• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Meyer gets a shot....

Like Scotty said, Meyer needs some extended looks in the majors. If he's not going to get it this year with all the injuries already, then when will he get his shot? I still think Meyer is a reliever all the way but give him his reps in the majors to see if he can make the necessary adjustments. His 19.3 K-BB% and 51.8 GB% in AAA show the type of potential he has(excuse me if I'm looking past his ERA in the PCL). 

3 hours ago, Angels_Baseball said:

Like Scotty said, Meyer needs some extended looks in the majors. If he's not going to get it this year with all the injuries already, then when will he get his shot? I still think Meyer is a reliever all the way but give him his reps in the majors to see if he can make the necessary adjustments. His 19.3 K-BB% and 51.8 GB% in AAA show the type of potential he has(excuse me if I'm looking past his ERA in the PCL). 

If people on this board havent figured out inflated SLC ERA's don't mean shit then they never will.   Meyer has his warts but he's really got nothing to prove in AAA.   

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

If people on this board havent figured out inflated SLC ERA's don't mean shit then they never will.   Meyer has his warts but he's really got nothing to prove in AAA.   

Most guys will improve upon their numbers moving from Salt Lake to Anaheim. 

6 hours ago, CALZONE said:

Meyer has good stuff but he can't control it. His inconsistency is the very reason why he hasn't progressed much. Most of the time that's not fixable. He's a crapshoot every outing.

BS. His injuries are the reason he hasn't progressed much.

4 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Is it my imagination or do you guys have less patience for young pitchers than young hitters?

There is always a crowd saying a struggling hitter "just needs to get 500 ABs! How is he supposed to hit if Scioscia doesn't give him a chance?"

Isn't he 27 years old? How many more years does he need to to develop and turn that corner?

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Isn't he 27 years old? How many more years does he need to to develop and turn that corner?

He's pitched a total of 35 innings at the MLB level...   Thus why people are saying he has nothing left to prove in the minors, and that he needs to do it at the highest level.   Like many here, I think his future likely lies in the pen but....  they gotta at least see what he's capable of as a SP.

Not that they are in the same league -- but Randy Johnson was a sub league average pitcher until his age 28 season...   Over the first 607 innings of his career (through age 27). RJ had a WHIP of 1.432, a BB/9 near 6.0 and a K/9 of 8.5.   Not saying Meyer could turn the page in a similar way but, there was little outside of potential to make anyone believe RJ would go on to win 5 Cy Youngs through his age 27 season

People want Meyer to have instant success because the team needs SP in a bad way...  But at the end of the day he's a guy with 35 MLB innings under his belt.  He's gonna get his lunch handed to him from time to time...

6 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Is it my imagination or do you guys have less patience for young pitchers than young hitters?

There is always a crowd saying a struggling hitter "just needs to get 500 ABs! How is he supposed to hit if Scioscia doesn't give him a chance?"

@Jeff Fletcher What I saw in Meyer was an inability to understand he doesn't choose the strike zone and because of that is unable to control his mental game. He was constantly disagreeing with the umpires calls, even voicing it to Graeterol when he went to the mound to calm him down. 

This is one of the problems Richards, Weaver and Lackey all had when they started out. Immaturity on display, interrupting their concentration and leaving them wide open for a big inning by making small mistakes in a cascading manner.

Someone needs to beat that out of him.