• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shoemaker = Sleeper for the 2017 AL Cy Young?

JustATroutFan

He might have posted an ERA of 3.88 in 160 innings last year but he had an ERA of 3.10 in 139.1 innings pitched after a brutal April. Started using the splitter more and that led to his turnaround. I think he'll picth like that in 2017 and maybe even a little bit better since the Angels added 3 more really good defenders to the team in Espinosa, Maybin, and Valbuena. Team defense looks better than last year.

Matt pitched very well after his call up from the Minors last year. To be frank his performance level was near-ace like so it is not out of the realm of possibility to me as he managed to do that consistently for four months. That being said he is coming back from a very serious injury and so I think the best anyone should be hoping for is a healthy and happy Shoemaker providing middle or front of the rotation performance, that would be the best possible outcome for 2017. After that we'll see, he is a very competitive, strong willed guy so he's got that Bagger Vance one true authentic swing in him somewhere.

3 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

I would've laughed at you, had it not been for Dallas Keuchel and Rick Porcello winning the Cy Young the last two years. Now I realize, not good pitchers with one amazing year can win it. Shoe had his one year though, and it got him 2nd in the ROY voting.

How about Kluber in 2014? That was his first good season up to that point and he's been good the last 2 years as well.

Gotta love Matty Cobbler.  The splitter is a genuine plus plus pitch.  His change is actually very good as well when he uses it.  I agree with Scotty that anything can happen as Porcello winning the Cy gives Shoe some hope.  But Keuchel was truly dominant in 2015.  Porcello was good among a weak class and he plays in Boston giving him a huge edge.  

Shoe's fastball isn't dominant enough for him to put together a truly remarkable season so he'd have to rely on a low BABIP like Porcello.  

I would be thrilled if he pitched to a mid 3's era and made all his starts.  

10 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

How about Kluber in 2014? That was his first good season up to that point and he's been good the last 2 years as well.

Kluber is a pitcher where his stuff is ace level, so his performance isn't surprising at all. Keuchel and Porcello look like #4/5 starters, yet have won Cy Youngs. I'm more skeptical of them. It doesn't mean soft toasters with only one put away pitch can't be successful, it's just harder for me to believe in.

Even lower level guys can win and have very successful seasons. Hitting spots, better overall arm health, less stress outside, etc. and sometimes it comes from the defense or even the offense picking you up. When your struggling both offensively and defensively that puts more doubt in your mind as a pitcher thinking you have to be perfect with every pitch. "Been there done that"!... 

Some seasons everything comes together and you've got a chance to do something special or being extra-ordinary.... 

Maybe a distant sleeper, along with another couple dozen mid-rotation guys who could put together 30+ starts of Cy Young caliber. If I remember correctly, Shoe was incredible for a couple months after coming back, but then found a middle-ground, which I think is his true level: a #3 starter, sort of Dan Haren lite.

As a reminder after Matt got demoted and pitched his only Minor League game of the season on May 6th, 2016, he returned to the Majors starting on May 11, 2016 all the way through to the game on September 9th, 2016 where he was hit in the head. During that time period he had the following stats:

3.10 ERA

.291 wOBA (Weighted On-Base Average Against)

8.2 K/9 rate

1.3 BB/9 rate

18.9% K%-BB%

.255 Batting Average Against

1.13 WHIP

3.02 FIP

That behavior would be a starting ace-type pitcher for any team. Matt was particularly effective against RHH's, holding them to a really low 15.6% LD%. Interestingly FIP thinks he should have performed worse against RHH's (3.51 FIP) and better against LHH's (2.62 FIP). Either way he was very effective in that four month period which should warm your heart about what he is truly capable of if he is healthy and whole. Over that period he had five games where he pitched 6 or more innings and gave up ZERO runs! He had an additional 7 games where he pitched 6 or more innings and ran sub-3 ERA's!

This has been, in part, one of the reasons I have been more optimistic about our chances of making the playoffs this year as I feel confident Shoemaker can make it back from his horrific injury to give us this type of performance again. I know it may be too much to ask for the glass to be half full but, as I have said before, I like our chances.