• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Offense vs. Defense Question

16 minutes ago, Torridd said:

Would you want a player that had to play the field (for whatever reason) who would make an error 40% of the time, but was guaranteed to hit .350? 

No, I don’t think so.  He would have to be a right fielder, and I have zero idea how many times a ball is hit to right field a game, but you would have to assume that is two errors a game if the ball goes to right 5 times a night.  All for a guy that will get on base 50 more times a season over a .250 season.  So 320 extra bases (minimum) for the opponent for 50 more times on base for the offense.  No chance.

Just now, hangin n wangin said:

As great as hitting .350 is, making an error in the field 40% of the time is a facking catastrophe.

We all hated Upton defensively earlier this year and I doubt he has been charged with 3 errors.  You would have to assume if you are that bad defensively then you will misplay balls that aren’t considered errors as well.  

1 hour ago, The Boogie Man said:

We all hated Upton defensively earlier this year and I doubt he has been charged with 3 errors.  You would have to assume if you are that bad defensively then you will misplay balls that aren’t considered errors as well.  

Somehow he has an DRS of 1....    Even better he leads LFers in OOZ (plays outside his zone).   But then just for shits and giggles he's among the absolute worst when it comes to FG's Def stat at 2.7.

The metrics are ALL over the place on him.   Check this crap out https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=lf&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=50&type=1&season=2018&month=0&season1=2018&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=10,d

Some of this has to be the way teams employing the shift are impacting defensive metrics...  

Edited by Inside Pitch