• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB investigating Ohtani medical info leak

TroutField

3 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I wouldn't go making baseless accusations without some substantial proof. By doing so, you are accusing someone of committing a crime. Just because you don't like Dipoto, that doesn't mean he did in fact leak the information. All the ball clubs knew this, and possibly rival agents who didn't land him as a player may have known about it. The potential pool of suspects is quite large.

As I see it, there are at least 6 possibilities as to who leaked the information.

1) A rival GM/Agent/Coach. This makes sense if you believe that a person such as this would actually release this information out of spite, jealousy, or some other negative impulse. But, if we think about this for a second, that person just committed a crime. Sure, it's not a big crime (although the civil penalties can add up, plus the risk of a civil lawsuit by Ohtani for damaging his reputation which could put millions at risk). The bigger question is, why do it? It's cutting off your head to cure a headache. Baseball is a small industry, and word does get around. Even if it doesn't, aspersions will be cast, and reputations will be tarnished. Lots of players have injuries and illnesses that they don't want the general public to know. Sometimes reporters get to know these conditions and can't comment when obvious decisions are made (or aren't made) during games. If an agent did this, and word got out, how many players will want that agent representing him? If a rival GM leaked this, it would invariably hurt his/her ability to sign a future player as well as putting his baseball career at risk. If some agent/GM/front office person did do this, I hope that s/he does get reprimanded heavily by the league.

2) The Angels themselves leaked it. This is a possibility. The information was presented to all 30 teams, so, it was out there. Maybe to get ahead of the story and to make it a non-issue for Spring Training, they just got it over with and put it out there. This would only have been done with Ohtani's blessing and permission. By making it old news, and releasing it when they did, it got buried. However, if the Angels did this, I don't see why there'd be an investigation by MLB, or, if there was, it would disappear quickly.

3) Ohtani and his agents released it. Same reasoning as the Angels, except this would be done with the Angels' approval. 

4) It was in the press materials that came out already. Since a reporter got ahold of the press materials, maybe a reference to it was in there. Since I haven't seen the materials in detail, I can't say what was or was not in there. I don't think any club would want their entire sales pitch known out there, so I was surprised that it was released. The information could have accidentally come out in the materials, or, when the Angels saw the press information out there from another team, felt that they had no choice but to release it and get ahead of the story. 

5) A person from Japan released it. Maybe a doctor, medical person, etc. in Japan who had knowledge of it released the information. I don't know if there is anything like HIPPA in Japan, so maybe the rules are different there. If that's the case, this may need to be addressed in a different manner.

6) Another person with an issue or vendetta released it. There are always plenty of people seeking their 15 minutes of fame and who have nothing better to do than poke at people who have accomplished more than them. Internet trolls have done a lot of damage over the years, and sadly, will continue to do so. 

So, just because there appears to be a motive for Dipoto to have released this information, and just because it's in vogue to do so around here, doesn't mean you should go jumping to conclusions. I'm keeping an open mind that there are plenty of other potential suspects and will wait for the investigation rather than jumping to conclusions.

So in other words, you're saying it's Dipoto.

5 minutes ago, Jobu said:

Who would you like to replace him? 

doesn't matter, really

the team needs a complete rebuild, and i don't think the new ownership group understands that, so changing gm's won't make much of a difference. i just despise anybody this organization puts in charge of anything now. 

I haven't gotten to listen to the podcast, but wasn't it Olney Dating it was DiPoto? I'll going to assume he has some sort of basis for it. He is open to a lawsuit. 

Had it not been for that, I'd actually have assumed it wasn't him. It's not like Ohtani's injury makes him look better. He was still all in on him knowing about the injury. If anything it makes him look worse. He traded prospects and assumed all of Gordon's contact to try to get a pitcher he knew had an injured elbow? I'm not seeing how that helps his reputation.

17 minutes ago, GOPSnowflakesHateCezero said:

doesn't matter, really

the team needs a complete rebuild, and i don't think the new ownership group understands that, so changing gm's won't make much of a difference. i just despise anybody this organization puts in charge of anything now. 

The same guys who hired Tony Reagins and Dipoto also hired Eppler. Maybe they'll learn? 

Whomever is the leaker, it wouldn't be a HIPAA violation because baseball employees are not in the healthcare business.

Most likely a violation of MLB rules though, which is why they are "investigating".  All that aside, from a practical perspective, the idea of privacy for a professional athlete is pretty much laughable these days. 

23 hours ago, DCAngelsFan said:

Yup, and that was my opinion (which, actually, it wasn't - just an excuse to try to say something funny - just 'cause I say something doesn't mean I mean something )

Anyway, I can now see this discussion spinning round and round, like a snake eating its own tail, so this is where I get off ...

Mr. President? Is that you?

I just listened to the Fangraphs Winter Meetings podcast (1149).  They talked about approaching Passan at the meetings to congratulate him on a Hosmer article he just came out with.  He told them "Forget about the Hosmer article and wait for my Ohtani piece because I just got the medical report!".  They look over and his editor is sitting down next to him going thru the report while they're standing there.  This is at the 12:00 mark if anyone wants to listen. 

Weren't there any adults around?  I wish Jeff Fletcher would chime in and explain what the ethical responsibilities are in a situation like this.  I haven't seen a writer yet say the details of his medical report shouldn't have been divulged.  Verducci said a "source" told him about the injections so at least there was some ambiguity there.  Yahoo were proud to say they "obtained" the report and then commenced to reveal the information on a confidential medical report.

I have zero sympathy for Ohtani’s privacy being violated because it had already been released to all 30 teams. So who’s he hiding it from? Everyone who could have anything to do with his career and livelihood already knows about it but he doesn’t want Joe on Twitter to know? 

A guy’s medical privacy is much more of an issue if it’s not baseball related (some disease) or if the other teams didn’t know.

If I wrote a story that said an Angels source told me Player X pays no attention to scouting reports or shows up late for meetings or can’t throw his slider anymore, that would have far more serious impact on people’s lives, but no one would be blaming me for writing it. 

It is petty if a team released it simply to make the Angels look bad, but that’s on that team, not the writer. You notice not even MLB is blaming Passan.