• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels "would consider free-agent closer Greg Holland at the right price."

Capital_Dave

Meanwhile, the Angels aren't looking seriously at free-agent starting pitchers, but they would consider free-agent closer Greg Holland at the right price.  Holland, 32, is coming off a season in which he reestablished himself as an All-Star closer and led the National League with 41 saves. Blake Parker, who has 10 career saves in the Major Leagues, currently projects to be the Halos' closer.

Think we can get him for 1 year, $15M?

https://www.mlb.com/news/interest-remains-high-for-arrieta-lynn-cobb/c-267182632

If we're looking at his overall cost, let's just pretend for a moment Holland costs 3/30.

His presence also effectively removes Luke Bard, Noe Ramirez or Blake Wood from the roster, all of which looked great in the minors and project well in the majors.

And then of course there's the second round pick. 

So, picture this being a trade. Would any of you trade 30 million, Luke Bard and Jam Jones for Holland? 

Would any of you trade Jam Jones for him straight up?

This deal is a no-go in my opinion. We have many options in the bullpen and we need to see where that takes us. We're about 20 million under the cap, but our year to year budget is at an all-time high, adding that kind of payroll limits our ability to add to the roster later in the year if needed, and our farm is just beginning to take shape at the lowest levels with Maitan, Marsh, Adell,  etc... If this team wants to win long run, they need to stockpile these picks and keep making splashes on the international market.

Holland will probably remain jobless until June when the draft pick forfeiture disappears.

57 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

You're sacrificing a second round pick in order to sign him. Think Jahmai Jones, Brandon Marsh, Griffin Canning, etc...

It isn't the cost so much as it is sacrificing the really good prospect you're losing.

With as loaded as draft as some think this is gonna be -- I had a hard time seeing the Angels signing anyone that would cost them pool money... don't believe anything has changed..   They would also lose international money...  So..  even less likely.

I don't see Eppler, under any condition, giving up a draft pick. Especially for an overpriced relief pitcher. The dollars i am hearing being bantered around for him would also max the team budget close to the tax threshold. Then they would have little flexibility for any in season additions at the trade deadline.

He walks too many for my taste.

I still refuse to believe that Addison Reed wouldn't have signed for that Twins contract if offered in Anaheim, given how big of an Angels fan he was, and that was a great deal. Because of that, I just don't see Eppler over-paying for Holland. He'd have to come down to what Eppler sees as at or below value I would think, given how much he relies on low-budget pen pickups.

I don't think losing the 2nd round pick is *that* big of an issue though. We essentially were gifted three prospects this winter with Ohtani, Maitan, and Soto, and filled every other need without sacrificing any real prospect currency. 

It sounds like I'm in the minority on this one, but to me, replacing Blake Parker with a veteran closer who led the NL in saves last year is a pretty substantial upgrade.  One consistent ingredient in recent World Series teams is a shut-down bullpen, and our 'pen has way too many question marks.  As sexy as a second round prospect might be, so many of them prove to be busts.  Proven veteran >>>>> sweet minor league prospect, especially when you're in win-now mode.

Would I trade Jahmai Jones for Greg Holland straight up?  Probably not.  Jones looks legit.  But would I have done it the day after we drafted Jones, having never seen him in a minor league game?  You bet.

If we could get a shutdown closer at a substantial discount, like a 1 year, $15 million deal, especially since MLB Trade Rumors had him down for a 4 year/ $50 million deal?  Sign me up.

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

he was dreadful in the 2nd half.  It's either because he lost stamina due to coming off TJ or he just sucked and is going to continue to do so.  

Anyone want the halos to pay 15m to find out?  

It wasn't a dreadful second half. It was just an ABSOLUTELY dreadful August.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=hollagr01&year=2017&t=p#month::none

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=hollagr01&year=2017&t=p#month_extra::none

5 minutes ago, NorCal Halo said:

I would prefer Derek Holland.

Really?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=hollade01&year=2017&t=p#month::none

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=hollade01&year=2017&t=p#month_extra::none

June-September OPS off of him: 1.157, 1.045, 1.010, and 1.500 before the White Sox (the WHITE SOX!!!!) mercifully released him.

I don't care if you don't want Greg Holland. I would hope this team has absolutely NOTHING to do with Derek.

How does it work if you sign more than one guy that gets a qualifying offer?  Do you lose more than one pick?  Do you lose more international signing money?  My thoughts are we picked up a couple of guys from the Atlanta system that could help justify losing the 2nd round pick and some international money if Eppler thought one of these guys were the guy to put us over the edge.  How cheap would Holland or Moustakas or Lynn, Cobb, Arrieta have to be where you don’t mind losing the pick and the international money?

12 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

With as loaded as draft as some think this is gonna be -- 

This just occured to me a few days ago. I dont know anything about the draft class, but ive started wondering if this year (like next years FA class) is supposed to be good, and maybe thats whats held up the off season moves.