• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels need an arm ahead of Richards in the rotation

Chuck

15 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think Skaggs may wind up being solid still - he may be worth a bit more to us than Hernandez. I'd seriously consider it still, especially if we were signing someone like Cobb and another. If all the starters are healthy in ST, we may need to deal one.

I think Hernandez is worth a Skaggs.  He is going to be a 3 WAR player this year with good speed, defense and OBP.  He is also not a FA until 2021.

Bring in Cobb and Chatwood and the loss of Skaggs is very low.

34 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

What about the biceps issue that also cost GRich almost 5 months?

Three major injuries in a three year period????   And that isn't cause for concern?

The bicep issue he had was a pinched nerve which is way different than a torn UCL or bicep tear. 

One major injury (UCL tear), a freak injury - knee (is Trout now damaged goods and can't be relied upon in 2018 because of his thumb injury?) and a nerve irritation (minor really) but took some time to heal and I suppose the Angels didn't want to risk bringing him back too soon.  He probably shouldn't have been back till the end of 2018 anyways - like Heaney - but his procedure worked and I haven't heard any link between the bicep nerve irritation and the torn UCL.

The Angels have to count on Richards in 2018 - they don't have a choice...too many holes to fill in the offensive lineup.

46 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

Chatwood's numbers away from Colorado have been solid.  He is also young.  I think he is a good investment for the middle of the rotation.

Chatwood, Corbin, Clevinger, Newcomb (though Simba is soooo good)...ah if we only still had them...we wouldn't be worrying about Richards and the rotation....

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I guess if push came to shove and I had to decide to spend big money (I'm not talking huge money just the $80-100 million type deals) on the pitching that was available or the hitting that was available and I'm considering the current roster we have going into next year, I guess I'd spend big on offense.  

We have bigger upside with Richards, Skaggs and Heaney than we do with Valbuena, Cowart and ???????  When you can't find a third person to add to that list it's obviously a problem.  I guess Cron.  Not only that spending big on a pitcher can be devistating. TDawg said Lance Lynn will get about $18 million, that's probably accurate but it's also insane.  I'd rather give $18 million to Moustakas.  Injury risk is less.  There are no offensive guys that will get paid like Darvish and Arrieta will get paid this off season. 

Did you not watch this team this year?  You want to rely on all the same dudes that fell apart and spend more on offense?

Should spend all the money available on starting pitching and the pen.

Re-introducing Pujols to his old PED dealer wouldn't hurt either.

Edited by nate

Just now, nate said:

Did you not watch this team this year?  You want to rely on all the same dudes that fell apart and spend more on offense?

Of course I watched.  We have ZERO upside on everyday players in our organization.  If there was such thing as a $10-12 million starter these days in free agency, then sure, get two of those guys on one or two year deals. But when Rich Hill and all his injuries cost $48 million over 3 years. Or Lynn at $15-18 million a year, I'll take my chances on Our trio of guys being healthy and Eppler finding a couple others.  

5 minutes ago, nate said:

As long as it isn't Hamilton's coke dealer.

On second thought...

1 hour ago, ksangel said:

Chatwood, Corbin, Clevinger, Newcomb (though Simba is soooo good)...ah if we only still had them...we wouldn't be worrying about Richards and the rotation....

Nobody could have predicted Clevenger's success....Corbin brought back a top of the rotation guy (Haren) and Newcomb brought back an elite SS.....Chatwood was just one of numerous crappy moves by DiPoto....Ianetta was mediocre, if that....

Back to the topic at hand, if I'm Scioscia I'm telling Shoemaker, Skaggs, Heaney, Bridwell, Tropeano & even Barria to come to camp in Feburary prepared to battle for 3 remaining spots in the rotation,  because we're adding a top of the rotation starter to pair with Richards. 

Get these guys to work hard in the offseason to land a starting job, not assume the job is theirs. 

Richards has looked extremely good after coming back. Good movement, better command and excellent velo. If we pair him with an Arrieta or Darvish, in addition to keeping Upton & adding a 3B or 2B, I think the Angels will be in great shape heading into 2018. 

A true ace would be nice, but this off seasons FA crop doesnt offer that without it costing 15-20 mil per.  And the guys on that list are not worth that investment to me with a myriad of injuries, weight issues, age concerns etc...    The only way this happens is if we package a couple of our younger depth guys to get it, and im not sure i like that any better.  

To me i just dont see this as a realistic option for us and would prefer top spend the money in other places and hope our guys come more into their own.  

Pitching want our problem this season, offense was.   

For me i want a lock down bullpen and solidify the offense, anything else is gravy 

15 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

David Price signed for 7 yrs/$217M ... not convinced the free agent route is the best way to go.

I struggle to think of one 'ace' FA that even came remotely close to delivering anything worth their pay. Sabathia is the 'best' I've been able to think of, in recent times. 

We just have too many comparable contracts to assume another risk like that. Stick to mid-tier. Any of those guys are capable of putting up numbers a good #2 can do, if things break right.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

I struggle to think of one 'ace' FA that even came remotely close to delivering anything worth their pay. Sabathia is the 'best' I've been able to think of, in recent times....

You may have to go back to Greg Maddux from the Cubs to the Braves....

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I struggle to think of one 'ace' FA that even came remotely close to delivering anything worth their pay. Sabathia is the 'best' I've been able to think of, in recent times. 

We just have too many comparable contracts to assume another risk like that. Stick to mid-tier. Any of those guys are capable of putting up numbers a good #2 can do, if things break right.

scherzer has been amazing so far.  

5 hours ago, Slegnaac said:

If they spend high on FAs this off season, how does that impact their ability to offer a deal to Trout in the future?  Or should they not worry about that?

We are already paying Trout an average salary $24M/year. Would an extra $10-15M/ year stop us from signing FAs? I doubt it, because of all the dead weight we have coming off the books and the salary threshold goes up every year under the new CBA. Besides with inflation his salary won't seem as much by time it ends.