• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Richards to 60 day DL...

DMVol

It isn't Richards' fault that he is injured.  Just one of those unpredictable things that happens.  We just don't have another ace type to step in and replace him. 

I hope we select a high ceiling starting pitcher with our pick in the draft.  It is getting just a little frustrating watching the 4-A types move up and down between here and Salt Lake.

21 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Hate to say it, but saw this one coming a year ago. Wish he would have just gotten the surgery.

it's not his elbow now.  He'd have gotten the surgery and then come back and then likely would have the same problem he does now.  

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

it's not his elbow now.  He'd have gotten the surgery and then come back and then likely would have the same problem he does now.  

you're a doctor and i'm not, but it's hard to lean away from correlation when he's avoided the traditional treatment for his injury. i just find it difficult to believe that it won't ultimately be physically related or a byproduct of his trying to pitch around the injury.

2 hours ago, calscuf said:

Yeah, I'm going to have to, uh, disagree.

Anyone would makes the MLB and would prefer to make 15-20mil over a career but win the WS or earn $150mil and be on a losing team is fucking loony.  You give up the chance at a ring for life changing, generational wealth.

English Cop will address this post after he's done seizing.

5 hours ago, ukyah said:

you're a doctor and i'm not, but it's hard to lean away from correlation when he's avoided the traditional treatment for his injury. i just find it difficult to believe that it won't ultimately be physically related or a byproduct of his trying to pitch around the injury.

So I guess Skaggs' biceps tendinitis was also a result of Richards choosing against surgery?

7 hours ago, calscuf said:

Yeah, I'm going to have to, uh, disagree.

Anyone would makes the MLB and would prefer to make 15-20mil over a career but win the WS or earn $150mil and be on a losing team is fucking loony.  You give up the chance at a ring for life changing, generational wealth.

The salary for a frontline successful Ace pitcher is usually worth $100M+ 

I believe Richards was hoping to avoid the knife, pitch great and cash in on a large multi year deal. 

He'll never see that big money 

53 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

The salary for a frontline successful Ace pitcher is usually worth $100M+ 

I believe Richards was hoping to avoid the knife, pitch great and cash in on a large multi year deal. 

He'll never see that big money 

Rich Hill was released by the Angels in 2014...    The Angels were his 5th organization -- he would sign and be cut by two more teams (Yanks and Nats), before re-emerging with the Red Sox in 2015.

Hill was 34 years old, he had struggled with inconsistency and injuries his entire career (4.72 ERA over 471 innings).   He then managed 24 starts between 2015 and 2016 missing time due to injuries in both seasons.  Despite that he signed a 3 year 48 million dollar contract last winter.  So...  to recap.... Rich Hill turned 139 innings at age 36 into 48 million dollars.  I know your'e in a rush to bury Richards -- but he's got a long ways to go before he's 34 years old still.  As it stands, he's managed a higher IP total for his career than the Dodgers 50 million dollar man...  despite being 8 years younger than him.

I know you fancy yourself a smart guy, but never underestimate the stupidity of MLB teams or the value of upper echelon performance pitching.

43 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Rich Hill was released by the Angels in 2014...    The Angels were his 5th organization -- he would sign and be cut by two more teams (Yanks and Nats), before re-emerging with the Red Sox in 2015.

Hill was 34 years old, he had struggled with inconsistency and injuries his entire career (4.72 ERA over 471 innings).   He then managed 24 starts between 2015 and 2016 missing time due to injuries in both seasons.  Despite that he signed a 3 year 48 million dollar contract last winter.  So...  to recap.... Rich Hill turned 139 innings at age 36 into 48 million dollars.  I know your'e in a rush to bury Richards -- but he's got a long ways to go before he's 34 years old still.  As it stands, he's managed a higher IP total for his career than the Dodgers 50 million dollar man...  despite being 8 years younger than him.

I know you fancy yourself a smart guy, but never underestimate the stupidity of MLB teams or the value of upper echelon performance pitching.

The timing of his setback will absolutely impact his financial future. He's 28 and his Arb4 season is 2018. If he was healthy and pitched like an Ace this season he certainly would've cashed in on a multi year deal worth millions. If he needs any type of surgery that requires him to miss the rest of this season or more and requires a "start over" period he'll never see that huge Ace type payday. 

theres not really a lot of reason to expect that Garret RIchards is going to be a long term contributor for the Angels at this point.  How terribly disappointing.  This is just another obstacle to competing during the Trout years.  A lot was riding on this guy being a viable option for us.  Getting pretty close to the point where the blow up tear down is going to be our best option.

