is nothing wrong with a little aggression when the situation warrants it, and in this case, with this bullpen, if anything ever did warrant a little aggression, its now.  Let me put it another way, over the next 5-6 weeks between now and the end of July, how many more games could this bullpen cost us? 

I dont want to throw away the future, ive never suggested anything of the sort, but we will have to give up something to get something of value, thats simply the way it works regardless of the date on the calendar.   We have a couple of spots on the farm that have some depth, we can deal from that without significantly hurting the future.  No, i dont like rentals, but im also not opposed to them if the cost is right and that means not dealing a top 10 guy for a moderate upgrade. 

Why do people go to extremes?  wanting them to do something doesn't mean selling off the top guys for something barely better than what we have, it means legit upgrade. 

If it’s trading a lower end guy for a player that we’ll keep around through the end of the summer that’s fine.  I’m just not sure that’s what’s really out there right now.  Maybe once the trade market shakes out a bit more.  Right now we’re still competeing  with pretty much every team.  Which means asks are sky high.  I agree that there’s considerable risk in not trading when you have a strong team that can possibly do some damage in the post season.  But I also don’t think we’re exaxtly that.  When you look at the league, when you consider all the injuries and problem areas the team has on the roster.  It’s hard to realistically be optimistic about playing Houston, Boston, or NY.  I agree that we should compete with Seattle.  But really what’s the point in aggressively trading just so you can get into the mix for the wild card game ? It doesn’t make sense to me.  The Angels still have work to do in order get better.  We shouldn’t give up on this year.  I don’t think the front office has.  But like I’ve posted on here recently.  They need to approach this deadline as an opportunity to improve the team going forward.  It should be less about short term improvement to chase  the wild card this season. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

If it’s trading Marsh then you simply don’t do that for a rental.  I’ll take a cost controlled average major leaguer over 3 months of a relief pitcher.   Now if we were in the same position Boston or New York is, where they are all but guaranteed a playoff spot, and they are within striking distance of the division and upgrading the pen would help, sure be aggressive.   But with this team, being aggressive is a horrible idea.   

3 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

If it’s trading a lower end guy for a player that we’ll keep around through the end of the summer that’s fine.  I’m just not sure that’s what’s really out there right now.  Maybe once the trade market shakes out a bit more.  Right now we’re still competeing  with pretty much every team.  Which means asks are sky high.  I agree that there’s considerable risk in not trading when you have a strong team that can possibly do some damage in the post season.  But I also don’t think we’re exaxtly that.  When you look at the league, when you consider all the injuries and problem areas the team has on the roster.  It’s hard to realistically be optimistic about playing Houston, Boston, or NY.  I agree that we should compete with Seattle.  But really what’s the point in aggressively trading just so you can get into the mix for the wild card game ? It doesn’t make sense to me.  The Angels still have work to do in order get better.  We shouldn’t give up on this year.  I don’t think the front office has.  But like I’ve posted on here recently.  They need to approach this deadline as an opportunity to improve the team going forward.  It should be less about short term improvement to chase  the wild card this season. 

Hardly any trade is ever perfect, usually someone gets the better of it.  Most think the Nats got the better of the Royals in the Herrera deal, but only time will tell on that.  
The issue with us IS time though.  We have a much greater sense of urgency than some others based on one simple fact, IF we wait, we do more damage.  This isnt a minor upgrade, its a necessity.  The pen cannot be left as it is without likely doing more damage than it has already done.  Waiting 4-6 more weeks will likely take us out of the race, its simply to long to let continue.
As for who or what we are competing with, does it matter really?  The playoffs are a crapshoot, often dictated by the hot hand at the time and we all know full well that a wildcard can win it all.  But one thing is absolutely certain, if you dont at least get there, you have no chance at all. It doesnt matter if its one game wildcard or the division champ, you have to qualify in some form to have any chance at all.
And i dont think we have to choose between short/long term, we can have both in the right situation, look at the Upton deal.  It isnt necessarily either/or.  
I would never suggest trading a top guy for a pure rental, if it was the last piece and made us a title contender, maybe, but under any other circumstance, no.  and thats not what ive ever suggested here. 
I do believe Hou is the class of the division and probably the AL.  I also believe Sea will fall back and that we still have a shot.  I do not believe that shot will be realized if we wait 6 weeks.   Its really that simple for me

5 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

If it’s trading Marsh then you simply don’t do that for a rental.  I’ll take a cost controlled average major leaguer over 3 months of a relief pitcher.   Now if we were in the same position Boston or New York is, where they are all but guaranteed a playoff spot, and they are within striking distance of the division and upgrading the pen would help, sure be aggressive.   But with this team, being aggressive is a horrible idea.   

If it were only that simple.

It is a little early in the year for the minor leaguer left early alerts isn't it?

Also, I feel like there is too much needed to get the Angels into the playoffs.  Not just because of the boat load of injuries they have suffered, but because of how well Boston/NY/Seattle/Houston are playing it will be tough to leapfrog into the wildcard.

2 minutes ago, nate said:

It is a little early in the year for the minor leaguer left early alerts isn't it?

Also, I feel like there is too much needed to get the Angels into the playoffs.  Not just because of the boat load of injuries they have suffered, but because of how well Boston/NY/Seattle/Houston are playing it will be tough to leapfrog into the wildcard.

I kinda agree, but I still think Seattle comes back to the pack.  

Thats why I would rather they only trade for guys that would be here beyond this season.   

Just now, The Boogie Man said:

I kinda agree, but I still think Seattle comes back to the pack.  

Thats why I would rather they only trade for guys that would be here beyond this season.   

Definitely no rentals.

I hope Seattle falls apart, I keep expecting it.

I agree fully with 2 things;

#1 Sea will fall back
#2 we need to take advantage.

This is precisely why i think waiting is a bad idea specifically as it pertain to the pen. 

We haven't been able to do so with this bullpen to date, how will waiting another month change that?  How could we possibly take advantage of anything with a 50/50 shot at a blown save?  If the pan saved even half the games it lost we are already in the race, how does waiting help us? How does it do anything other than seal the fate of 2018 season?

Its 5+ weeks to the deadline, its the difference between saving the season, and conceding it in my opinion.