• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

162 game schedule = +injuries

johndw52

I know its an improbable outcome due to owner/broadcasting/vendor loss of revenue but it would benefit MLB players, increasing the quality of the overall game. Anyone know of some data research that correlates between time on field to injuries  (we all know our DL history). I think its a slam dunk re. pitching. Does production, offense and defense, suffer more in say August and September. How about the suggestion of going back to 154 game season. More days off especially for coast to coast travel and cut a few games at the end. Increase wild card to maybe 2 out of 3 .Or is an acceptable part of the game, so just toughen up  Any opinions?

Johndw

an occasional poster and partime lurker.

Edited by johndw52
spelling and corrections

One friend of mine proposes a 156 game schedule (52 three game series) over 27 weeks, including a 1 week ASB, with one off day each week.

The season would start in late March and conclude in early October.   No more 20 games in 20 days, etc.

He would eliminate the 2nd WC all together, and keep the 5 game LDS and 7 game LCS and WS.   Because the season has an off day every week, the LDS, LCS, and WS would then only have one off day for each and only one day would exist in between each series.      Assuming no rainouts, the WS would still conclude before November.  

I think baseball would benefit from going into the 140's but I can't see either side, ownership or players, ever giving up revenue. I think that pitchers would benefit from having rosters expanded by one (reserved for a pitcher) and even though it wouldn't have any massive effect, it would occasionally give managers the option to pull starters earlier, especially the ones with suspect arms.  You mentioned travel and that is a good point that the Angels will travel literally twice the miles as the Cubs and Pirates this year.   

I like the idea, but you have to be careful when messing with the # of games played. Basically, there is HUGE statistical variation for the results of any individual baseball game played. The massive amount of games is there in order to tease out actual skill from pure luck of winning a few key games (the reverse is true in the playoffs, which makes them 1) exciting, and 2) very random). You could certainly knock a few off, but the further you go down that road, the less skill is a real factor on who does well in baseball.

For more on that:
https://www.vox.com/videos/2017/6/5/15740632/luck-skill-sports

I like AO's ideas.  Here's mine and it's kind of out there.  I'd start by adding two roster spots where a team would run with 27 players however each game the manager must choose 24 active players.  In essence you would "deactivate" your starter from the game before and two other players.  

I'd then have every team play Tuesday through Sunday each week.  You'd play a day game before a travel day always.  Every four weeks, on a Sunday every team would play a double header.  This would eliminate one week off of the schedule.  

Playoffs would have one day off, whether it's a 5 game or 7 game series.  If the sponsors bitch about it, put those games on MLB Network.  Let the ratings dictate time of game.  So if the Yankees are playing give them the prime time.  Everyone else has to deal with playing second fiddle, it's their fans fault one or two teams are more sought after.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I like AO's ideas.  Here's mine and it's kind of out there.  I'd start by adding two roster spots where a team would run with 27 players however each game the manager must choose 24 active players.  In essence you would "deactivate" your starter from the game before and two other players.  

I'd then have every team play Tuesday through Sunday each week.  You'd play a day game before a travel day always.  Every four weeks, on a Sunday every team would play a double header.  This would eliminate one week off of the schedule.  

Playoffs would have one day off, whether it's a 5 game or 7 game series.  If the sponsors bitch about it, put those games on MLB Network.  Let the ratings dictate time of game.  So if the Yankees are playing give them the prime time.  Everyone else has to deal with playing second fiddle, it's their fans fault one or two teams are more sought after.  

I think this is a solid suggestion.  They probably get the same or greater net revenue from games on MLB.  Having the extra roster spots would allow the team to "rest" players without penalty.  The MLBPA would certainly approve this as more players would be on the MLB roster and get paid.  I could see some issue with limiting one day off for travel.  Basically you could only have West Coast teams traveling to the East Coast on Sunday Nights / Mondays.  Or they would have to "play" their way across the country.  With the Sunday Double Header you basically are limiting the Monday travel to regional only.  But I bet a good computer program could figure out a schedule.