• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Meyer gets a shot....

I think AM (Alex Meyer) is the next AM (Andrew Miller).

One is 6' 9"/225.

The other is 6' 7"/205.

One has a career ERA of 7.32 as a starter.

The other had a career ERA in the mid-upper 5s as a starter.

One is 27, the other was 27 when the Red Sox finally figured out how to use him.

One had a K/BB ratio about 1.3 as a starter, one has a K/BB ratio of 1.44.

I think if the Angels figure out Meyer, he could be a very VALUABLE asset. I just don't think it'll be as a starter.

1 hour ago, CALZONE said:

I will say this. Stop the madness about people thinking that we can contend this season. We need to clear out all of these stop gap players and maybe Cron and Calhoun before the deadline for whatever prospects we can get. We need to seriously think about 2019 and beyond to allow our frontline pitchers to recoup and prove that they still belong. That tied in with a couple of decent drafts and we could solidify a foundation for years to come. Yes it's painful but we're not getting anywhere with this current plan. Maybe even Pujols would also accept a buyout after 2018. 

The Angels weren't going to spend much this year no matter what IMO.  I think your idea will get some consideration if management decides that Richards and Skaggs will probably always spend lots of time on the DL.  I won't complain if they decide to do so.  My strong preference is to keep Trout and Simmons. 

3 hours ago, DMVol said:

Cowart is 24....about the time (or maybe a little older) when most prospects get an every day chance....Meyer is 27...that's a little long in the tooth for a prospect....that said, I'm all for giving Meyer enough of a chance as a starter to prove whether he can get it done....I don't have illusions that Cowart is likely to be a solid ML regular...but if Espinosa hangs around .150 for another month and Cowart is still hitting at SLC, not sure what the downside would be with a change....not now but maybe in June...

Cowart was also drafted out of HS so this is his 8th year as a pro. Meyer is in his 7th year. Both have had a little taste of the majors (139 PA's and 35 IP).

Meyer's advantage is he was once a top prospect. Cowart was never a top 100 type prospect.

Honestly the odds are stacked against both of them. 

The other issue with Cowart, by the way, is he's still just a converted 2B. He's not going to be close to as good defensively as Espinosa or even Pennington. He's played less than 500 innings there his whole career. That's like 2 months worth of games. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Cowart was also drafted out of HS so this is his 8th year as a pro. Meyer is in his 7th year. Both have had a little taste of the majors (139 PA's and 35 IP).

Meyer's advantage is he was once a top prospect. Cowart was never a top 100 type prospect.

Honestly the odds are stacked against both of them. 

The other issue with Cowart, by the way, is he's still just a converted 2B. He's not going to be close to as good defensively as Espinosa or even Pennington. He's played less than 500 innings there his whole career. That's like 2 months worth of games. 

I know all that....and I don't disagree with any of your points except that, if Espinosa is still floundering a month from now, I don't see any reason not to give Cowart (or somebody else) a chance...Espinosa hit .209 last year and he's at .150 after 100 AB's in this year....that's a concern.. 

4 hours ago, DMVol said:

I know all that....and I don't disagree with any of your points except that, if Espinosa is still floundering a month from now, I don't see any reason not to give Cowart (or somebody else) a chance...Espinosa hit .209 last year and he's at .150 after 100 AB's in this year....that's a concern.. 

maybe someone will go on the DL and they can do that. I can't see them releasing Espinosa. Maybe Pennington but not till like August. 

AO you are obsessed with a single player again. All year you've been wound up about Moustakas when the Angels needs really are on the mound. You are going to be disappointed when Eppler bypasses the obvious big name and keeps the payroll in check by not over spending on one asset. 

If Moustakas is a big name then I don't know what to call Machado and Harper the following year.  Moustakas is a good player that's solid on both sides of the ball.  He's a guy that can lengthen a line up.  Kind of like a Mitch Moreland but at a premium defensive position.  

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

AO you are obsessed with a single player again. All year you've been wound up about Moustakas when the Angels needs really are on the mound. You are going to be disappointed when Eppler bypasses the obvious big name and keeps the payroll in check by not over spending on one asset. 

I won't be crushed like in past years, if not signing him.   I like the smart approach to building the org.   But, if they could somehow get him at a decent price, go for it.

3B and starting pitching are the two biggest future holes, with Johnson and Fletcher being two decent future 2B options and Jones and Hermosillo being 2 solid future LF options.

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Fletch, what would your preliminary odds be on Moustakas signing with the Halos in the off-season?

KC is retreating back to their pre-2014 days, and SoCal is where he grew up.

I have no clue. But all I can guarantee you is whoever signs him is going to overpay. 

Hes a nice little player, but he's no star.

Even in his good years he doesn't get on base. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I have no clue. But all I can guarantee you is whoever signs him is going to overpay. 

Hes a nice little player, but he's no star.

Even in his good years he doesn't get on base. 

That's what the Angels don't need.  Another hitter that doesn't get on base.