• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

YES Network says Angels might get Yu Darvish

Second Base

Speaking of six-man rotations, the Rangers could be prime candidates to go that route in 2018 if they manage to bring back Yu Darvish,Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News observes. The Rangers didn’t enter the offseason planning to spend big money on a single player, but Grant wonders if they’ll pivot from that strategy after failing to reel in Ohtani. As such, he proposes offering a four-year, $80MM guarantee to Darvish and including incentives and a fifth-year vesting option. While that seems light for the longtime Ranger and recent Dodger, Grant posits that both Darvish’s affinity for Texas and the prospect of going with a six-man rotation – something the hurler advocates – could help sway him toward a reunion.

That's from mlbtr. I don't think there's anyway he signs for that cheap but if he's only going to cost 80 million or so, the Angels should be all over that. I get that the Texas case is special but if he wants to pitch with his friend then maybe he would take a similar discount.

12 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Speaking of six-man rotations, the Rangers could be prime candidates to go that route in 2018 if they manage to bring back Yu Darvish,Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News observes. The Rangers didn’t enter the offseason planning to spend big money on a single player, but Grant wonders if they’ll pivot from that strategy after failing to reel in Ohtani. As such, he proposes offering a four-year, $80MM guarantee to Darvish and including incentives and a fifth-year vesting option. While that seems light for the longtime Ranger and recent Dodger, Grant posits that both Darvish’s affinity for Texas and the prospect of going with a six-man rotation – something the hurler advocates – could help sway him toward a reunion.

That's from mlbtr. I don't think there's anyway he signs for that cheap but if he's only going to cost 80 million or so, the Angels should be all over that. I get that the Texas case is special but if he wants to pitch with his friend then maybe he would take a similar discount.

Yeah, if the Angels can get him for something like 4/80 or even 5/100 they should pounce on that. Even with his down year, he was still one of the 15 or so best pitchers in baseball.

Interesting that Darvish advocates a six-man rotation. Eppler said the Angels may do that. Hmmm.

On 12/8/2017 at 3:00 PM, Dick Enberg said:

Need to stay away. He has thrown a ton of innings in his career now. he just doesn’t have it anymore. Mentally or physically

After the WS he said something to the effect that he has lost his desire to play ball. Desire or enthusiasm, something like that, he try to back step from that a little latter but he said it all the same.

On 12/8/2017 at 12:28 PM, Dochalo said:

makes sense.  Biggest name FA not rep'd by boras.  

If we can limit the contract to 5yrs, I'd be for it.  

This. Arte still has a thing against Boras. Must bug Arte he sees Boras at nearly every home game sitting behind home plate. Boras paying for the seats hardly helps take the sting off for Arte.

6 minutes ago, YouthofToday said:

You never have enough starting pitching.

No, but Eppler has gotten to a point where he can find starting pitching in his sleep. 

If one of our SPs can bring in a badass infielder *after* the signing of another SP like Darvish, sign me up. None of the FA IFs are really slam dunks.

Aside from Hernandez though, I have a hard time seeing any really good 2B/3B worth trading an arm for, and that's the biggest obstacle for me. Suarez is an option. From there? Jake Lamb? LeMahieu? Maybe Castellanos or Villar?

18 minutes ago, totdprods said:

No, but Eppler has gotten to a point where he can find starting pitching in his sleep. 

If one of our SPs can bring in a badass infielder *after* the signing of another SP like Darvish, sign me up. None of the FA IFs are really slam dunks.

Aside from Hernandez though, I have a hard time seeing any really good 2B/3B worth trading an arm for, and that's the biggest obstacle for me. Suarez is an option. From there? Jake Lamb? LeMahieu? Maybe Castellanos or Villar?

If he can find SP in his sleep ... then why spend $25M a season for a ex-Ranger on the wrong side of thirty. 

Sorry I don’t get it ... Darvish is at best a #2 starter. Too much young talent on the team ... we can always pickup a pitcher at the trade deadline if needed. 

The biggest hole on this team is run production.  The team has money and prospects to get it back on track.

Go after Wade Davis instead and solidify our bullpen. 

9 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

If he can find SP in his sleep ... then why spend $25M a season for a ex-Ranger on the wrong side of thirty. 

Sorry I don’t get it ... Darvish is at best a #2 starter. Too much young talent on the team ... we can always pickup a pitcher at the trade deadline if needed. 

The biggest hole on this team is run production.  The team has money and prospects to get it back on track.

Go after Wade Davis instead and solidify our bullpen. 

It comes down to what FAs are going to cost and who is going to cost what in a trade.

Me? At this point I'm perfectly fine snagging Walker at 2B and Frazier or Moose at 3B and calling it a day, with a minor pen arm and bench depth thrown in. Keep all our prospects and arms and move forward.

But if Frazier signs elsewhere because he wants to stay east, or the Angels have concerns about Walker's back and age, or if the Giants or Red Sox freak out and overpay 5/$90m for Moose, suddenly we have to tap into the trade market, and at that point it comes down to who'll cost what. If we're going to trade prospects and Skaggs or Heaney or Bridwell in order to get Suarez and/or Hernandez, then yeah, I see no reason why spending money on Darvish, Cobb, Lynn, Arrieta would be a bad alternative. They'll be overpaid and older than we'd like, but we'd be getting some reliability and cheap, controllable infielders instead. 

Ohtani gives us a lot of flexibility. We acquired rotation help and offensive depth without really touching payroll.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

if Eppler can find a SP in his sleep then why over pay for Darvish?

8 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

if Eppler can find a SP in his sleep then why over pay for Darvish?

Who said anything about overpaying? I didn't single out Darvish either. 

I trust Eppler can find good, cheap pitching depth, but a waiver claim for an Alec Asher or minor league deal for a Zach Putnam or Derek Holland (or whatever pitcher Eppler has identified as the next Parker Bridwell and Bud Norris) isn't going to displace Heaney or Skaggs or Shoe into automatic trade bait. That's only happening if he signs someone like Darvish, Cobb, Arrieta, Lynn, Garcia.

I only see him going that route if he isn't feeling the FA IF market and has to turn to trades for IFs. Our SP depth is a logical area to deal from, but as it stands right now, I would be nervous trading any of them away. If we signed someone it makes it a lot more feasible.

I don't know if the trade market is going to be more appealing with our arms or if FA will be more viable, but I'm open to Eppler going either way now that Ohtani provides another good SP. I'd rather spend $$$ on Addison Reed than a SP first, personally.

I think the Angels have a very good surplus of young cost control pitching to make a trade if necessary without having to sign a high price aging FA pitcher. 

Getting Ohtani has made it possible to make a trade if necessary. It’s still hard to believe the Angels got a top of the rotation starter for pennies on the dollar but more important they didn’t have to give up any prospects. 

;)

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Who said anything about overpaying? I didn't single out Darvish either. 

You did mention Darvish in your post. You may not have singled him out,  but he is the only one you mentioned by name, so technically you did.

..."If one of our SPs can bring in a badass infielder *after* the signing of another SP like Darvish, sign me up."...

Whoever gets Darvish will probably have to overpay for IMO.Same goes for Arrieta.