• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yankees put outfielder Jake Cave put on waivers

Chuck

Yankees designated OF Jake Cave for assignment.

The move clears a spot on the 40-man roster for Neil Walker. Cave batted a robust .305/.351/.542 with 20 homers over 103 games this season between Double- and Triple-A last season and could draw interest on waivers.

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

Cave would probably slot behind Hermosillo on the depth chart. Cave's a better hitter but Herm is more disciplined, faster, more power and a better defender.

Cave hit 20 dongs this past season in just 100 games,  so he's got the power on Herm right now.

20 hours ago, greginpsca said:

They got rid of Jenks mostly for his personal behavior.

Except they didn't. 

Jenks had missed most of the previous season due to injury (and an unreported stint in rehab/AA), which led to his having only pitched late in the year.  The Angels had hoped teams would be scared off by the injury risk and possibly the concerns about behavior so, they exposed him to waivers.   Jack Uhey (the scout that signed him) himself told me what they were thinking and Preston Gomez later told me how upset they were that he had been taken -- at the same time they weren't really surprised given one of the guys who had been in on the scouting process had moved on to the CWS...

Pretty much everyone on the scouting side in the organization was super high on Jenks and were pretty shocked to see him exposed.

14 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Cave hit 20 dongs this past season in just 100 games,  so he's got the power on Herm right now.

Yeah the 20 HR's from last year were surprising. I didn't think he had it in him. Perhaps he built more muscle, or had more uppercut swings or adopted a more all-or-nothing approach.

Well I'll say this....Eppler knows that system better than anyone in baseball. If he doesn't put a claim in on cave, or attempt to trade for him, then I think that would tell us quite a bit about Cave.

I trust Eppler when it comes to prospect evaluation. He's traded ones at their high value point (the Simmons trade), he's chosen not to trade others who have since become much more valuable (Barria, Hermosillo), he's traded for others who ended up doing really well (Alex Meyer before injury), he signed upside international guys when given the opportunity (Maitan, Deveaux) he's drafted very well (pretty much all of them). 

And I think most importantly, he's built the farm up. He hasn't treated it as a means to an end in acquiring minimal MLB talent like his predecessor (Yency Almonte for Gordon Beckham. Michael Clevinger for Vinnie Pestano....Dipoto was a freakin idiot).

12 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Except they didn't. 

Jenks had missed most of the previous season due to injury (and and unreported stint in rehab/AA), which led to his having only pitched late in the year.  The Angels had hoped teams would be scared off by the injury risk and possibly the concerns about behavior so, they exposed him to waivers.   Jack Uhey (the scout that signed him) himself told me what they were thinking and Preston Gomez later told me how upset they were that he had been taken -- at the same time they weren't really surprised given one of the guys who had been in on the scouting process had moved on to the CWS...

Pretty much everyone on the scouting side in the organization was super high on Jenks and were pretty shocked to see him exposed.

Wait - I thought you could pull a guy off waivers once he's claimed if you really don't want to let him go. Why didn't they do that with Jenks if they were that upset?

2 hours ago, Pablo said:

Wait - I thought you could pull a guy off waivers once he's claimed if you really don't want to let him go. Why didn't they do that with Jenks if they were that upset?

They were trying to sneak him off the 40 man...  They had more talent than they did spots on the roster...  The scouting department had no power over who Stoneman chose to keep on the 40 man....  He gambled and lost.

10 hours ago, stormngt said:

Could the Yanks use Perez or Marte?  We need to trade them anyway.

They are moving Cave to clear a 40 man spot so probably not. Probably would want a minor leaguer that wouldn’t have to be on the 40 man...