• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cameron Maybin

5 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

We are nearing the point when spring stats begin to become predict of in-season performance. If Maybin continues to struggle up until opening day I will be concerned.

I don't know that there is any predictive value in ST stats, but I definitely pay more attention the final week to ten days of ST than early on when batters are facing Jimmy Bagadonuts from AA Scranton.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

I don't know that there is any predictive value in ST stats, but I definitely pay more attention the final week to ten days of ST than early on when batters are facing Jimmy Bagadonuts from AA Scranton.

There was an article last year on maybe fan graphs that looked at spring training stats and found that the last week+ worth of games is about as predictive of in season performance as any regular season week would be. So yes, not really reliable, but also not something that should be written off or dismissed out of hand.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Same.  I also tend to put more emphasis on stats for guys battling for positions because they should be hitting the ground running from the start of spring.  

15 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Same.  I also tend to put more emphasis on stats for guys battling for positions because they should be hitting the ground running from the start of spring.  

Yep...  I always try to distinguish veterans from young guys when talking about ST stats.  Different standards IMO.

1 hour ago, Troll Daddy said:

ST performance has value ... it's hard to turn it on and off like a faucet once the season starts. Building confidence going into the season is a good thing. 

Pujols was red hot in ST in 2012 for us, slashing .383/.437/.850 with 7 home runs and 20 RBI. In the month of April when games counted, he hit .217 with ZERO home runs (.304 slugging pct). 

Revere is usually mediocre if not terrible in Spring Training - the only other time he's put up a ST line even remotely close to this production was .... last spring. Which was the worst MLB season of his career.

I'm very happy having him on our team but I'm not annointing him anything yet.