• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fangraphs: Ian Kinsler is a big upgrade for a minor price

Chuck

This isn't as big a slam dunk as you would think. If you are accepting FG's version that this is a good trade it's hard to discount that they out performed their base runs by a fair amount. They were probably closer to a mid 70s team in terms of wins but had a little good fortune with hit sequencing. That being said. They also had terrible luck with injuries. I think they far more talented than last year, but I don't think it's as easy as saying - add healthy pitching, full season of Upton and Kinsler, and Ohtani and it's a really good team. We need to subtract a little sequencing luck. 

Still really like the trade. I wouldn't be surprised if Kinsler puts up more wins for the Angels in 2018 than the minor leaguers we traded put up in their whole careers. I also think there's a 45% chance he out performs C. Hernandez next season.

The odds of Kinsler bouncing back to career norms is very good.  This is especially true when you figure he'll be hitting in front of Trout.

If he can at least give the Angels:  .260 AVG .330 OBP 20-ish HR 20-ish SB with his elite level defense - we will all be very happy.

I like the trade for all the reasons detailed above.

As long as Scioscia gets a good lineup going, and puts people in the right order for the most production, the offense should be head and shoulders above last year's. Sorry to harp on this, but if Albert is working a .260 OBP and grounding into tons of double plays in the cleanup spot, someone needs to have a sit-down with the manager.

From the article....All I can say is wow...

Earlier on Wednesday, according to our projections and depth charts, the Angels’ second-base situation was tied for the worst in the game. To address that, they’ve traded with the team that was ranked in eighth. 

And then, in the field, over the past three seasons, Kinsler has rated as the best defensive second baseman by DRS. He ranks as the fourth-best defensive second baseman by UZR.

The more I read, the better off I feel about this trade.

It's a fair trade. Kinsler is a great starting 2B coming off a down year, with only one year left on the contract. In return, the Tigers get a solid 4th OF and pretty solid reliever in a few years. More importantly, they took 11 million off their payroll.

Its a deal that works for both sides. We get the difference making 2B we need, they get a couple prospects that can contribute during their rebuild and save money. 

Its a steal for both sides. It's a fair deal.

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

Kinsler/Simmons is an unfair duo up the middle.

This is the most exciting thing to me. Especially if we get a good defensive 3b, and if 1b can manage to get its act together enough to be league average. We are kinda a ground ball pitcher's paradise right now.

If he remembers how to hit like he used to, Kinsler will be amazing. But even if not, we have a black hole up the middle.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Kinsler/Simmons is an unfair duo up the middle.

That's what I thought about Simmons and Espinosa. In fact I saw it as pretty much the same situation. The end result ended up being less than we wanted but you can't argue with the defense.

We just need someone to hit. 

We've spent enough prospects on these one year fixes, I'd just like to see something stick.