• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

knife sharpener

looking to get a legit sharpener or learn more about the process. what do you guys use to sharpen knives, primarily kitchen knives?

I've seen the longer timed ones from an uncle that took forever, but seemed legit. I have one here, but feel like it's janky and that there are better options and sharpeners out there some of you bbq dudes use to have a sharp edge.

A good whetstone is going to be your best bet.

It'll take some practice to get the process down, but you can get almost any knife razer sharp.

Number 9 on this list is a great place to begin since it comes with an angle guide and instruction: https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-whetstones

Learn about the different grits and how they apply here: https://japana.uk/blog/what-whetstone-should-you-choose/

Yeah, I have a 3-1 or some shit and it does technically work, but is way more work than it states to get it somewhere solid. I think I do better with that metal sharpener that comes with the knife set.

Good call on taking them somewhere, I may try that and also just found a whet stone, that I'm curious about.

that video was dope...not gonna lie though, i thought by the screenshot and affinity for felines here that the cat was going to get scalped.

that dude makes using the stone look easy and worth a try. now, does he use two types of stones? from my research is does seem like people use a sharpening component and then a finishing or polishing component. 

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

that video was dope...not gonna lie though, i thought by the screenshot and affinity for felines here that the cat was going to get scalped.

that dude makes using the stone look easy and worth a try. now, does he use two types of stones? from my research is does seem like people use a sharpening component and then a finishing or polishing component. 

He's really good with it for sure. The Japanese are really into perfecting blades.

You really only need two grits for the most part, a more coarse one around 1000-2000 grit for corrections, and around 6000 for finishing. You can go slowly go higher and higher if you want to be a perfectionist, but it's not necessary. You can find lots of stones that are double sided on amazon with one side being coarse and the other much more fine for finishing the blade. Try it out! Just get a cheap knife and see how you do with it.

1 hour ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

He's really good with it for sure. The Japanese are really into perfecting blades.

You really only need two grits for the most part, a more coarse one around 1000-2000 grit for corrections, and around 6000 for finishing. You can go slowly go higher and higher if you want to be a perfectionist, but it's not necessary. You can find lots of stones that are double sided on amazon with one side being coarse and the other much more fine for finishing the blade. Try it out! Just get a cheap knife and see how you do with it.

no problem there. ever since I created this post my social media ads are non-stop sharpening stones and methods.

Whetstone showed up from Amazon yesterday and when I got home from work (at 10pm) I dropped it in a rectangular tray of water to basically prime it.

Turned on MLB channel and started working on a few old kitchen knives. It takes time and it's messy if you don't lay a towel down underneath the base. I had a spray bottle of water to keep the stone lubricated and every now and then dipped it back into the water tray to help clean off the accumulated grit.

Since these knives had gone such a long time without proper sharpening there was a lot of knicks that had to be ground out. The chef's knife was the worst and I still have a few small low spots that eventually I will get out but this first pass was mostly a test.

The thinner the blade the harder it is to work with because you can bend the metal while sharpening which causes the edge to round, counterproductive to what your trying to accomplish.

After about an hour I put away the three knives I was working on, they all could cut paper but still were not as refined as I wanted. Still, good results for a first pass on a 1000/6000 stone. 

I used to have (actually I still have) one of these

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pampered-Chef-Kitchen-Chef-Butcher-Knife-with-Sharpener-White-Black-/312049803964?hash=item48a79e22bc

Sharpener built into the knife guard. Brilliant idea actually. Squeeze the knife guard and pull the knife out, gives it a quick pass through the sharpener. Used it for years but finally upgraded. My wife still uses it because it's not as dangerous as the one I use.

When we go on vacation we like to rent condo's and townhomes rather than stay at hotels. One time we rented this condo in Mammoth. The kitchen was the dumping ground for every kitchen utensil the owners ever had but didn't want to throw away. So there was a knife drawer with like 30 knives of various sizes and shapes, none of them sharp, and no knife sharpener.