• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Penn State Hazing Death

That's awful. I certainly think someone needs to be held accountable for this, but a lot of people have been to a lot of parties where people have  been hammered, hurt or both and the response to the deceased wasn't atypical IMO. Very sad. Fraternities are lame sauce. 

I would have assumed he was just incredibly drunk and would be fine the next day. 

my reaction is the opposite to yours, adam. having never been around people who drink/get drunk, if i saw an unconscious person my first reaction would be to get them medical attention. seems like someone should have recognized this as more than just a kid who was drunk, but maybe that's hindsight or an adult's perspective.

5 minutes ago, Tank said:

my reaction is the opposite to yours, adam. having never been around people who drink/get drunk, if i saw an unconscious person my first reaction would be to get them medical attention. seems like someone should have recognized this as more than just a kid who was drunk, but maybe that's hindsight or an adult's perspective.

It happens at almost every college party, unfortunately.

is there any way to put the brakes on what seems like an overwhelming amount of underage drinking on college campuses? do colleges do anything to educate kids/fraternities about the problems that can happen or what to look out for, or even to back off on serving it?

31 minutes ago, Tank said:

You obviously have not been playing golf with me enough then.  Or come to think of it, at the track on dollar beer day.

Edited by gotbeer

21 minutes ago, Tank said:

is there any way to put the brakes on what seems like an overwhelming amount of underage drinking on college campuses? do colleges do anything to educate kids/fraternities about the problems that can happen or what to look out for, or even to back off on serving it?

Better parenting. 

6 hours ago, gotbeer said:

You obviously have not been playing golf with me enough then.  Or come to think of it, at the track on dollar beer day.

i'd go to the track with you. there's a ton for me to learn about the sport of kings. santa anita sometime?

42 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Not disagreeing with your post and not really arguing.  I just don't think that defense is going to work for those frat kids that have been charged.

they should all go to jail.

and have their charter revoked. sell the building if they own it and proceeds go to the family. 

completely unacceptable. poor kid. can't fathom what his family is going through.

Wow that was hard to read. I agree with what Wicked and Adam mentioned re: it happens at college parties a lot. This story also reinforces how happy I am that I didn't join a frat. At my school, UCSB, it wasn't necessary to join one in order to find parties, so never dealt with the greek parties as much. But even the non Greek parties had kids that were passed out like that or staggering around. With that said, any of the parties that I was at, if someone started to fall down from being too drunk, I'd always see another student (whether it was a significant other or a concerned friend) take care of that person.

I still have pictures of some of my friends passed out at parties. But the difference is I cared about these people and would look out for them. If something didn't seem right I would have stepped up and taken care of them. Which actually would have been scary because I was probably in just as bad shape.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2017 at 3:25 PM, Tank said:

Most do. That doesn't stop bad judgment. I was part of the fraternity system in my college days, and my fraternity had a strong anti-hazing policy. There wasn't any hazing in my chapter, but several other chapters were disciplined for violating it. It is a self-perpetuating thing. One group of guys endures it, and they make sure that those who follow have to go through the same thing. It's hard to break the chain once something like that starts.