• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Expansion and Realignment

red321

http://www.baseballamerica.com/columnists/expansion-trigger-realignment-longer-postseason/#r6yKwXvz80T8Vtuv.97

Story says Portland and Montreal would be expansion candidates (didn't they fail once already?)

There seems to be a building consensus that baseball will soon be headed to a 32-team configuration. It will lead to major realignment and adjustments in schedule, which will allow MLB to address the growing concerns of the union about travel demands and off days.

One proposal would be to geographically restructure into four divisions, which would create a major reduction in travel, particularly for teams on the East Coast and West Coast, and add to the natural rivalries by not just having them as interleague attractions, but rather a part of the regular divisional battles.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/columnists/expansion-trigger-realignment-longer-postseason/#5zw2lpXlveJ8uJXX.99

Key elements of this alignment:

• A 156-game schedule would include 24 total games against the eight teams in each of the three other divisions—three games against each opponent.
  • The 156-game schedule would reduce each team's slate by six games, but revenue could be made up by a major reduction in travel costs.
  • The winners of the four wild card games would advance to the Division Series, which would feature a wild card team against each division champion.
  • Those four winners would advance to the Championship Series, and the winners of that round would meet in the World Series.
  • That would add postseason product to the broadcast packages and provide postseason hope for 12 of the 32 franchises, which could boost attendance in September, again offsetting any impact from the season being six games shorter.
  • And the schedule would drastically reduce travel, while keeping teams in their time zones, except for the Rockies and Twins. They, however, would be playing teams in a time zone an hour earlier, which is less demanding than an hour later, and also provides increased TV ratings because of prime time viewing. The other intra-division teams would have to travel to Colorado or Minnesota just six games per year.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/columnists/expansion-trigger-realignment-longer-postseason/#5zw2lpXlveJ8uJXX.99

maybe i'm being pedantic, but 156 games total, 24 outside of division, leaves 132 in the division against 7 opponents -- but 132 isn't divisible by 7?

anyway, i don't see why there needs to be 2 more teams, but i do like this solution, be fun to play SD and LA.  And texas can fuck off back to the midwest.

14 minutes ago, red321 said:

it's 12 games per team in division, so that is 84, meaning 72 outside of division...which I assume means 3 games against each team outside of your division.

Certainly wouldn't be a balanced schedule.

total brain fart thanks.  

Ok let's do a little look at the wildcard if we use this system for this season.

Your four division winners are Dodgers, Indians, Nationals and Astros. 

Your wildcards are 

Ped Sox

Cubs

Yankees

Dbacks

Rockies

Brewers

Twins

Cards

-------- sub .500 teams ----------

Angels

Royals

Rays

Mariners or Rangers

That's going to be a lot of mediocre teams in the playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Continue to be that guy.  Chuck's couch has plenty more room for your shit.  

Strad don’t you ever laugh or smile? What kinda person would get that pushed out shape over a meaningless meme. Get a grip Strad or you’re going give yourself a stroke. I don’t take any of this serious. I don’t own a MLB team. Teams wins and losses don’t change my life. It’s a message board! 

4 minutes ago, Calzone said:

Strad don’t you ever laugh or smile? What kinda person would get that pushed out shape over a meaningless meme. Get a grip Strad or you’re going give yourself a stroke. I don’t take any of this serious. I don’t own a MLB team. Teams wins and losses don’t change my life. It’s a message board! 

Dude, I laugh and smile plenty, usually at funny things.  See you may find this weird, but I like the Angels.  I know you don't get that or understand that.  So when I come on here, I like to read baseball stuff and Angel stuff.  Then you post over and over and over again your anti Angel narrative.  It gets annoying Claude.  You come on here to antagonize, you have said that yourself.  So if you get backlash, deal with it, because that backlash is not only deserved, but it is really the only attention you really desire on here.  So, you're welcome.  

I'd love a team in Portland - they'd instantly become my second favorite team (I lived there for 10 years and still miss it).

As for the AL/NL thing, my first reaction was "no way" - it is a sacred cow. But then I thought...why not? The MLB format could use a shake up.

I don't like eight wildcards though. That's getting into NBA territory. I like the idea of 1/4 of all teams reaching the postseason, which would mean 4 wildcards - 8 teams total.