Edited by UndertheHalo

On 4/23/2017 at 9:06 PM, arch stanton said:

But he doesn't have elbow problems. How does TJS solve problems with biceps nerve irritation?

Seriously.

I don't get the whole injury prone thing. He broke his ankle covering first base once, then he avoided tjs last year with the alternative treatment (which apparently worked since doctors said his tendon looked really strong iirc), and now he has a little bicep flare up.

That doesn't scream injury prone to me.

I agree, injury-prone isn't totally fair to label Richards, but even prior to his knee injury and now his arm injury, I know many were pretty nervous he was going to be due for some arm trouble because of his delivery. But, we've also seen pitchers with perfect mechanics have their arms implode, and pitchers with violent deliveries last forever, so probably moot. Still, I can see how the anxiety was there even before his recent run of luck.

53 minutes ago, CALZONE said:

The timing of his setback will absolutely impact his financial future. He's 28 and his Arb4 season is 2018. If he was healthy and pitched like an Ace this season he certainly would've cashed in on a multi year deal worth millions. If he needs any type of surgery that requires him to miss the rest of this season or more and requires a "start over" period he'll never see that huge Ace type payday. 

I like how you state your opinions as absolutes even as you pepper your reasoning with IFs..   Compelling debate.   

You previously stated/implied he would never see a big payday -- I gave you a recent example of a guy with a lesser track record, older, and injury prone who basically got 50 mil at age 37.  

Richards' future earning potential is an unknown -- but he's got reason to believe he might still see a big payday.

18 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

60 day dl trips (at a minimum) don't reflect a little flare up.

Yeah man -- the 60 day DL always seemed like the "oh shit" DL list...   Has anything definitive been released yet? seems to be a situation where they know what it isn't -- but aren't quite sure of what it is.   Richards himself may be in a denial phase -- he seems pretty flip about the situation.    

Based on the little information that's been offered I wonder if this isn't something they would have dismissed as a dead arm or some other fatigue based ailment in years passed.  I don't doubt they are concerned and at the same time I wonder if they would have taken the same route were it not for what happened last year.

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

Cy Young and Nolan Ryan agree.

And a host of others.

Oh yeah, Ryan got hurt after 27 years. Anybody could.

this is what I was talking about the other day.  I obviously was exaggerating to make a point.  You had to pick a couple of freaks of nature to make your point, which actually makes my point.  

38 minutes ago, Stradling said:

this is what I was talking about the other day.  I obviously was exaggerating to make a point.  You had to pick a couple of freaks of nature to make your point, which actually makes my point.  

He had to go to a pitcher who pitched 100 years ago.  And a guy who pitched 40 years ago.

Game set match, strad on this one.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

I like how you state your opinions as absolutes even as you pepper your reasoning with IFs..   Compelling debate.   

You previously stated/implied he would never see a big payday -- I gave you a recent example of a guy with a lesser track record, older, and injury prone who basically got 50 mil at age 37.  

Richards' future earning potential is an unknown -- but he's got reason to believe he might still see a big payday.

Yeah man -- the 60 day DL always seemed like the "oh shit" DL list...   Has anything definitive been released yet? seems to be a situation where they know what it isn't -- but aren't quite sure of what it is.   Richards himself may be in a denial phase -- he seems pretty flip about the situation.    

Based on the little information that's been offered I wonder if this isn't something they would have dismissed as a dead arm or some other fatigue based ailment in years passed.  I don't doubt they are concerned and at the same time I wonder if they would have taken the same route were it not for what happened last year.

He's suffered two separate arm injuries and both severe enough to give him long stints on the disabled list and the unknown zone as far as treatment. His bread and butter pitch is a 97 mph fastball so I think you can now categorize him as high risk in terms of future investment. 

Remember that Richards did say that he was going to try to recapture what he was doing in 2014 or 85%.

His 2014 performance was that of an Ace type MLB pitcher. Those pitchers usually get paid tons of money if they stay healthy. I'm pretty sure that he would've gladly accepted a Weaver type contract going into next season because he was rebounding from his treatment but there's no way he will get anything close to that if anything at all. 

4 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

He had to go to a pitcher who pitched 100 years ago.  And a guy who pitched 40 years ago.

Game set match, strad on this one.

I'm sure for the most part it has to do with the normal wear and tear on a pitcher these days.  Most kids play year round in a lot of states.  They also play travel ball as well as high school ball.