• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Eppler may have already built the 2018 bulllpen

Second Base

10 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

It looks like I'm in the minority here, but I'd sure like to see the Angels sign a real closer.  I used to think Bedrosian could be that guy, but now I'm not sure.  They need a lock down closer who slams the door shut.

You mean Wade Davis?

He's the only one. He'll cost about $12M a year for the 60 innings he's going to pitch. 

Not to mention $12M a year for 19, 20 and 21, when you have no clue how good he'll be.

Maybe they should have just signed Mark Melancon last year 

On 11/11/2017 at 8:27 AM, Jeff Fletcher said:

You mean Wade Davis?

He's the only one. He'll cost about $12M a year for the 60 innings he's going to pitch. 

Not to mention $12M a year for 19, 20 and 21, when you have no clue how good he'll be.

Maybe they should have just signed Mark Melancon last year 

What about Brandon Morrow and giving him a shot to earn the closer role?  He'd be cheaper than Davis.  Less years too.

6 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

What about Brandon Morrow and giving him a shot to earn the closer role?  He'd be cheaper than Davis.  Less years too.

Wasn't Blake Parker just as good as Brandon Morrow last year?

Of course, either of them might go in the tank in 2018. 

But one costs $2M and one costs $6M

Relievers are inconsistent and generally not worth spending a lot of money on IMO.

EDIT: Just looked it up. The Dodgers signed Brandon Morrow to a minor league deal on Jan 26. He made $1.25M this year. The point is that you are just as likely to find a very effective reliever for nothing (Morrow, Parker, Petit, Norris) than you are in spending a lot of money to pay for what a guy did last year.

EDIT II: Brandon Morrow is 33 and has a career 4.05 ERA, but someone is going to give him $12 million for the next two years based on the last 43 innings he pitched.

6 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Relievers are inconsistent and generally not worth spending a lot of money on IMO.

EDIT: Just looked it up. The Dodgers signed Brandon Morrow to a minor league deal on Jan 26. He made $1.25M this year. The point is that you are just as likely to find a very effective reliever for nothing (Morrow, Parker, Petit, Norris) than you are in spending a lot of money to pay for what a guy did last year.

EDIT II: Brandon Morrow is 33 and has a career 4.05 ERA, but someone is going to give him $12 million for the next two years based on the last 43 innings he pitched.

I still consider Brandon Morrow as an injury risk.  He had a good year in 2017, but before that there were a lot of injuries that he had to overcome.  It seems like durability should rank pretty far up on our list.  It was Morrow who in 2013 was diagnosed with an entrapped nerve by Dr. James Andrews.  It was pretty rare, difficult to diagnose and treat apparently.  It's a rare condition that Andrews said that he only sees once per year.  Then he was shut down for shoulder problems in 2015 that might have ended his career.  He's fought through all this stuff, but I can't see that a multi year deal is a good idea.  And I think that is what he is shooting for with the Dodgers.  They have the money to risk it, we don't.

16 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

All good info and thoughts.  I don't think it is fair to mention Morrow's career ERA when most of it came from being a starter.  His ERA as a relief pitcher in 2016 and 2017 were excellent.  That said, I understand your point.  I just feel this team's lack of a real closer hurt them last year.

9 hours ago, tomsred said:

I still consider Brandon Morrow as an injury risk.  He had a good year in 2017, but before that there were a lot of injuries that he had to overcome.  It seems like durability should rank pretty far up on our list.  It was Morrow who in 2013 was diagnosed with an entrapped nerve by Dr. James Andrews.  It was pretty rare, difficult to diagnose and treat apparently.  It's a rare condition that Andrews said that he only sees once per year.  Then he was shut down for shoulder problems in 2015 that might have ended his career.  He's fought through all this stuff, but I can't see that a multi year deal is a good idea.  And I think that is what he is shooting for with the Dodgers.  They have the money to risk it, we don't.

Good info about his injury.  I do think that is why he went from being a starter to a reliever though.  

• 6 months later...
On 11/10/2017 at 10:11 PM, VariousCrap said:

It looks like I'm in the minority here, but I'd sure like to see the Angels sign a real closer.  I used to think Bedrosian could be that guy, but now I'm not sure.  They need a lock down closer who slams the door shut.

I didn’t scroll back too far and ran across this one. In retrospect, I agree.