• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Great Baseball Quotes

9 hours ago, Bruce Nye said:

An anonymous baseball announcer was watching a young couple in the stands - he kisses her on the strikes and she kisses him on the balls.

I heard that Soupy Sales said that on his short lived after school TV in the 60s.

Just like I heard that Zsa Zsa brought her favorite cat on the tonight show and asked Johnny if he'd like to pet her pussy. He said sure just get rid of that damn cat.

17 hours ago, Bruce Nye said:

An anonymous baseball announcer was watching a young couple in the stands - he kisses her on the strikes and she kisses him on the balls.

I believe that is a reference to an interview by Johnny Carson with Arnold Palmer on the Tonight Show.  Palmer was asked what his secret was and he replied that his wife would kiss his balls the night before golf tournaments.

Only old timers (like me) will remember Jay Johnstone.  He was an OF for the Angels and a few other teams.  When he was a Dodger, he showed up for a urine test and offered his sample.  It came up with some discoloration, so he came back with a sample filled with apple juice and said, "Try this."

I met him (I think in 1970) in a bar in Anaheim.  He was with Jim Fregosi.  I asked him what he was going to do after he retired and he said, "I'll write a book called, "The bases were loaded and so was I."   It was the first time I'd heard that line.  Subsequently, a book has been written by that same name.  I haven't read it to see it there is attribution to Johnstone.  But he was a real baseball character.  Once as a Dodger, he and Jerry Reuss donned maintenance uni's and posed as the team who dragged the infield after the 5th inning.  Lasorda was furious when he looked up and saw the two of them.  Once in the Dodger dugout, he bought a hot dog from a vendor and ate it in the dugout.

Very colorful guy.  

Moe Drabowsky was one of the game's great pranksters. He once used the bullpen phone in Anaheim to order Chinese takeout from a restaurant in Hong Kong. Then there was this gem.

Early in his days with the Baltimore Orioles, the O's were playing the Athletics at Municipal Stadium in Kansas City. Having just pitched for the A's, Drabowsky knew the number for the A's bullpen, he knew that you could call one bullpen from the other, and he could imitate KC's pitching coach. With Jim Nash cruising against the Orioles in the fifth inning, Drabowsky decided that it was time for some bullpen action. He called the A's bullpen and said "Get (Lew) Krausse up." The A's bullpen scrambled to comply with the unexpected call. Drabowsky's teammates were howling. He wasn't done yet, however. After a couple of minutes of Krausse warming up, Drabowsky called again and said "OK, sit him down." His teammates rolled again as activity stopped in the other bullpen.

3 hours ago, Bruce Nye said:

Only old timers (like me) will remember Jay Johnstone.  He was an OF for the Angels and a few other teams.  When he was a Dodger, he showed up for a urine test and offered his sample.  It came up with some discoloration, so he came back with a sample filled with apple juice and said, "Try this."

I met him (I think in 1970) in a bar in Anaheim.  He was with Jim Fregosi.  I asked him what he was going to do after he retired and he said, "I'll write a book called, "The bases were loaded and so was I."   It was the first time I'd heard that line.  Subsequently, a book has been written by that same name.  I haven't read it to see it there is attribution to Johnstone.  But he was a real baseball character.  Once as a Dodger, he and Jerry Reuss donned maintenance uni's and posed as the team who dragged the infield after the 5th inning.  Lasorda was furious when he looked up and saw the two of them.  Once in the Dodger dugout, he bought a hot dog from a vendor and ate it in the dugout.

Very colorful guy.  

Johnstone is from Edgewood HS in West Covina (last scool I attended before moving to Colorado). Others from that school include the Roenicke brothers, Rick Auilera, and NBA legend Jeff Cook

17 hours ago, Bruce Nye said:

Very colorful guy.  

Johnstone did have a huge HR for the Dogs in the 1981 WS.

He was a character as a player, to be sure.

Drabowsky also endered himself to anti-Dogs fans,  when he pitched 6.2 scoreless innings in relief and K'd 11 Dogs in game 1 of the 1966 WS.