• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Richards to 60 day DL...

DMVol

15 minutes ago, Kody Mac said:

Bud Norris to the rotation??

Starting to look pretty desperate, like last year....maybe Banuelos or Campos can get ready...Meyer doesn't seem to be progressing much...maybe a couple of good starts at SLC and he's in the discussion...

13 minutes ago, wopphil said:

He will never throw another pitch for the Angels. He won't return this year, and will get non-tendered in the offseason.

I wouldn't be surprised if they still sign him to a 1-2 year Minor League or League Minimum contract. Really depends in the end how this injury plays out.

This is why I wasn't optimistic of this teams chances of making the postseason. Considering their roster, they have very little margin for error and needed all 3 of Richards/Shoemaker/Skaggs to pitch all season and it was hard to see that realistically happening.

Cam going on the DL is just things going from bad to worse jeez

1 hour ago, ettin said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they still sign him to a 1-2 year Minor League or League Minimum contract. Really depends in the end how this injury plays out.

No way that happens.

Eovaldi, Pelfrey, Anderson, Medlen...numerous young, talented pitchers are getting two-year deals for solid guaranteed money while either coming off of or during major injuries.

I'm hoping this is just the Angels deciding that 2017's not worth risking Richards' arm for a couple months and they're subscribing to the idea that the first third of the year is simply for taking stock of what the team has. Run out Ramirez, Norris, Petit, Banuelos, Wright, etc. and see if there's anything there. That's partly why we accumulated so many of these lotto-tick arms. Hope someone sticks and makes the rotation that much better and crowded when Richards returns.

Just now, DMVol said:

He may not be back until 2019 if this stuff ultimately results in TJ surgery....

Well yeah that's the worst-case scenario.

It's a big blow, but it's apparently obvious that Eppler was prepared for scenarios like this going into this year. He stocked up on minor league arms who still have potential and didn't blow tens of millions or commit multiple years in free agency. This team was built to contend if things broke the right way - which happens sometimes and still could (if Simmons hits another grand slam, especially a game-winner, in coming days who knows what happens) but also built to be deconstructed efficiently if things are bombing. We have multiple players with some trade value this time around, and a lot more in-house replacements to play with for the remainder of the year if needed.

29 minutes ago, totdprods said:

No way that happens.

Eovaldi, Pelfrey, Anderson, Medlen...numerous young, talented pitchers are getting two-year deals for solid guaranteed money while either coming off of or during major injuries.

I'm hoping this is just the Angels deciding that 2017's not worth risking Richards' arm for a couple months and they're subscribing to the idea that the first third of the year is simply for taking stock of what the team has. Run out Ramirez, Norris, Petit, Banuelos, Wright, etc. and see if there's anything there. That's partly why we accumulated so many of these lotto-tick arms. Hope someone sticks and makes the rotation that much better and crowded when Richards returns.

Daniel Hudson stayed with the D-backs after he had TMJ. Jered Weaver could have gotten a more lucrative contract. There are others. I'd be really careful of saying no way that happens particularly when Richards and Trout are so close as friends. First of all it is not apparently a UCL tear but clearly it's not good if he's going on the 60-day DL. If he rehabs back and the Angels feel comfortable there is NOTHING blocking them from giving him a 1+ year deal just like all the other 29 clubs in the Majors can do. I'd say the odds are a bit in the Angels favor in that regard. The talent is there it's the arm that is in question.

I realize this is a side issue but...

Daniel Wright got called up because after last night the bullpen is shot. If their starter tonight got knocked out in the 3rd, they needed someone who could soak up 4 innings. Wright has options so he's easy to move up and down when you need a guy just for innings coverage. 

This wont be the last time you see him for this exact reason. 

Don't stress. 

33 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Daniel Wright got called up because after last night the bullpen is shot. If their starter tonight got knocked out in the 3rd, they needed someone who could soak up 4 innings. Wright has options so he's easy to move up and down when you need a guy just for innings coverage. 

Don't stress. 

Cron to Philly for Eflin and Pivetta--put it in their ear.

35 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Don't stress. 

No stress we have Kirby Yates. 

1 hour ago, ettin said:

Daniel Hudson stayed with the D-backs after he had TMJ. Jered Weaver could have gotten a more lucrative contract. There are others. I'd be really careful of saying no way that happens particularly when Richards and Trout are so close as friends. First of all it is not apparently a UCL tear but clearly it's not good if he's going on the 60-day DL. If he rehabs back and the Angels feel comfortable there is NOTHING blocking them from giving him a 1+ year deal just like all the other 29 clubs in the Majors can do. I'd say the odds are a bit in the Angels favor in that regard. The talent is there it's the arm that is in question.

Maybe, but Eppler hasn't really been one to pursue the 'damaged goods'-type FA, at least at the MLB level. There have been numerous free agents in similar shape and Eppler has shied away.